Pages:
Author

Topic: Is GPU mining even worth an investment? - page 3. (Read 6807 times)

legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
February 06, 2014, 09:57:40 PM
For bitcoins sure is not a good idea

Hi - I'm brand new here, and brand new to mining.

RE: Mining bitcoin via GPU not being a good idea - is this because of the difficulty curve that I read about, which adjusts as more bitcoin are mined, and as technology advances?

Thanks!

GPU mining for bitcoin no longer makes sense. The power per hash is large compared to ASICs and the speed is slow. And it is only getting worse.
Activity: 243
Merit: 250
February 06, 2014, 11:25:58 AM
I am trying to build a dedicated mining rig with a budget of roughly 10K.

Should I buy a bunch of GPUs run the hell out of them, and them sell them when the ASICs chips come out?

I hear a lot about how GPU mining is not worth the investment, but if you are new and want to front run the ASICs cards. And then use profits to purchase to upgrade is this a feasible solution?

You would be better off buying those ASICs now, a lot of manufacturer already selling them..
Activity: 910
Merit: 253
February 06, 2014, 09:47:24 AM

Should I buy a bunch of GPUs run the hell out of them, and them sell them when the ASICs chips come out?

I hear a lot about how GPU mining is not worth the investment, but if you are new and want to front run the ASICs cards. And then use profits to purchase to upgrade is this a feasible solution?

yes in scrypt, not in SHA. Right now you can mine more BTC per $ if you build scrypt machines (including electricity) than buying an equal costly SHA machine.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
February 06, 2014, 01:31:15 AM
Mine altcoins using multi mining pool, combine it with CPU mining and If electricity is cheap then it can be profitable.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
February 05, 2014, 09:32:14 PM

Hi - I'm brand new here, and brand new to mining.

RE: Mining bitcoin via GPU not being a good idea - is this because of the difficulty curve that I read about, which adjusts as more bitcoin are mined, and as technology advances?

Thanks!
Activity: 5
February 05, 2014, 09:30:56 PM
It's so hard to figure out what the best bang for the buck is with the upcoming hardware coming out.

The Antminer S1s do not look to bad, but how quickly will they stop breaking even in the near future?

I know that I could hold onto a few for a x-amount of time, toss it on ebay and screw some poor person.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.

I would rather not buy straight bit coins because I have some thing up my sleeve.

Any help would be welcome because I am looking to start ASAP.

Activity: 50
February 05, 2014, 09:01:49 PM
Only worth it for mining altcoins. As to how long, depends on how long ASIC's (alpha technology and others) takes to ship.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
February 05, 2014, 05:40:40 PM
Have a look at Alpha Technology. They are promising the first ASIC scrypt miner. I have a group buy going if you are interested.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain
February 05, 2014, 05:24:38 PM
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
February 05, 2014, 04:05:09 PM
don't!
it's not profitable anymore IMHO.
gpu-s are expensive, high power consumption and scrypt asic-s are behind corner.
you'll never gonna make ROI.
if you think you'll gonna resell those gpu-s think again. shit load of them will be for sale everywhere after people stop mining with them! if you think people will made up some XY coin with XY algo to keep gpu-s in mining business think again.
my advice, keep away from gpu mining.
wait for next generation of miners (5-7TH) since there is no peace of asic gear worth of buying right now and be fast on buying.
Activity: 728
Merit: 265
February 05, 2014, 03:29:09 PM

A lot of ASIC chips are already out there hashing. Unfortunately GPU mining is working only for altcoins nowdays - ASIC is far more effective and profitable. But then again - you have to invest A LOT to gain a profit out of it.
Activity: 5
February 05, 2014, 03:00:44 PM

Pages:
Jump to: