Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it just me or do ALOT of bitcoin sites look just awful? - page 2. (Read 2805 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Anything that is made by a programmer will make an average persons eyes bleed or their head hurt from my experience so we'll have to wait until Bitcoin becomes more mainstream before we see some prettier sites.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002
Also I have noticed that many Bitcoin sites use Twitter Bootstrap (I am one of them who use BTW Wink), so they don't look ugly but some users are a bit annoyed seeing the same design 1000 times!
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
best coders love 1999 style sites
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
What do you guys think?

Bitcoin sites serve a small subset of the population and aren't necessarily big earners.

Good design is expensive with costs are incurred up-front.   A few Bitcoin-related services are generating profit right off the block (e.g., SatoshiDICE) so as to be self-supporting but most others would require the investment to be able to pay for UX and design help.  Bitcoin businesses don't have the same type of investor base as most other e-commerce and online businesses, so even if a programmer who launched a service wanted to get a better design and is willing to give up equity to do so, there might not be any investors willing to make that leap of faith as well.

When there's money to be made, better design will be a component that differentiates services.    In the meantime, a service that competes by being lean and functional trumps being beautiful.
Activity: 715
Bitcoin Venezuela
It seems like most of bitcoin related websites are developed by coders and no designer get involved.
Activity: 518
Kind of interesting though because bitcoiners tend to me more technically inclined and avid internet users, but I guess that doesnt really say anything about design skills anyways :p

Exactly. My experience is that technical people can create a very utilitarian web page that does exactly what it needs.  If the users don't like it that's their fault! Tongue  On the other hand, a lot of professional web design folk couldn't tell you the difference between IP address and a printer. 

Since most BTC sites are solo or small groups that are working in their free time they don't really want to shell out for web design and, thus, goofy lookin' websites.

This will rectify itself as BTC gains more popularity and BTC stores can go from part-time to full-time gigs for their owners.
Activity: 220
Merit: 100
I also think a lot of people don't know that a lot is two words!  Wink
force of habit Smiley

True, there are alot a lot of really bad looking websites on the web in general. Kind of interesting though because bitcoiners tend to me more technically inclined and avid internet users, but I guess that doesnt really say anything about design skills anyways :p

really, doesn't even have to look good, but having a easy to understand navigation and UI goes a long ways.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
I think that you are right
Activity: 220
Merit: 100
At least half the time I go to a bitcoin related website, service, whatever, it feels like im in like at least the year 2003 or something. Like some of the sites out there are just atrocious to look at and hard as hell to figure out/navigate.

What do you guys think?
Pages:
Jump to: