Pages:
Author

Topic: Is segwit really necessary? - page 2. (Read 1371 times)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100
Tortle Ninja
July 21, 2017, 04:41:02 AM
Although many say segwit is not a priority, but many say also that segwit is also needed to make the bitcoin better again. So do not doubt the usual, which will make you more brilliant in the features of bitcoins

In my opinion segwit is clearly necessary, some of the promises of bitcoin beyond pseudonimous id is no transaction fees and fast times, they are lost as for now, if BTC doesnt recover that its essence will be lost and will give opportunity to other cryptos to grow faster.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
physics, mathematics and engineering
July 21, 2017, 04:16:21 AM
Yes we do just look at fees and tx time.

@Meuh6879 thx for this awesome picture I sent it to a few friends of mine already, best summary I have ever seen of segwit !
Activity: 168
July 21, 2017, 03:59:18 AM
Although many say segwit is not a priority, but many say also that segwit is also needed to make the bitcoin better again. So do not doubt the usual, which will make you more brilliant in the features of bitcoins
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
July 21, 2017, 03:44:35 AM
They say segwit will let bitcoin transactions be faster, but I still couldn't understand it well. If segwit will solve the scalability problem, why were we fightin each other?

If no, why segwit will be implemented?

segwit is a way to implement LN and miners don't like that, as a far i understand last time i checked why they don't want segwit, but not all miners are against it

segwit don't solve the scalability issue by itself you need the LN, but it add more room to the block limit, and buy us some time

also currently there is no on-chain way to do what LN can do off chain, this seems impossible to achieve..
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
July 21, 2017, 02:55:30 AM
Many people say that segwit is not a priority, but some people say that segwit is indispensable for better bitcoin development. So here are some opinions, I as a bitcoin user certainly can not do anything. Some people who play a role against segwit already stated that this will be done on August 1st.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1006
July 21, 2017, 02:40:51 AM
Segwit is first step for activation of lightening network in future. LN is what we need to make instant bitcoin (off-chain transactions) so that we can pay for coffee or soda instantly and we might not have to wait for more than few seconds to get that transaction confirmed. Segwit is just a soft fork so there is nothing actually to panic about.
Activity: 1218
Merit: 683
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
July 21, 2017, 02:28:26 AM
I have to admit I don't know much about the programming that runs the block chain. However I do know about the concept of overload. The main challenge to bitcoin at this time is that it it's too slow for point to point sales it's fine for online transactions, but you can't take five minutes to clear a coke a cola or a coffe. Why hasn't a bitcoin Devi managed to alllow smaller players to strictly seek transaction fees without going after the main coins. Either that or even a carbon copy of bitcoin that is fungeble on a processing level. Btc2.0 priced lower but transactions rewards default to 2.0 chain after 60 seconds or something like that. Is this even possible?

Well segwit is definitely required since it should fix a couple of things like lower transaction fees and faster confirmation times. It should pretty much 'update' the blockchain and also solve the scaling problem which is a big problem nowadays.
 I think the info graphic by Meuh6879 explains it better that me and it covers pretty much everything.
The one thing you need to keep in mind is that segwit will not make bitcoin centralized or cause other problems and it won't kill bitcoin.
Activity: 2968
Merit: 913
July 21, 2017, 02:07:16 AM
Wow,thanks Meuh6879.This is a pretty informative infographic.
I think that  a lot people hate Segiwt because:
1.They think that Segwit will centralize bitcoin.
2.They think that Segwit will create double spending issues.
I`m not sure that those two statements are correct.
Anyway,most of the bitcoin users hate Segwit because they don`t know anything about it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
July 20, 2017, 06:16:50 PM

Activity: 249
July 20, 2017, 06:13:08 PM
They say segwit will let bitcoin transactions be faster, but I still couldn't understand it well. If segwit will solve the scalability problem, why were we fightin each other?

If no, why segwit will be implemented?
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
July 20, 2017, 05:57:18 PM
I have to admit I don't know much about the programming that runs the block chain. However I do know about the concept of overload. The main challenge to bitcoin at this time is that it it's too slow for point to point sales it's fine for online transactions, but you can't take five minutes to clear a coke a cola or a coffe. Why hasn't a bitcoin Devi managed to alllow smaller players to strictly seek transaction fees without going after the main coins. Either that or even a carbon copy of bitcoin that is fungeble on a processing level. Btc2.0 priced lower but transactions rewards default to 2.0 chain after 60 seconds or something like that. Is this even possible?
Pages:
Jump to: