Pages:
Author

Topic: is that guy still rummaging the dump? - page 2. (Read 238 times)

Activity: 467
Merit: 61
December 15, 2022, 09:17:51 PM
the answer is I don't know. but I hope that the man can quickly find him, and may God give him patience and fortitude. but it will definitely be very difficult to find a hard drive in the trash because the hard drive is a small thing, not a big thing.
With an incident like that, hopefully it will be an example for all of us, namely to always be careful when placing objects that contain valuable assets.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1860
🙏🏼Padayon...🙏
December 15, 2022, 09:16:47 PM
James Howells threw his hard drive containing 8,000 Bitcoin in 2013. Today, that's around $140 million. But that hard drive has been buried in at least 110,000 tons of garbage. And that's almost a decade ago. At this point, I doubt he will still be successful in trying to retrieve it. I'm not even sure if there are still efforts to locate it until now. But in case the search-- if it's still going on-- will be successful, I'm sure it will hit the headlines just as the search hit the news.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 536
December 15, 2022, 08:44:35 PM
Do you guys remember that guy who well before btc had its first highs threw away a hard-disk with btc which became worth millions and he went to rummage the landfill looking for it and also offered a slice of btc to the city council if it helped him find it?

Is he still looking for it?  Roll Eyes    Cheesy   Cheesy

Yes, it's around $70 million offer to city council to help him find that one hard drive that contains million worth of bitcoins but I don't think that they are interested on the offer itself.

I think the earliest offer is that he will donated that huge chunk of money to covid relief fun but no one has step up.

And it goes to say that it's obviously he lost all of it already.

https://greenlemon.me/man-offers-70-m-to-find-a-hard-drive-loaded-with-7500-bitcoin-that-he-threw-away-accidentally/
legendary
Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
December 15, 2022, 08:21:12 PM
He probably could have made most of it back working a part time job and buying crypto all these years instead of digging in the dump.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
December 15, 2022, 07:30:55 PM
It's probably becoming more and more viable as btc price rises for the council to actually try to get it - if it's possible and if they can reduce the chances of toxic gasses being released into the environment and waste contaminating the waters and then actually find the drive which will probably all remain extremely unlikely.

There's so mamy reasons the data on the hard drive may be destroyed though (especially if electrical or magnetic contamination are likely).
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
December 15, 2022, 07:21:04 PM
The cynic in me thinks the HDD could easily have been compacted, shredded and destroyed by now. Whether by normal landfill processes, or exposure to the elements.

But then I remember reading news stories about data being recovered from HDDs inside the World Trade Centers during 9/11 attacks and HDDs inside the space shuttle columbia which unfortunately exploded (R.I.P.).

If data can be recovered from an HDD located inside a building with 110 floors that was utterly destroyed. Maybe he has a chance of finding his long lost HDD inside of a landfill, after all? HDDs could be tougher and easier to recover data from than we realize.

But if we're being serious, anyone with the resources or capital to scour landfills in search of HDDs with lost crypto don't need him as a middle man. They could already be conducting operations of their own inside landfills, as we speak, without him.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
December 15, 2022, 07:12:08 PM
Do you guys remember that guy who well before btc had its first highs threw away a hard-disk with btc which became worth millions and he went to rummage the landfill looking for it and also offered a slice of btc to the city council if it helped him find it?

Is he still looking for it?  Roll Eyes    Cheesy   Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: