Pages:
Author

Topic: Is labor theory of value a tautology? - page 2. (Read 9718 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
November 22, 2011, 12:39:41 PM
I would like to start out by saying it is a "false proposition" shows a bias against it. It is a "proposition", no more, no less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost-of-production_theory_of_value
Different labor theories of value prevailed amongst classical economists through to the mid-19th century. It is especially associated with Adam Smith and David Ricardo. Since that time it is most often associated with Marxian economics; while among modern mainstream economists it is considered to be superseded by the marginal utility approach.

Notice that it is not "considerd to be false" only superseded.

Well, regardless of what modern mainstream economists consider, I consider it false. But maybe prejudices blind me. Here's a clue of where my prejudices may come from:

http://www.community-exchange.org/docs/Gesell/en/neo/part3/11.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_theory_of_value
Smith's theory of price (which for many is the same as value) has nothing to do with the past labor spent in the production of a commodity. It speaks only of the labor that can be "commanded" or "saved" at present. If there is no use for a buggy whip then the item is economically worthless in trade or in use, regardless of the all the labor spent in its creation.

You ignored this quote in the last thread, but it points out that your silly arguments of "the sculpture cost a million to make but is considered worthless so LTV is false" does not apply.

Admittedly, labor that can be "commanded" or "saved" at present is really just another way of showing marginal utility, but in essence, not in formula. Marginalism is capable of showing this in formula and that is the primary reason it has superseded LTV.

I'm having troubles understanding this last thing and how it relates with our discussion. Can you make an example, please?

From the economist most associated with the LTV prior to Marx:

The value of any commodity, ... to the person who possesses it, and who means not to use or consume it himself, but to exchange it for other commodities, is equal to the quantity of labour which it enables him to purchase or command. Labour, therefore, is the real measure of the exchangeable value of all commodities (Wealth of Nations Book 1, chapter V)

You continue to maintain that labor is the cost to produce and that this is equal to the value. This is not what Smith has ever said. Marx viewed it differently in proposing a communist state for his own reasons. That does not mean that the LTV = Marx's LTV.

Ok, so what's the difference between them?
Is replacing "costs of production" with "labor" the only difference?
We can focus on the one you prefer, because I'm denying both.

Many economists believe that the Marxist labor theory of value has been "discredited". The criticism revolves around the undue stress Marx put on labor, ignoring other sources of value.

Note how Smith or anyone prior to Smith is not mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_the_labour_theory_of_value
Criticisms of the labour theory of value often arise from an economic criticism of Marxism.

Note how wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to LTV's criticisms, but comes with a warning that it is really a criticism of Marxism.

Whenever you say "that is LTV there" without someone explicitly stating they are using LTV is false. They could simply be assuming marginal utility. However, you seem to feel it is your pedantic duty to point this out, and I felt it was my pedantic duty to point out your pedanticity. Marginalism is a much more complex concept and difficult to state in a post on the internet. LTV "assumes" marginal utility rather than explicitly states it, so it may "look like" someone is using LTV to make a point when it's a pretty safe bet that they understand the concept of marginal utility. Ergo, you sound like a windbag.

Please, stop insulting me. Nobody gains anything from it.
Let's focus on our disagreement and its roots. Let's see if we can finally find them.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
November 22, 2011, 11:15:57 AM
I would like to start out by saying it is a "false proposition" shows a bias against it. It is a "proposition", no more, no less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost-of-production_theory_of_value
Different labor theories of value prevailed amongst classical economists through to the mid-19th century. It is especially associated with Adam Smith and David Ricardo. Since that time it is most often associated with Marxian economics; while among modern mainstream economists it is considered to be superseded by the marginal utility approach.

Notice that it is not "considerd to be false" only superseded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_theory_of_value
Smith's theory of price (which for many is the same as value) has nothing to do with the past labor spent in the production of a commodity. It speaks only of the labor that can be "commanded" or "saved" at present. If there is no use for a buggy whip then the item is economically worthless in trade or in use, regardless of the all the labor spent in its creation.

You ignored this quote in the last thread, but it points out that your silly arguments of "the sculpture cost a million to make but is considered worthless so LTV is false" does not apply.

Admittedly, labor that can be "commanded" or "saved" at present is really just another way of showing marginal utility, but in essence, not in formula. Marginalism is capable of showing this in formula and that is the primary reason it has superseded LTV.

From the economist most associated with the LTV prior to Marx:

The value of any commodity, ... to the person who possesses it, and who means not to use or consume it himself, but to exchange it for other commodities, is equal to the quantity of labour which it enables him to purchase or command. Labour, therefore, is the real measure of the exchangeable value of all commodities (Wealth of Nations Book 1, chapter V)

You continue to maintain that labor is the cost to produce and that this is equal to the value. This is not what Smith has ever said. Marx viewed it differently in proposing a communist state for his own reasons. That does not mean that the LTV = Marx's LTV.

Many economists believe that the Marxist labor theory of value has been "discredited". The criticism revolves around the undue stress Marx put on labor, ignoring other sources of value.

Note how Smith or anyone prior to Smith is not mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_the_labour_theory_of_value
Criticisms of the labour theory of value often arise from an economic criticism of Marxism.

Note how wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to LTV's criticisms, but comes with a warning that it is really a criticism of Marxism.

Whenever you say "that is LTV there" without someone explicitly stating they are using LTV is false. They could simply be assuming marginal utility. However, you seem to feel it is your pedantic duty to point this out, and I felt it was my pedantic duty to point out your pedanticity. Marginalism is a much more complex concept and difficult to state in a post on the internet. LTV "assumes" marginal utility rather than explicitly states it, so it may "look like" someone is using LTV to make a point when it's a pretty safe bet that they understand the concept of marginal utility. Ergo, you sound like a windbag.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
November 22, 2011, 10:13:38 AM
I've been discussing lately with Etlase2 about this theory in another thread, but I feel we went too off-topic and I decided to start this one.
Sorry, because this subject has been probably discussed several times here.

Although I don't know exactly where we disagree, it's clear that we do.
We're talking about this theory.
This is how understand the theory is wrong:

I don't think LTV is a tautology, I think it is a false proposition: "things are worth (and priced) what it costs to produce them".
And it is based on the false proposition that value is an absolute quality that can be measured through prices.
The reason why stuff is priced approximately what it costs to produce them is that if a business spends more in production it goes bankrupt.
And if a business prices its products far above its costs, the competition takes its place. But never because the costs of production give the product any value.

But he says I'm not getting his point:

"It is not that pearls fetch a high price because men have dived for them; but on the contrary, men dive for them because they fetch a high price."

And it is based on the false proposition that price is an absolute quality that can be measured through value.

See what I did there? It's arguing whether or not A = 3-1 or A = 1+1. The price is known, both theories attempt to discover why the price is what it is. There are no absolutes in either. The variables are always going to add up to the price because the price is the only thing we know. They are both attempts to explain phenomena. LTV is generally an intrinsic explanation, marginalism is generally a subjective explanation. Marginalism just happened to be developed around the same time that Marx adjusted the LTV to suit his needs, and marginalism filled in most of the blanks that Marx (or the LTV) had not yet explained. Just because the LTV has not received similar treatment does not mean that it is false, it just means that modern economists switched perspectives and stopped working on it (mostly because they hated Marx).

Does someone gets his point and can explain to me in a way that I can understand it?
Pages:
Jump to: