Pages:
Author

Topic: Is developing your own Wallet safer? - page 4. (Read 8721 times)

staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
February 19, 2017, 10:38:21 AM
Developing your own wallet can in fact be very dangerous to your Bitcoin. You must understand the ins and outs of the entire Bitcoin protocol, down to the byte level. Screw something up, and you could lose all of your Bitcoin or be vulnerable to an attack. If your wallet is closed source, then you won't get any review from experts who can tell you whether there are serious bugs in your code. Furthermore, security through obscurity both doesn't matter here and is rarely any security at all.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
February 19, 2017, 09:08:42 AM
It doesn't necessary.

Having a program open sourced does not necessarily mean that the program would be more vulnerable. Known wallets are open sourced to allow the user to review it themselves and search for any bugs. A zero day exploit is not all that likely.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 19, 2017, 06:49:45 AM
I wouldn't say it's particularly necessary, since some wallets offer a lot of features anyway and are quite secure.  You could even just buy a hardware wallet like TREZOR which is nearly completely safe and would still take a lot less work than developing your own wallet, especially if you needed some of the features that major wallets have.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
February 19, 2017, 06:39:07 AM
Would developing your own Bitcoin Wallet be safer than using known ones like Electrum? It would obviously be much simpler, with no GUI, worse overall security but no one could get their hands on its source code. I have enough programming experience myself to make it but I'm wondering if it even makes sense to do so.
 Thank for your help!
Pages:
Jump to: