Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin money? - page 8. (Read 112095 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 128
January 26, 2018, 06:38:29 PM
Any currency that can be exchanged equally can be said to be money. Bitcoin is a digital currency, so it can be defined as money on some occasions.

That's true, but to elaborate more, bitcoin is a type of digital currency in which encryption techniques are used to regulate the generation of units of currency and verify the transfer of funds, operating independently of a central bank. Bitcoin has become a hot commodity among speculators. Bitcoins can be used for online transactions between individuals. In other words we use Bitcoin in whatever transaction and convert it into money  in the long run
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
January 20, 2018, 02:35:42 AM
    Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

Webster's Online Dictionary defines money as:
    • 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
    • 2. Wealth reckoned in terms of money; "all his money is in real estate".
    • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
    • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
    • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
    • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
    [links omitted]
    [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

In my opinion, bitcoin we can equate with gold or silver in terms of trade, gold and silver in ancient times used for exchanges, can be in the mine and the price is quite fluctuative. Can also be said bitcoin as money but I think less precise, more appropriate as a commodity exchange. And also we can buy online, we can buy load, we can purchase online things so this is also money, I think online money that we can called it. Generally we earn bitcoin because we want to have our extra income or savings so it also a money.
    Activity: 48
    Merit: 1
    January 20, 2018, 02:27:24 AM
    For me its an asset, an item, that you hold for that you maintain for, depends on the time and season whether its price is up or down, you gain profit on it, lose profit on it, but its how you play with it.
    Activity: 84
    Merit: 5
    January 20, 2018, 02:04:21 AM
     Bitcoin is not a money but it functions as one because it is is a cryptocurrency and worldwide payment system. Bitcoin can also be changes into currencies. It may not be a money to hold or touch but its usefulness are just the same because we can buy goods through bitcoins, a lot of online shops accept bitcoins as payments for a thing we want to buy.
    Activity: 74
    Merit: 0
    January 20, 2018, 01:53:44 AM
    Bitcoin is just like other altcoin that can has pump and dump process in price just like any other things like gold, fiat money etc,. in market.I think that it can be called a full currency.
    Activity: 307
    Merit: 10
    January 20, 2018, 01:42:52 AM
      Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

Webster's Online Dictionary defines money as:
      • 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
      • 2. Wealth reckoned in terms of money; "all his money is in real estate".
      • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
      • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
      • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
      • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
      [links omitted]
      [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

Yes, bitcoin is money. You can buy new things with bitcoin. You can have what you want with bitcoin. But the different of bitcoin to the money in the world is bitcoin cannot touch or smell because it is a digital money or digital currency. There is some websites or online shops accepted bitcoin as payment, it means you can use bitcoin in buying.
      Activity: 161
      Merit: 101
      AI SOLUTION TO VOLATILITY IN YOUR CRYPTO SAVINGS
      January 20, 2018, 01:31:42 AM
      Yes , Bitcoin is a money in a form of digital. It is a new form of money where the price is volatile. Since we are entering the new age where innovation and development occur the evolution in money has been enhance that we call now Bitcoin. As of now the service of it is limited but it is developing through time and might replace the money in the future.
      Activity: 588
      Merit: 107
      January 19, 2018, 02:11:42 PM
      no, it's a type of clothing...
      Activity: 1078
      Merit: 501
      January 19, 2018, 02:10:45 PM
      Obviously, bitcoin is money because it is known as a digital currency in the crypto world and it is used for transactions worldwide. Bitcoin has the functions of a fiat money which means that it is consider as a medium of exchange. As the matter of fact, it will bring you a lot of money in the future because bitcoin is proven for having a huge amount of value as the time flies.
      Yes bitcoin is a currency and you can call it a money as well because it work same like other paper money you can buy a lot of thing such as your food, clothes and much more you can also buy online things through bitcoin and I’m paying all my bills through bitcoin from last four months I’m giving bitcoin in my tuition fees and in japan they are giving bitcoin to their staff as a salary and soon it will be started in many countries.
      Activity: 196
      January 19, 2018, 02:58:16 AM
      yes,bitcoin is money.because it makes our life more and more easy.In our regular life we need money that is possible as bitcoin.bitcoin trading now a days very atractive.so I think I say bitcoin is money
      Activity: 392
      Merit: 101
      dApps Development Automation Platform
      January 19, 2018, 02:57:55 AM
      Bitcoin is definitely money and at the same time, investment. Bitcoin before was merely an application that most people thought have no future but nowadays, a lot of people are investing in bitcoin because they see some future, a high potential for growth in value. Because of bitcoin's value's ability to increase, most people see it now as an opportunity for financial growth.
      Activity: 266
      Merit: 100
      January 19, 2018, 02:51:25 AM
      Anything that can be used as a means of payment in my opinion is money, and that includes bitcoin. Although you make a pretty good statement, but this is even confusing for beginners. I disagree with your opinion, bitcoin is money, but bitcoin has a more sustainable function.
      Activity: 21
      January 19, 2018, 02:49:44 AM
      For bitcoins, you can also buy anything on the Internet, like for dollars, euros or rubles, and it also trades on stock exchanges. The most important difference between bitcoin and all other forms of money is decentralization. No institution in the world controls bitcoin. In terms of independence, this is a plus, but in some this situation can cause distrust.
      Activity: 7
      January 19, 2018, 02:41:39 AM
      Yes, Bitcoin can be a substitute to money. You can buy or transact with other bitcoin investors, stores, and sellers with ease and less hassle by Bitcoin
      Activity: 102
      Merit: 14
      January 19, 2018, 02:38:42 AM
      Any currency that can be exchanged equally can be said to be money. Bitcoin is a digital currency, so it can be defined as money on some occasions.
      Activity: 420
      Merit: 102
      January 19, 2018, 02:04:28 AM
      I think bitcoin is a substitute for the money like china you can pay for the food for giving a bitcoin and thats we called a money.
      Yes, Bitcoin can be a substitute to money; thus, Bitcoin can be considered as another type of money. And it is a kind of money that increases as the value of Bitcoin increases. It is such a profitable one for having a high value after a long time.
      Activity: 2800
      Merit: 603
      January 19, 2018, 01:59:06 AM
      Many people say that bitcoin is more than money, if money is worth 6 then bitcoin is worth 9, this is because bitcoin value keeps increasing while money value keeps down.
      I would not say that, I know money is very important and without money bitcoin will not have its value. 
      We all based the value of bitcoin to money and bitcoin is not like money which is not good for investment, bitcoin is an asset but a liquid asset
      as anytime we can sell and cash it out.
      Activity: 71
      January 19, 2018, 12:56:11 AM
      Yes that's true bitcoin is a money. Because bitcoin can used buy or transac. Your bills. Bitcoin is used to currency or exchange to money value.
      Activity: 353
      Merit: 250
      January 18, 2018, 12:12:12 PM
      I believe that Bitcoin is like money and better.
      Activity: 1190
      Merit: 250
      January 18, 2018, 12:11:22 PM
      Many people say that bitcoin is more than money, if money is worth 6 then bitcoin is worth 9, this is because bitcoin value keeps increasing while money value keeps down.
      Pages:
      Jump to: