Pages:
Author

Topic: Is old 3.5 floppy safer than USB drive for cold storage? - page 5. (Read 5727 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Reading the replies in this thread makes me realize that hardly anyone uses an offline wallet  or makes transactions from an offline wallet (if they even know what that is).
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
For transferring, an offline computer with a CD burner is good enough.

For long term storage, engraved metal is the best bet.
Reading the replies in this thread makes me realize that hardly anyone uses an offline wallet or makes transactions from an offline wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
Bout as durable as a human head vs 50BMG...
Activity: 658
How durable are floppy disks anyway? That is my primary concern.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
No, FDD , definitely not ... these moddern FDD media dont last longer then a couple writes. Shit gets corrupted so fast.
This aint like the quality FDD media we had back in the 90's , today its all junk.
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Floppies seem to have a life of about 15 years (give or take). And flash media needs to be powered up every once in awhile to prevent you from losing data.

I personally have password protected wallets inside a TrueCrypted file, copied and stored on multiple forms of digital backup. If one backup fails, I have plenty of other methods. I highly suggest this.

You know that there is speculation that TrueCrypt has been compromised?

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
hard drive unplug = more than 18 years (1 time per month, less than 5 min)
USB key unplug = more than 12 years (1 time per month, less than 5 min)
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.
Printing the private key out using armory is much safer.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
CD-R = 8 years
DVD-R = 3,5 years

i took about writed cd and dvd ... not the industrial branch of music cd and dvd movies = 18 years.

i have loose a big amount of CD before 6 years ... and a hell amount of DVD before 4 years.  Sad
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
With the news on USB firmware hacks I was wondering if I should add a 3.5" floppy to my online computer to transfer from my cold storage old XP computer that already has a floppy. Would it be safer?

Some people recommend storing the keys/wallet on a DVD/CD.

DVD is plastic/polymer. It dries and cracks over time.

Your dvd is (potentially) done in 10 years.

Years ago a I read a cd/dvd should be good for hundreds of years, now I'm reading 2-5 years, maybe 10. The cds I burned in the 90's are still fine, and I have cd's from the 80's that are fine. So what's the deal?
Activity: 812
With the news on USB firmware hacks I was wondering if I should add a 3.5" floppy to my online computer to transfer from my cold storage old XP computer that already has a floppy. Would it be safer?

DVD is plastic/polymer. It dries and cracks over time.

Your dvd is (potentially) done in 10 years.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
Floppies seem to have a life of about 15 years (give or take). And flash media needs to be powered up every once in awhile to prevent you from losing data.

I personally have password protected wallets inside a TrueCrypted file, copied and stored on multiple forms of digital backup. If one backup fails, I have plenty of other methods. I highly suggest this.
I'm not storing on the floppy, I'm talking about using the floppy to store the signed message that I generate on my offline computer and transfer to my online computer.

I would be curious as well.
Activity: 117
Merit: 10

yeah but why not go all the back to a 5 1/4" floppy.  Now those actually flopped.

Not as much as 8 inchers, though.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

yeah but why not go all the back to a 5 1/4" floppy.  Now those actually flopped.
Activity: 381

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
I ended up using audio using minimodem. This [1] is in the Armory section and for Linux, but it might give you some ideas (you can transmit any kind of data). Cheap investment too for a 3.5mm jack-jack cable.

[1] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tx-signing-via-minimodem-735111
Activity: 442
Found Lost beach - quiet now
I'm not storing on the floppy, I'm talking about using the floppy to store the signed message that I generate on my offline computer and transfer to my online computer.
Activity: 442
Found Lost beach - quiet now
Pages:
Jump to: