Pages:
Author

Topic: Is It Safe To Transfer Wallets Through The Internet? - page 2. (Read 2000 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
If you do not have many BTC in your Multibit wallet, I think you can send it as attachment to your E mail.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
why transfer it? you might just create a new one and transfer the amount you need, tell your friend to transfer the amount you need
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
IF it's encrypted and your emails and computers are safe then you should be fine. If they're not safe then you've got problems and someone could always find a copy later so I'd only do it if you know it's safe and desperately need it.
Activity: 658
Hi.
Stupidly, I left my BTC wallet (it's on a thumbdrive) at home. I was wondering if it was safe for someone to e-mail it to me? The wallet has a MultiBit password but i'm not entirely sure it would secure it enough. Is there a way I can completely secure it if I were to pass it through e-mail or should i just be patient and wait a week until i'm home? I currently use a temporary wallet with nothing in it - but its still a wallet.
Thanks

If you need your "old" wallet urgently, someone could email it to you quite easily.
But I recommend to use some precaution; for example both of you can use Confidesk ( http://confidesk.com/ ), then your friend should send an encrypted email using a passphrase only you know. Using this method it's pretty sure to receive your funds without any concern.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
What encryption is concerned: it depends. The wallet will be only as secure as the encryption you used to encrypt it beforehand. If you don't encrypt it at all, there's no safety whatsoever. People using a truly random one-time-pad may be completely safe.
Oh, important: Never let a computer on the Internet that is able to decrypt the wallet (has the key to decrypt the wallet), since if that computer is compromised your wallet has to be considered compromised, as well.
Hi,
Thanks for the tip, I currently store my wallet on a flash drive that I carry around with me. I'll have a try at your idea when I get my wallet back.
Thanks Smiley
Activity: 686
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night
What encryption is concerned: it depends. The wallet will be only as secure as the encryption you used to encrypt it beforehand. If you don't encrypt it at all, there's no safety whatsoever. People using a truly random one-time-pad may be completely safe.
Oh, important: Never let a computer on the Internet that is able to decrypt the wallet (has the key to decrypt the wallet), since if that computer is compromised your wallet has to be considered compromised, as well.
Hi.
Stupidly, I left my BTC wallet (it's on a thumbdrive) at home. I was wondering if it was safe for someone to e-mail it to me? The wallet has a MultiBit password but i'm not entirely sure it would secure it enough. Is there a way I can completely secure it if I were to pass it through e-mail or should i just be patient and wait a week until i'm home? I currently use a temporary wallet with nothing in it - but its still a wallet.
Thanks

I won't send it directly with emails. If you need your bitcoin urgently I would suggest you to ask someone to further encrypt the file (using 7zip, winrar, or whatever software you trust) before sending it, and ofc don't include that encryption password in the email.

Okay, thank you
Activity: 674
Hi.
Thanks

I won't send it directly with emails. If you need your bitcoin urgently I would suggest you to ask someone to further encrypt the file (using 7zip, winrar, or whatever software you trust) before sending it, and ofc don't include that encryption password in the email.
Hi.
Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: