Pages:
Author

Topic: Is CPU Mining Completely Phased Out? - page 2. (Read 1803 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
July 25, 2013, 02:42:50 AM
Yeah man I hate to be the bearer of bad news but cpu mining in now completely obsolete. Your gpu is just so much better for mining. if you are going to mine for coins which is really hard to do now because of the difficulty you need to go gpu or go home.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
July 25, 2013, 02:19:12 AM
Cpu mining is done. Difficulty is way too high now for it to be viable. If you want to use a cpu miner, best advice is to go for LiteCoin.
Activity: 6
July 24, 2013, 09:02:06 PM
In terms of BTC yes, CPUs put out less than 10 % than average GPU's can manage. in todays markets even GPU mining becoming a outdated system. with the level of difficulty we experience now even the highest end GPU only have the potential to break even after a few months.
However that being said the alternative currencies will beging to demand the physical hard ware again. BTC is on the way to dedicated hardware only. other coins might be back at CPU mining and then make a similar progression much like BTC.

this i trusts counts as substance...
Activity: 18
July 24, 2013, 08:40:33 PM
I know that everyone strongly recommends against CPU mining, however, I would like to know if CPU mining is still possible however inefficient it may be?  CGMiner appears to have dropped support for CPU mining even though there is a CPU version that is still included as of 3.3.1:

Q: What happened to CPU mining?
A: Being increasingly irrelevant for most users, and a maintenance issue, it is
no longer under active development and will not be supported. No binary builds
supporting CPU mining will be released. Virtually all remaining users of CPU
mining are as back ends for illegal botnets. The main reason cgminer is being
inappopriately tagged as a virus by antivirus software is due to the trojans
packaging a CPU mining capable version of it. There is no longer ANY CPU mining
code in cgminer. If you are mining bitcoin with CPU today, you are spending
1000x more in electricity costs than you are earning in bitcoin.

Are there any other mining programs that still do CPU mining for either bitcoin or litecoin?
Pages:
Jump to: