Pages:
Author

Topic: Is "Scam accusation" board utilizing effectively? - page 2. (Read 320 times)

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
I would vote to get rid of the "I was messaged on telegram by so and so scammer" or "YouTube giveaway scam", posts as they are generic, they could however be useful in warning newbies of the tactics used by Internet scammers. Most people on here would be pretty used to such scam techniques, but it doesn't hurt to put it out there every once in a while. So, maybe I wouldn't vote for that either.

There's no info on the scam accusation board so no one can determine what fits there or what doesn't, it just needs to be related to a scam and should ideally follow the reporting format which is stickied on that board.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
You are wrong. Even guest users who have never registered in the forum can see the warnings if they tried to use the search engines.
Hopefully that's true, though I've seen plenty of scam accusations opened by brand new members who obviously did not see any warning signs originating from bitcointalk before they got scammed by [pick your choice of project/exchange/business] that had numerous threads dedicated to them being scammers. 

I even checked what the search results pulled up for "1xbit" and IIRC all of the top results were links to the site itself or positive reviews and so forth.  There weren't any red flags that showed up in at least the first two pages of search results.

Part of me agrees with OP that the Scam Accusation section really ought to focus on scams involving the forum, whether it's between members or concerning a project with a presence on bitcointalk that's scammed people (like bounty hunters, for instance).  But the other part of me does agree with JeromeTash that accusations against crypto-related scammers do serve a useful function not only to our community but the crypto community as a whole (though I have my doubts as to the effectiveness concerning the latter).
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1208
Heisenberg
Most of the times, all I can see "Scam accusation" is full of X airdrop scam, X coin fake airdrop scam, X coin phishing scam.
What is wrong with warning people about a certain airdrop or phishing scam?

I don't know; maybe I'm the only one to getting board on this. I don't see any scam accusation which needs the attention of bitcointalk community. In my opinion, most are same repetitive all the time & helps no single bitcointalk user.
You think it's only Bitcointalk users who benefit from the warnings?
You are wrong. Even guest users who have never registered in the forum can see the warnings if they tried to use the search engines.

If I'm correct on the above statement, can someone point out where's the need of creating such threads? If I'm nlt correct, please point out who are getting benefitted from that threads?
Any person who tries to carry out due diligence benefits. It doesn't have to benefit only you.

I realized that such kinda threads really help no one.
That's what you think.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1228
If the thread are started by the same user for different finds then he should be advised to update them all in just one thread for example [update list of airdrop scam] because I think one thread already represents all of them without having to create a different thread each time he catches it. Basically the airdrop will only benefit cheaters and shitcoin owners without too much impact on the community. There's no benefit to the topic opener although sometimes he also has the opportunity to earn merit.
copper member
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305
Limited in number. Limitless in potential.
I don't see any scam accusation which needs the attention of bitcointalk community. In my opinion, most are same repetitive all the time & helps no single bitcointalk user.
That means there are no scams regarding/towards forum users that needs attention of DTs or the community which is actually good.

If you want more drama towards forum users, check reputation boards Wink

I have been noticing this for a quite long time and I realized that such kinda threads really help no one.
Most threads on scam accusation boards is tend to help newbies to avoid getting scammed in the future, and have knowledge on different kind of scammed sites/user's experience/schemes etc. Threads might be repetitive but it helps a lot, maybe not for bitcointalk users but anyone who search in google as those threads will show up on google pages, so don't assume that it helps no one.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 850
Most of the times, all I can see "Scam accusation" is full of X airdrop scam, X coin fake airdrop scam, X coin phishing scam. I don't know; maybe I'm the only one to getting board on this. I don't see any scam accusation which needs the attention of bitcointalk community. In my opinion, most are same repetitive all the time & helps no single bitcointalk user.
If I'm correct on the above statement, can someone point out where's the need of creating such threads? If I'm nlt correct, please point out who are getting benefitted from that threads?
This is not a personal attack. I have been noticing this for a quite long time and I realized that such kinda threads really help no one.
Pages:
Jump to: