Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it worth mining? - page 3. (Read 3126 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
October 04, 2015, 09:37:43 PM
Even if you have free electricity ROI is hard to reach if you spend money for miners

In 4 years with free electricity, one still may not make their money back? I'm personally not a miner, and I understand it's too late in the game for the general population to get involved... but that sounds ridiculous. With free electricity, OP still shouldn't expect to turn a profit?

Some are pretty anti-mining.   Best way to calculate ROI is something like this - https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

OP add up all costs including if you have VAT, etc.   That will help you see how long a miner would take to pay off.   Also when you say 4 years are you talking about some kinda student housing where you just have one room?

Ahh I see, it makes sense that you would have to take other variables into account (like heat and bandwidth(?) I would assume). I've been in Bitcoin way too long to still have relatively no clue on mining, so trying to teach myself a little bit Tongue
Activity: 462
Merit: 336
October 04, 2015, 09:36:39 PM
Asking questions like this regularly mean that you're not prepared to consider mining. You need to be aware of every cost involved before you get into a project. Mining is extremely competitive and extraordinarily saturated at this point. You may be better off mining alt-coins and selling them for BTC.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
October 04, 2015, 09:31:24 PM
Best way to calculate ROI is something like this - https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator
Just make sure that if you get any long-term results before breaking even, you check whether the calculator being used takes the reward halving come half-way-ish 2016 into account; this one does not at this time.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
October 04, 2015, 07:23:15 PM
I think you might have more luck mining some altcoins rather than Bitcoin to make any profit.

What gear do you suggest doing this with?   Mining altcoins is much easier said then done.

Most of R/D goes into bitcoin (sha) miners.  The best chance of ROI is likely with a btc asic not some old scrypt asic.

If you have free electricity, you could safely go with a proper rig of GPUs, but this discussion belong in another forum section.

So for the limit of this topic, the only way to go is ASIC, the question is which ASIC which raise the following questions;

Your location;
Outside Temp;
Housing condition;
Electricity cost;
Electricity grid capacity
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
October 04, 2015, 07:20:09 PM
I think you might have more luck mining some altcoins rather than Bitcoin to make any profit.

What gear do you suggest doing this with?   Mining altcoins is much easier said then done.

Most of R/D goes into bitcoin (sha) miners.  The best chance of ROI is likely with a btc asic not some old scrypt asic.
legendary
Activity: 1848
October 04, 2015, 05:19:18 PM
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
October 04, 2015, 05:08:50 PM
Even if you have free electricity ROI is hard to reach if you spend money for miners

In 4 years with free electricity, one still may not make their money back? I'm personally not a miner, and I understand it's too late in the game for the general population to get involved... but that sounds ridiculous. With free electricity, OP still shouldn't expect to turn a profit?

Tell us more about your mining capacity, and your location.

The way i would do it right now is grab all the S3 for under 80$ i can. Grab all the S5 for under 250$ and mine them for the next year. Wait until the halving to see what happen. But these generate Heat and Noise. So free electricity is not the only concern.

Give us more information. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1456
October 04, 2015, 02:14:06 PM

Some are pretty anti-mining.   Best way to calculate ROI is something like this - https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

OP add up all costs including if you have VAT, etc.   That will help you see how long a miner would take to pay off.   Also when you say 4 years are you talking about some kinda student housing where you just have one room?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
October 04, 2015, 01:40:06 PM

Activity: 61
Merit: 10
October 04, 2015, 01:38:05 PM
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
October 04, 2015, 08:05:34 AM
Hey guys.

I am currently living in a place where I will get free power for the next 4 years. With the price of miners at the moment should I buy a miner and start mining? If so will it be profitable?

If so what type of miner should I buy?

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: