Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it possible to solo mine a whole block solely on insane luck? - page 2. (Read 523 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 1
There is no 'fully mine a block', each hash is random and each hash has a specific probability of finding a block.

It's purely random luck statistics for every single block mined.

Same as rolling a dice - how often you roll the dice determines how often you 'expect' to get a 6.
But anyone can roll a 6 on the first try (1 in 6 chance)

Just with bitcoin the numbers are ridiculously much larger.
Firstly, the dice has 2^256 sides (~10^77 or getting close to the number of atoms in the universe)
There's also a number of the sides that count as a block (currently a little more than 8^19 or 9.0x10^22)

So it boils down to probability, not 'yes or no'.

So e.g. a 90TH/s miner currently has an approximately 1 in 11625 chance of finding a block in a full day of mining.
So that leads to: 9TH/s is 1 in 116250 ... etc.

However, don't extrapolate these numbers into the future, coz the probability changes every 2016 blocks mined.

Okay, thanks. This basically answers the confusion I initially had.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
There is no 'fully mine a block', each hash is random and each hash has a specific probability of finding a block.

It's purely random luck statistics for every single block mined.

Same as rolling a dice - how often you roll the dice determines how often you 'expect' to get a 6.
But anyone can roll a 6 on the first try (1 in 6 chance)

Just with bitcoin the numbers are ridiculously much larger.
Firstly, the dice has 2^256 sides (~10^77 or getting close to the number of atoms in the universe)
There's also a number of the sides that count as a block (currently a little more than 8^19 or 9.0x10^22)

So it boils down to probability, not 'yes or no'.

So e.g. a 90TH/s miner currently has an approximately 1 in 11625 chance of finding a block in a full day of mining.
So that leads to: 9TH/s is 1 in 116250 ... etc.

However, don't extrapolate these numbers into the future, coz the probability changes every 2016 blocks mined.
Activity: 8
Merit: 1
Hey everyone,

This question might sound dumb, but as I am not so savvy with the technicals of how mining works, I just have one question:

As far as I know, blocks are mined based on "bruteforcing" the hash or something along those lines for the block headers... and the more mining power, the harder the hash gets (difficulty increases). When the first person gets the correct hash, or gets the luckiest so to speak, they get the reward and the block is confirmed. Today, as the hashrate increases, large mining pools get larger and the difficulty gets too competitive for solo miners, it becomes impossible for a solo miner to get any rewards (unless you join a pool of course)

If someone were to join the mempool completely solo, and attempt to mine a block (let's say they have insane, basically impossible luck in bruteforcing the hashes) is it technically possible for them from a theoretical standpoint to fully mine a block and get the 6 bitcoin reward all for himself?
Shocked

If I completely have the wrong idea on how this works, let me know and ill delete the post.

Wink

Thanks, Alec
Pages:
Jump to: