Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it still possible to double spend? - page 2. (Read 1883 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
nahtnam.com
January 13, 2015, 08:15:26 PM
if you are not sending out any product or service instantly.. then it doesnt matter.. donations can be accepted anytime.. after all what is the sender needing to wait for after they send... nothing. so confirms or not the donator wont care/notice.

if you want to thank the donater, all you could do is just have a message that says
"it appears someone loves me and sent me a donation. many thanks, i love you back" .. as soon as it appears in the tx pool (unconfirmed)

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
January 13, 2015, 08:14:19 PM
if you are not sending out any product or service instantly.. then it doesnt matter.. donations can be accepted anytime.. after all what is the sender needing to wait for after they send... nothing. so confirms or not the donator wont care/notice.

if you want to thank the donater, all you could do is just have a message that says
"it appears someone loves me and sent me a donation. many thanks, i love you back" .. as soon as it appears in the tx pool (unconfirmed)

legendary
Merit: 1001
January 13, 2015, 08:12:57 PM
You can have double-spending only if :
- the seller use a node server with no others nodes connected
- the buyer use ... the same node server
- the transaction is OK for both party with 0 confirmation

It's impossible.
In real life networking, you have 6-9 nodes to sprend the transaction ...

So its safe for me to accept 0 confirmations?

All reputable businesses will use 1. You don't truly have the coins until at least 1 confirmation.
Don't pull a Mt.Gox and leave yourself open with loose code. Protect yourself.
legendary
nahtnam.com
January 13, 2015, 08:07:51 PM

It's impossible.

So its safe for me to accept 0 confirmations?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
January 13, 2015, 08:05:10 PM

It's impossible.
legendary
nahtnam.com
January 13, 2015, 08:01:28 PM
Its actually more of a donation thing. Im not really selling anything.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002
January 13, 2015, 09:18:39 AM
What you plan to sell?
As I gamble from time to time on luckyb.it and there I can gamble with unconfirmed amount.

Let's say I have 0.3BTC and I gamble all of them in 1 bet, I get the outcome in a matter of seconds and then I get the BTC in my account unconfirmed and I can bet again and again.... so if they go for 0 confirmation I guess you are safe to do it also... or you can contact them and ask them how they did it Smiley

Also don't be so naive to relay on what mtgox relied when they got "hacked" as it is very strange to me that everyone knew about that thing and only after mtgox publicly complained about it they got "hacked"!

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
January 13, 2015, 07:22:09 AM
Hey!

I was wondering what the chances of a double spend is.

I am asking because I am building a website and cant decide between 0 and 1 confirmations.

Is it really that big of a risk if I just set it to 1 confirmation?

Thanks.

1 confirmation is usually good enough. However to be safe for sure you can keep it to 2 confirmations.

Thats what most of the sites do .
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.
January 13, 2015, 07:17:51 AM
Hey!

I am asking because I am building a website and cant decide between 0 and 1 confirmations.

Thanks.

0 confirmation double spend is relative easy. To analyse the likelihood of a double spend you would have to analyse the incoming transactions. How big is the transaction (byte), how high is the priority, is a fee paid, is the fee high enough considering the priority/size, is one of the inputs unconfirmed, etc.
Unless you expect your customers to go elsewhere because they have to wait for a few minutes I would go with 1 confirmation.  To reverse a transaction that already has one confirmation is very difficult and would require a reorganisation of the blocks.
Activity: 568
Merit: 500
Smoke weed everyday!
January 13, 2015, 02:34:53 AM
Hey!

Thanks.
It really depends on what exactly you are selling on your website. If you are selling low value items and don't generally sell more then a few hundred dollars every 10 minutes or so then you should probably be fine with a 0/unconfirmed transaction as the risk of a double spend is low because it would probably cost more to attempt the double spend then the value of what could potentially be stolen from you.

If the value of what you are selling is much more, in the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars then you should wait for at least one confirmation as at this rate the cost of attempting a double spend would likely cost less then then value of what an attacker would be trying to steal
legendary
nahtnam.com
January 13, 2015, 01:38:21 AM
Hey!

Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: