Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Ripple a Bitcoin Killer or Complementer? Founder of Mt Gox will launch Ripple - page 5. (Read 34058 times)

Activity: 338
Merit: 253
I haven't checked out Ripple, but one thing I know is that mining was a bad idea. Also, capping currency growth was another bad idea. Whatever the Bitcoin replacement is will have a built in mechanism for increasing the currency volume in proportion to usage. Bitcoin will be like the Mosaic browser and the bitcoin killer will be Netscape.
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
Unlike Bitcoin, which had Satoshi's wonderful and inspiring paper to read - the available literature for Ripple is almost worthless.

I accessed the beta wiki and read every word of what was published, and there is practically no concrete information. Certainly not enough information to make a piece of software that can interoperate with the existing beta nodes.

Almost everywhere in the sparse Ripple technical docs, important details are glossed over with no description given to algorithms or procedures.

This is garbage.
I'm not saying that documentation isn't important, but this seems just a bit excessive.

Ripple does seem to have lots of good ideas embedded in it, therefore it's not garbage, but the problem is that Ripple's documentation ( at least so far ) doesn't seem to be converging into anything that any programmer wanting to implement an interoperable implementation would call a spec. Such a convergence might eventually be achieved, however in the meantime, the lack of ( even informal ) spec creates suspicion that the system may ultimately be unsound.

Cheers

P.S. I am personally routing for Ripple to become the "credit coin" to Bitcoin's "permanent coin"
staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
Password isn't asked anymore, but it is still in beta.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Unlike Bitcoin, which had Satoshi's wonderful and inspiring paper to read - the available literature for Ripple is almost worthless.

I accessed the beta wiki and read every word of what was published, and there is practically no concrete information. Certainly not enough information to make a piece of software that can interoperate with the existing beta nodes.

Almost everywhere in the sparse Ripple technical docs, important details are glossed over with no description given to algorithms or procedures.

This is garbage.
I'm not saying that documentation isn't important, but this seems just a bit excessive.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
Cavemen were afraid of fire too ya know Wink.

This is garbage.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

It's how people react in the face of life-changing innovations.

I wish it was. I think there are a few ENORMOUS barriers to it becoming mainstream, and doubt it will  ever become a "life-changing innovation." Please prove people like me wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
1) Is this steaming turd still in beta?

2) Where the hell are the technical specifications and protocol descriptions?

It's how people react in the face of life-changing innovations.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

This is the worst food I've ever eaten and the portion sizes are way too small.

Or, if you prefer: This soup is awful. Can I have the recipe?
legendary
Activity: 1064

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
daytrader/superhero
Activity: 812
-
I think many people when talking about extending trust completely miss one important point, specifically concept of money velocity and circulation. One does not really need to have a lot of trust obtained or extended to effectively transact in a ripple network. One would need, basically just one month or one week turnover worth of "well connected" trust, that can be easily bought using collateral such as bitcoins or gold, for example. Whether it is a week or a month or a year worth of trust depends mostly on ones income/expense cycle.

You do not need to drown the wheels of commerce in oil to make it work, just a few drops of the oil in the right place will do the trick.

Activity: 34
Merit: 0
Ripple is an idea that is both way too ahead of its time and obsolete simultaneously. It depends on trusting people to be honest about competing for limited resources. Ripple is like the old charge plates from the 1940s. It will work better when people are not competing for scarce capital.

well im not sure what this ripple reloaded will be like, but the original was about creating money where / when it's needed and by the two parties who need it. In this sense it is not the old competition over scarce capital as fiat and bitcoin are. 
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Ripple is an idea that is both way too ahead of its time and obsolete simultaneously. It depends on trusting people to be honest about competing for limited resources. Ripple is like the old charge plates from the 1940s. It will work better when people are not competing for scarce capital.
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
On another note, what do you think of our logo?

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I couldn't walk without passing comment on this logo.

I apologize for my frankness, but it is truly disgusting. It is very, very poorly designed.

Here is why: The most jarring thing about it is the foul gradient. It's offensively cheesy. Gradients are not your friend.

The typography is nothing short of an abomination. The font was extremely poorly chosen. Just a ghastly font altogether, really. The kerning (the space in between the letters) is very uneven. It does not look good.

The little pictogram at the side is flawed. I'm not 100% against the idea or even the 3d perspective thing, but it is very poorly executed. The perspective effect is wrong. Look closely at it. It is broken.

Again we have ghastly gradients. Even worse this time than the text, and that is saying something. Also in my opinion you should stick with two colors. Using more than two colors in a logo is a tricky pro's move that the designer of this monstrosity has no business trying to attempt.

All the proportions are wrong. It is just totally out of proportion, in every sense. Everything it can get wrong, it does.

I feel like the whole thing was designed by someone with absolutely no design skill, talent or expertise. The person who created this wasn't a designer - he/she was a software operator. And not a very good one.

I'm guessing it cost maybe $10 max. If it cost more you got ripped off.

Thanks. I knew there was something wrong with this design but I could not tell what.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
But, how do you really feel Charlie?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
On another note, what do you think of our logo?

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I couldn't walk without passing comment on this logo.

I apologize for my frankness, but it is truly disgusting. It is very, very poorly designed.

Here is why: The most jarring thing about it is the foul gradient. It's offensively cheesy. Gradients are not your friend.

The typography is nothing short of an abomination. The font was extremely poorly chosen. Just a ghastly font altogether, really. The kerning (the space in between the letters) is very uneven. It does not look good.

The little pictogram at the side is flawed. I'm not 100% against the idea or even the 3d perspective thing, but it is very poorly executed. The perspective effect is wrong. Look closely at it. It is broken.

Again we have ghastly gradients. Even worse this time than the text, and that is saying something. Also in my opinion you should stick with two colors. Using more than two colors in a logo is a tricky pro's move that the designer of this monstrosity has no business trying to attempt.

All the proportions are wrong. It is just totally out of proportion, in every sense. Everything it can get wrong, it does.

I feel like the whole thing was designed by someone with absolutely no design skill, talent or expertise. The person who created this wasn't a designer - he/she was a software operator. And not a very good one.

I'm guessing it cost maybe $10 max. If it cost more you got ripped off.

staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
Oh the same Jed who let his computer get compromised and gave up his illegal highly immoral back door access to MTGOX, which in turn resulted in the first big mtgox hack?

What can go wrong!?
On March 6th, 2011
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/MtGox#History
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Oh the same Jed who let his computer get compromised and gave up his illegal back door access to MTGOX, which in turn resulted in the first big mtgox hack?

What can go wrong!?

QFT

Watch your back, the natives going to be restless.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
Oh the same Jed who let his computer get compromised and gave up his illegal highly immoral back door access to MTGOX, which in turn resulted in the first big mtgox hack?

What can go wrong!?
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
Anyone else get into the latest beta?
Pages:
Jump to: