Pages:
Author

Topic: Is renting an inevitable waste of money? - page 18. (Read 2609 times)

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
January 25, 2023, 04:36:33 PM
Actually more and more look for the cons too, plus usually the first wage, by far is not big enough for the bank's liking.
The bank looks for stable job, hence at least 6 months there... the reality is not exactly like the newspapers depict it  Wink

The fact that there are so many homeowners here is (also) caused by the fact that soon after the old regime was abolished, the people was able to buy the flats they were living in, and the prices were extremely low. Else the percentage would look awful, actually.

Yeah, I looked a bit at the statistics and the whole thing becomes less and less rosy

Let's assume the house you want to buy has mortgage of 600 dollars per month but the rent for same house is 400 so here is what you should do, just choose rent and think you have to pay mortgage every month which means you have 200 dollars extra and you have to keep investing the amount every month into something with decent returns and low risk as long as you can, so at the end of 10 years you may not own a house but the investment you made all those years along with the compounding effect you will have much more money than the worth of that house.

You see that's the problem with scenarios, when you set them so that the result points to what you want to achieve, one might ask himself, is the scenario actually true? What if the rent is 550 and the mortgage 600? What if your investment fails completely? And more importantly, what if the price of the house goes up?
In 2010 the price of an sqm in London was 4500, not it's above 7000!

So even with your scenario, you would have to turn every single of those $200 into $900 in order to keep up just with the housing price!
Do you think is doable for everyone?

To somebody who wants to change environment every now and then, though, owning a place might not be his/her cup of tea. That's probably me. Owning a house is not worth it if you're away for weeks or a month every now and then, or if your work requires you to travel and stay in different places for longer periods of time.

Simple solution, rent it while you're away!
You move to a different city, rent the house and with the rent, you pay the current one, it's pretty simple!
Activity: 1596
Merit: 264
January 25, 2023, 04:32:15 PM
~
Yeah, having a loan just because you need it and have nothing to guarantee that you will be able to pay back is going to bite one in the ass. Imagine having that piece of land that is truly yours and you will have no landlords nagging you every day about your rent.

Staying at a friend's house is quite a little bit of a different story depending on the family situations sometimes. There would be those that do not want to burden their parents further, so they would choose to be at their friend's house instead.
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 1172
January 25, 2023, 04:24:53 PM
If you're young and haven't inherited a property from your ancestors, chances are that you're forced to rent. Personally, I've been renting for over 6 years and have been living with my girlfriend for the last 4, sharing rent and utilities. Overall, we've both spent over €25,000 together, and after spending all this money, you're practically left with nothing and may be subject to looking for a new house at any moment.

The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is between €300 and €400 at best; thus, I was thinking that taking a loan is as costly as paying rent per month, but after 15-20 years, you end up with a house. My main concerns are the following: First, if you're in a long-term relationship like myself, you can never be 100% sure that you'll be with that person in 20 or 30 years from now, which might prevent you from opting for a loan. Secondly, you need to be certain that the location or city of the property to be bought is convenient for future job offers and so on. Thirdly, because a loan is a many-year commitment, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to afford the monthly payment 15 years from now.

On top of that, finding the ideal house as a renter is almost impossible; there's a lack of housing, and rents are extremely expensive and unreasonable at the same time. We had a difficult time finding a house recently, and it's far from ideal. There is now a new government-funded loan program that is about to start, funding up to 75% of the loan interest-free while the rest is funded by private banks and is subject to a relatively low interest rate. This led me to think about taking a loan and purchasing an average two-bedroom apartment, but I have the concerns that I voiced earlier.

You've given a picture of one scenario, but there are so many different variations it is impossible to give a definitive answer to such a question. You mention the level of rent, but you don't mention the salary you're on. There is a suggestion that housing costs should be around a 3rd of your income maximum, but if you're making 3,000 euros a month (a random example) then you'd be way ahead on such a low rent. You could put that money into other investments, to make your money grow, or simply save for a deposit to eventually buy your own house. Renting is not always a waste, it can give you a freedom to move around which can be especially useful when you're younger and allow flexibility in following jobs.
Activity: 2856
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!
January 25, 2023, 04:20:42 PM
If you're young and haven't inherited a property from your ancestors, chances are that you're forced to rent. Personally, I've been renting for over 6 years and have been living with my girlfriend for the last 4, sharing rent and utilities. Overall, we've both spent over €25,000 together, and after spending all this money, you're practically left with nothing and may be subject to looking for a new house at any moment.

The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is between €300 and €400 at best; thus, I was thinking that taking a loan is as costly as paying rent per month, but after 15-20 years, you end up with a house. My main concerns are the following: First, if you're in a long-term relationship like myself, you can never be 100% sure that you'll be with that person in 20 or 30 years from now, which might prevent you from opting for a loan. Secondly, you need to be certain that the location or city of the property to be bought is convenient for future job offers and so on. Thirdly, because a loan is a many-year commitment, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to afford the monthly payment 15 years from now.

On top of that, finding the ideal house as a renter is almost impossible; there's a lack of housing, and rents are extremely expensive and unreasonable at the same time. We had a difficult time finding a house recently, and it's far from ideal. There is now a new government-funded loan program that is about to start, funding up to 75% of the loan interest-free while the rest is funded by private banks and is subject to a relatively low interest rate. This led me to think about taking a loan and purchasing an average two-bedroom apartment, but I have the concerns that I voiced earlier.
The right move always depends on your specific circumstances, for many people to rent makes sense as they travel a lot, they change their jobs frequently or their job security is low, however if this does not hold true for you and you are ready for the commitment of buying a house then without a doubt renting may seem like a waste of money, since you are literally helping someone else to pay their house instead of paying for your own.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 585
January 25, 2023, 04:09:40 PM
Having a house is like another investment, but it is heck of a worth of an investment in the end. I had rented before in the short term and it is almost like throwing away money just to survive and have a roof temporarily. I would just rent if my workplace was like really far from my home, but if transportation could handle it anyway, I would prioritize that first.
Owning a house is everyone's dream and actually no one wants to rent a house even though the offer is cheap if he already has a comfortable place to live, OP should already have a house from the accumulation of rental fees for 6 years but that doesn't mean he has wasted money on necessities a place to live but because he doesn't have enough savings to buy a house for the down payment. Before he decides to apply for a loan, he must ensure that he has a stable monthly income for living expenses and sufficient expenses to cover the loan.

Me and my partner have a plan of having house first before being together. Not sure why living with parents is looked down in other countries, while in here, it is technically fine.
Everyone has different reasons why they don't choose to live with their parents, the reason might be that he already has a partner and is more comfortable choosing to live in a different location. But if the financial situation worsens, the main option is to live with your parents instead of staying at a friend's house.
Activity: 756
Merit: 179
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
January 25, 2023, 03:42:36 PM
In some instances, renting could be preferred option to manage funds. Ask the craftsmen who have to rent tools and equipment for work on site. Also, renting a house in some area either for convenience of just storage purpose could be economically rewarding if the plan in the long run is to change.
Investment that yields profits can fund buying or owning property, that one would have previously rented to save cost.
Activity: 2072
Merit: 337
January 25, 2023, 02:50:53 PM
It can be avoided of course. There are many ways if you don't want to rent on your own. You can first stay in your parents house or friends house and then save up to built your own house. It doesn't need to be huge or gorgeous at first but only enough for a person to sleep peacefully and have a shelter when the weather isn't good outside. Renting is not a waste of money as long as you don't have your own house.

Why will it be a waste when we are living on our rented house? Unless only if that house isn't good enough, I mean if there are a limited water supply and the roof are also faulty where the rain drops enter when it's raining but you can always look for another one.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 264
January 25, 2023, 02:31:45 PM
You and your partner should talk about it and what are your plans that both of you should agreed.
Having a house is like another investment, but it is heck of a worth of an investment in the end. I had rented before in the short term and it is almost like throwing away money just to survive and have a roof temporarily. I would just rent if my workplace was like really far from my home, but if transportation could handle it anyway, I would prioritize that first.

Me and my partner have a plan of having house first before being together. Not sure why living with parents is looked down in other countries, while in here, it is technically fine.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 252
January 25, 2023, 01:57:05 PM
Better to buy or rent a house. There must have been a point in our lives where this dilemma arose, buying vs. renting a house. Of course, buying a house is more profitable, because the house is a social sign. If you're still young, it's normal, buying or renting a house is indeed a big decision. Especially if in the end, you decide to repay the house. Of course, everyone has their own perspective. But it all depends on each decision that you think is good.
It would not be wrong for someone who has the ability to buy a house in his youth because building materials or materials to build a house are not always cheap to get so it is feared that in old age, someone will not have enough ability to build a house as a place for him to live. take shelter. So buy a house while you still have the ability to buy it, but if you can't afford to buy it in full, obviously renting it is the last option for someone.

I myself am still young and I made the wrong decision to buy a house at a young age, when I was still busy pursuing a career. The existence of a house becomes a 'chain tie' that makes us reluctant to move to another city that promises better career opportunities. In the end, I stayed where I was, making my career slow to develop.
Career also cannot be used as an excuse for delaying building a house or buying a finished one, because while in a career, you also need a place to rest and shelter because those are things you really need after working all day. So basically the house is one of the most important things for you to think about now.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 624
January 25, 2023, 01:44:37 PM
To explain my personal opinion, I am one of those people who think that paying house rent is a waste of money. Although it is directly related to house prices and house rents in your region, it is very important to get a house loan offer for long-term and make a direct comparison with the rent. For example, if you are thinking of living in a country other than your own for the short term, it would be reasonable to rent a house.

On the other hand, although the option of paying in installments as if you were paying rent by buying a house with mortgage seems logical, you need to have a small amount of savings for this. In other words, since it is not possible to buy a house with credit without any savings, when you consider all the factors, you will have no choice but to rent a house.

Briefly, although this situation varies according to the point of view, it is very important for the person to give a clear answer to this question by checking their own financial situation and long-term plans to take the necessary action.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 227
January 25, 2023, 01:03:37 PM
That's part of everyone's thinking to be honest. This is very very practical that it's better to own the property rather than paying the rent. Instead of paying rent you can always pay your "EMI" at good rates. If your banks / government has the schemes of acquiring house loans then take it, take the advantage of tax benefits.

Whenever you avail a tax you get credit input against your income thus reducing your Tax Slab with fairly big amount. Not only that, you can also have your permanent postal address based on which you can top up loans for in house furniture, architect and much more.

There are definitely more benefits than cons here. Those who understand this one, will always at any cost go for the loan and having their own house and even commercial spaces!
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
January 25, 2023, 12:43:21 PM
~snip
Your problem is clear and many people in the world are also trying to solve the dilemma of renting or buying a home on credit.

There are always risks. They may be more in some cases and less in others. How lucky you are will depend on the occasion.

The idea that by buying on credit you spend but buy your own home sounds better than paying rent and getting nothing. But wait, is that really true? In the case of a lease, you are not tied to one place (not only to housing, but also to work), you can move at any time and change your occupation, hell, even change your girlfriend. Smiley You see, not everything is so simple and the choice will have to be made based on personal requests.

In the case of buying on credit, it would not be superfluous to try to anticipate the future prospects of your property. For example, buying in an area that is currently cheap and unattractive, but over time will be well maintained and become much more expensive. That is, your purchase will be an investment that allows you to compensate for the high interest rates of the loan due to the increase in the price of an apartment or house.
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
Steady grinding
January 25, 2023, 12:13:47 PM
Life is in stages and phases... It's okay to rent a house while planning to build but the problem is many rent houses that are beyond thier income just to enjoy some sort of luxury or comfort.... It's rather okay to live in a simple apartment that don't cost much while building your home gradually
Activity: 504
Merit: 151
January 25, 2023, 11:58:47 AM
Well, I believe renting is not totally a bad idea as long as you can afford it.
However,  I wouldn't subscribe to the idea of taking a loan to foot your rent bills, no matter the percentage of the loan, because he who goes borrowing, goes sorrowing.

I believe you should make long term plans or start saving to get your own house, because there is this internal peace that comes with it.
Activity: 2968
Merit: 670
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
January 25, 2023, 11:32:09 AM
If you're young and haven't inherited a property from your ancestors, chances are that you're forced to rent.
There are many other reasons on-which you may entitled to occupy a premises on rental hence blaming your ancestors alone sounds inappropriate in my view. I am in a rental house even I own a house due to my job reason. In my country, people who are into certain kind of government job, get frequent relocation which lead them get into rental houses as buying a house for every 3 to 5 years is not possible per their income.

after spending all this money, you're practically left with nothing and may be subject to looking for a new house at any moment.
If you are good in planning then you should plan for buying a house for your own use or for renting out. I have seen many people in my country living life long in rental houses because of their limited income. So, living in rental house without proper budget plans might lead you never own a house.
Activity: 2772
Merit: 576
January 25, 2023, 10:59:35 AM
It is really subjective on your goal. If you're just a typical job hopper then obviously that renting is the best option and you can just keep moving on without the worry of thinking about the maintenance of the house that you're renting since you don't own it.

Whilst for loaning and buying your own home, you have expenses that are inevitable but you've got a piece of mind that you won't be evicted next month.

But in today's world of uncertainty, it's still the best to have a piece of mind and have your own home and you're free to do whatever you want and renovate while the tendency of using it in the future as a rental property.
Activity: 2506
Merit: 368
January 25, 2023, 10:46:01 AM
It's better to have your own house than renting because it's convenient and you can do everything you can with your own house plus you can save more money than to spend it on the rent. But if you can't afford to buy a house you can just rent but you need to have a stable job in order to have a roof and a room to sleep. Most people would take a loan just to own a house although it's long time commitment but if you are willing to stay in that place then you should choose than than to change places every now and then which could cost some hefty cash plus not having a place you can call your own.

You and your partner should talk about it and what are your plans that both of you should agreed.
Activity: 1876
Merit: 447
January 25, 2023, 10:15:34 AM
It's really a dilemma if you doubt your partner that you won't be together forever, even though if your commitment with your partner can be formed and find a way out together to buy a decent house, you can save money if your partner also works and helps each other to buy a house for both of you , I think you should not prioritize the ideal of a house especially by renting, maybe you can choose a normal rental house that only meets your work needs, so that there is money left over from your monthly income to save or invest as funds to buy a house in future.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1696
January 25, 2023, 09:53:02 AM

Yes, this is a very big and well-known dilemma.  It is very difficult to make a choice in such a situation.  I knew one girl - she solved this problem in the following way ...

She took out a mortgage on an inexpensive apartment - a studio on the outskirts of the city.  She also rented very inexpensive housing in the city center (a separate room without a bath or toilet). 

At the same time, she worked as a programmer in a foreign company and received high wages.  She paid off her mortgage ahead of schedule and now she has her own (small area) housing.
Activity: 1960
Merit: 586
Free Crypto Faucet in Trustdice
January 25, 2023, 09:51:08 AM
What you are experiencing is exactly the same as my condition so far. In fact I often think about taking a house with a deposit of 15 to 20 years. Given the decision is still gray, of course not an easy thing. There will be many considerations, i.e. unstable financial income makes me doubt whether I can really pay off my savings. but if not, maybe I'm just spending money renting from one house to another without owning one.

In my hometown, I have a piece of land, but it is not an ideal place to live because the road access does not support transportation. Selling it is also not a solution because that's the only legacy left. So like it or not I still live in a rented house while considering many things in the future that I should take a house in that complex.
Pages:
Jump to: