Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Blockchain-based social media worth it? - page 6. (Read 825 times)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501
August 16, 2019, 06:47:21 AM
It's hard to know, the main difference between these new platforms and the mainstream ones is that they offer their users the chance of earning crypto by using them, at least in the case of Steem and HyperSpace, and this is what their users are looking for. They are not so interested in the platforms features or advantages, but in earning crypto with them. However, the earnings that one user can get with those platforms are currently too low, so the number of users doesn't grow significantly. My impression is that the future of these platforms will depend totally on the future of cryptocurrencies, if they become mainstream these platforms will have a chance, if not, they will stand as they are now.
Activity: 1197
Merit: 482
August 15, 2019, 05:37:55 PM
My flippant response is no, no social media is worth it. But on second thought blockchain based social media would be a good move, if and only if the blockchain was immutable. A good thing for centralized governments to use to track people with and a good thing for doxing trolls. Yeah, I'm still not seeing the benefit.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
August 15, 2019, 05:34:13 PM
After Blockchain's success within the mainstream world, we've seen various implementations of it into areas of finance, notarization of documents, proof of identity, and more. Yet, one of the most exciting implementations of the Blockchain has been social media, in my opinion. The first-ever social media platform was Steem, but other alternatives started to gain traction after it. We now have AKASHA (ETH Blockchain), HyperSpace (AMP cryptocurrency), and even Voice (EOS Blockchain).

With so many Blockchain implementations of a social network, it's becoming evident that this is the industry of the future. Of course, none of the mentioned platforms have been able to overcome Facebook or even Twitter. But the potential is there, to help change our world for the better. Still though, the number of users within these platforms are not comparable to the likes of Facebook.

Which makes me wonder, if Blockchain-based social media platforms are actually worth it? Do you think there's a future for them? Or are they just a niche? Huh
Pages:
Jump to: