Pages:
Author

Topic: Is the Bitcoin client ever going to be usable? - page 2. (Read 2443 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
Well I have no problems building an exe for you or working on other stuff to make the client more 'usable' for you.

However I have my own list of priorities at the moment; if you want things to go your way instead of mine, you'll need to pay for my time. PM for info.
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
Here's the problem I have with every single alternative client:
NO DOWNLOAD LINK

Until that little seemingly-insignificant problem gets fixed, I'm not sure exactly what we are supposed to do here other than cheerlead that an alternative is being worked on. I want a link to a Windows client I can download and use immediately. I want it to take significantly less RAM, and I'd prefer that it encrypt the wallet.dat.

No offense, it's just ridiculous that we're now over two years into Bitcoin's implementation and we still don't have anything that even remotely resembles something usable. I'm astonished there are actually clients that require the entire block-chain to be created when there don't need to be. Oh, and btw, it took 2 days for the entire block-chain to download on a 50 meg connection. WTF?

EDIT: (3/11/2013) Again, I was rude, but this was a legitimate problem at the time.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
Right now I have been waiting over 2 minutes for my Bitcoin client to start up. I will finish this forum post before it loads, in fact. The client takes over 50 meg of RAM. It doesn't include an encrypted wallet. You want to know why the price of Bitcoin has gone stale? It's because the one and only client has become unusable. This would be unacceptable and a fork would occur with any other piece of software, yet for some reason the "trust" issue has prevented any new client from gaining ground. Can someone please deliver? I'm pretty sure there are several of us that would donate 1-5 BTC for an actual usable client.

EDIT: (3/11/2013) In hindsight, I was very rude here. I apologized later on in the year when a number of usability improvements came about.
Pages:
Jump to: