Pages:
Author

Topic: Is crytocurrency hyperinflationary? - page 3. (Read 5212 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
May 05, 2011, 12:08:09 PM
There will be competitors.

The hyperinflationary ones won't last.

The winning p2p cryptocurrency might not be Bitcoin, but the concept of a p2p cryptocurrency offers new features that are in high demand with a lot of people in the world, so it's more than just a fun new toy that will lose its appeal after the hype is over.

Why are you so absolutist about Bitcoin's future?  Complete failure <=> Huge success  is a false dichotomy.

There is no reason that Bitcoin can't remain sustainable as a secondary currency such as the CHF or silver, or even as a niche product.

One of the closest things to Bitcoin prior to its arrival was Liberty Reserve.

According to  Google Trends, Bitcoin has already overtaken Liberty Reserve in popularity.
http://www.google.ch/trends?q=bitcoin%2C+%22liberty+reserve%22

Liberty Reserve has been a successful niche product for several years now.  Why can't Bitcoin?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
May 05, 2011, 11:45:19 AM
Spare me your rants. Share your solutions.
Yes, it might blow up in your face. The most obvious solution is to just not invest money in it. It's not meant as a speculation vehicle anyway, but to trade with.

Once services are available that are useful to you, denominated in BTC, you can use it to pay for them. Until then, just sit back and wait where it goes.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
May 05, 2011, 11:28:10 AM
Not a problem.

All the other currencies have to compete and distinguish themselves from the competition. Bitcoin have a massive first mover advantage that will be very hard to dislodge.

Yes you might be right. Time will tell.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
May 05, 2011, 11:26:21 AM
Not a problem.

All the other currencies have to compete and distinguish themselves from the competition. Bitcoin have a massive first mover advantage that will be very hard to dislodge.

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
May 05, 2011, 11:23:04 AM
Bitcoin supply is limited. So far so good.

The supply of alternative, competing cryptocurrencies is unlimited. Very bad.

Imagine a world with dozens or hundreds of competing cryptocurrencies. They would each have minimal value.

Bitcoin doesn't look like a hard currency solution to government money printing. It's the ultimate soft currency.

Bitcoins may have a brief moment in the sun as media coverage inflates a bubble of interest. But I doubt it's sustainable.

I'm sure this simple observation will grate with many of you. Sorry.

Spare me your rants. Share your solutions.
Pages:
Jump to: