Pages:
Author

Topic: Is school socialization of personality or the breakdown of the psyche? - page 2. (Read 387 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 175
@cryptocommies
Common core is specifically designed to break the critical thinking skills of children and teach them to use collectivist thought.

Any specific examples?  All I know about is common core science and I can tell you that it is the only thing that has brought critical thinking into public science education.   "Next generation science standards" are 100% designed around science practices which are all about critical thinking.

I imagine the same sort of thinking can be applied to common core standards in other disciplines.  All I can think of are the math examples that force students to do mental math instead of memorizing multiples and factors. 
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
Individual training is ideal for gaining knowledge, but ..
First, it is quite expensive and not everyone can afford it.

Years ago, this was true. Since the internet, alot more resources are available that would allow those who can teach themselves to do so. 1-to-1 tuition is still expensive, of course, but self directed learning is not.

The child must understand what life is, that it can be cruel, that there are difficulties. The child must learn to take the fight. He should be able to get out of the conflict, to defend himself, etc.
I think that in order not to break the psyche, parents should support the child and explain important things about relationships between people.
Nowadays, you need to be stress-resistant, you need to be competitive and able to fight. It is necessary to overcome difficulties in communicating with others.
Therefore, it seems to me that individual training no longer meets the requirements of modernity.

I disagree.

In schools, children are forced to let teachers resolve all but the smallest conflicts. That doesn't help kids learn how to solve their own conflicts, as they don't become familiar with the full costs of over-escalating arguments. As a result, too many kids grow into immature adults that are too willing to start anti-social conflicts with others, in the expectation that their future experiences will be the same as those in the past (i.e. teacher will come and deal with it). So, the school system does not socialize such characters, it does the opposite.
Activity: 179
Merit: 0
The issue is not black-and-white stuff, I think. Schools have both positive and negative sides: even the concept of socialization is two-fold. It gives smaller scale insight about how adult society works, and at the same time a child may not be accepted by his school community for some reason. I`d say this very concept has more positive effect: it teaches one to resist stress and not to rely on the group`s opinion, which is also a quite valuable skill for future life.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
Common core is specifically designed to break the critical thinking skills of children and teach them to use collectivist thought.
Activity: 126
Merit: 5
I don`t quite agree with you.
Individual training is ideal for gaining knowledge, but ..
First, it is quite expensive and not everyone can afford it.
Secondly, the child really needs socialization, it's impossible to grow it like a flower in a greenhouse, which is protected from all external adversity.
The child must understand what life is, that it can be cruel, that there are difficulties. The child must learn to take the fight. He should be able to get out of the conflict, to defend himself, etc.
I think that in order not to break the psyche, parents should support the child and explain important things about relationships between people.
Nowadays, you need to be stress-resistant, you need to be competitive and able to fight. It is necessary to overcome difficulties in communicating with others.
Therefore, it seems to me that individual training no longer meets the requirements of modernity.
Activity: 126
Merit: 5
Don`t you think that collective learning is greatly overvalued?
It is believed that in this way children will be better socialized, will learn to live in society and be more communicative.
But do not forget that the school is often the strongest stress for the child. He can become an outcast, he can be offended by other children or even teachers. Needless to say, about what is going on in private boarding schools.
Also, group training has low efficiency, because it is not aimed individually at each child.
It seems to me that individual child education is much better? As it was in the old days: teachers came to the child's home and taught him. But the children knew several languages, and they were perfectly versed in geography and history. They did not have to go through stress and humiliation.
Don't you think it's worth returning these traditions?
Pages:
Jump to: