Pages:
Author

Topic: Is bitcoin ready for large amounts of transactions per second? - page 2. (Read 2002 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
I wonder if bitcoin network can really transfer large amounts of transactions.

No.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
Due to the design, each confirmation takes 10 minutes. The six confirmations is general, and thus requires 6 x 10 minutes in total.
Not exactly.

First we are talking about in-game transactions, which won't be handled directly by the blockchain, so they would be instant.

Second, the "slowness" we were talking about is that of bitcoind itself (not the protocol), which can be fixed coding.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
apparently bitcoind is too slow to handle high amounts of traffic.
Thanks, is it likely to be faster in the future? Or that's just the way it is, and nothing can be done?

Due to the design, each confirmation takes 10 minutes. The six confirmations is general, and thus requires 6 x 10 minutes in total.
Bitgoblin
Thanks, is it likely to be faster in the future? Or that's just the way it is, and nothing can be done?
Many things can be done, especially locally.
Since the accounts feature is basically a local database, you could just re-implement a local database and use bitcoind (or any other service supporting bitcoin) only for receiving and sending bitcoins.
This is what many sites have done, I guess: they at start use accounts because they are handy, and when transaction volume rises too high they reimplement that feature (AFAIK btct.co is just doing or has just done something like that, but I might be mistaken).

Please notice that using bitcoins as an in-game currency would also require modifying the game itself, i.e. it cannot "just replace" the current gold, since the current gold is just a traditional centralised currency fully controlled by them: they can create and destroy it at will. They quite obviously couldn't do it with bitcoins.
So they would either add bitcoin as a parallel currency, or completely redesign the whole game economy.
Hint: redesigning the whole game economy will likely never happen anywhere, at least not in any large project: the best you can expect in existing games is for the first option (i.e. bitcoins added as a parallel currency), more likely bitcoins just used "externally" to purchase game items (and item auctions if you're lucky) or exchanges allowing you to trade game gold with bitcoins (I'm writing one).
I wouldn't hold my breath, though: what you can reasonably hope for is for new games to support bitcoins.
Activity: 21
Bitgoblin
Is it technically possible to for example - have bitcoin in World of Warcraft instead of virtual gold?
Using the accounts feature, all the in-game transactions wouldn't touch the blockchain: they would be handled locally.
This discounting the fact that apparently bitcoind is too slow to handle high amounts of traffic.
Activity: 21
Hello,

Would anyone be so kind to explain what would happen if a popular online game adopted bitcoin as a main in-game currency please?
I wonder if bitcoin network can really transfer large amounts of transactions.
Is it technically possible to for example - have bitcoin in World of Warcraft instead of virtual gold?

If it's not suitable now, can it be suitable in the future?
What needs to be changed? What are the limitations?

Thanks,
Pages:
Jump to: