Pages:
Author

Topic: Is market cap really something that matters in a coins value? Because... - page 2. (Read 230 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078
Is market cap really something that matters in a coins value?

Market cap and market valuation are different. Like davis196 mentioned, it is quite easy to create a coin with unlimited supply and pump it up to have a big market cap. Does it mean the coin has any significant market valuation? No. Market cap indicates the current demand of a coin, specifically short-term. You can't simply predict if a coin is going to be in demand in future based on current market cap, valuation matters.
Activity: 2968
Merit: 913
This question is asked before and i don`t know why people continue to ask about marker caps.
The market cap doesn`t matter to me.The current price of a coin is the only thing that matters.
Let`s say that i create a brand new altcoin with 1M coins limited supply.I will list that coin in some crypto exchange platforms and buy a few coins for 1$ per coin,using multiple accounts that i`ve created in those exchange platforms. This would mean that i will pump my altcoin`s market cap to 1M USD,using only a few hundred,or maybe thousand dollars to invest. Grin
Activity: 487
Merit: 266
Hello,

Ok so, everytime you take a look at a coin's price prediction with a google search, like for instance Cardano, you always have the hopeful heard that says "10$ by the end of 2018!" if not more, while some more rational people will say it's not possible, 2$ max, because with the supply of coins (which is 25 billion for ada according to cmc), a 10$ share would mean a 250 billion market cap.

So in essence, rationally, you can sort of predict a coins price by simply looking at coin supply and doing basic math.

Yet, it is a known fact that Ethereum for instance has no coin limit. Although there are not as many coins as Ada (about 100 million to round it up), people are today still ready to pay up to 1400$ a coin, which means an MC of 140 billion USD not a week ago. I'm pretty sure that 1400$ is still the lower/middle end of what 1 ETH will be valued at some point. Heck, it was barely worth 7$ a year ago, and I bet you people were saying the same thing back then "1000$ not possible".

Same thing with the global market cap, what were people saying 3-4 years ago? I bet a trillion market cap seemed pretty impossible.

History repeats itself. People are not rational when it comes to cryptos and we are still in what you could call early stages. It's only been what, a few months now that Bitcoin has gathered interest from the masses. What's your impression? Is marketcap really an indicator? Because when you take a look at Cardano, it looks like a waaay better version of ETH. And as much as I like Ethereum, it's starting to show it's weaknesses and I feel the roadmap and general news about the coin don't make up for the price of 1400$.

So yeah, just curious to see what other's think.

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: