Pages:
Author

Topic: Is the Bitcoin Community Under Attack? - page 2. (Read 3971 times)

Activity: 91
Merit: 10
January 18, 2012, 12:33:06 AM
Is bittenbob being irresponsible for spreading hacking tips on these forums and claiming to own the threads he starts?

See...it's just a question...and I didnt say you were a five year old.

Wink
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
January 18, 2012, 12:31:15 AM
I didn't say that a 5 year old could DDOS so there was no need to answer his question. You made a very inappropriate and irrelevant comment. Do not post in my thread if you are going to be an idiot.

A DDOS can be done from a downloadable program. If you want someone to teach you to hack I won't be the one telling you directly. I probably already said too much by saying backtrack.
I am lol'ing so hard right now. Thanks for the laugh.

p.s. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
January 18, 2012, 12:27:57 AM
I didn't say that a 5 year old could DDOS so there was no need to answer his question. You made a very inappropriate and irrelevant comment. Do not post in my thread if you are going to be an idiot.

A DDOS can be done from a downloadable program. If you want someone to teach you to hack I won't be the one telling you directly. I probably already said too much by saying backtrack.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
January 18, 2012, 12:21:51 AM
Please explain how a 5 year old does a MITM on an https host.  I would love to hire that 5 year old for some network security work.

Blerg, blerg, blerg,  self fellatio, avoid answering questions, blerg, blerg.
January 18, 2012, 12:14:20 AM
Please explain how a 5 year old does a MITM on an https host.  I would love to hire that 5 year old for some network security work.

I said a 5 year old could DDOS. There is a reason they call them script kiddies and thats because its so simple. A MITM is a little more difficult and i probably could have done it at 14. At that time I was hacking/hijacking corporate networks. I don't use my computer skills for such purposes anymore but its not as difficult as people make it out to be.
Activity: 406
January 18, 2012, 12:08:47 AM

You have to use Google to find Backtrack and learn how to use it...hurry, you have 52 minutes before Wikipedia and Google resources are null.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
January 18, 2012, 12:04:59 AM
January 17, 2012, 11:18:42 PM
So I just read the pool thread and ABCPool is being DDOS'd. Do you retract your comment about me spreading FUD yet  because this seems to fit within my theory.

Just coincidentally corroborated. Still FUD. Oh and DDOS < MITM. way.

I am aware that a 5 year old could pull off a DDOS and it is much simpler than a MITM. MITM is still not all that difficult and can be done with anyone using backtrack and googling how to do it.

If you notice the thread has a question mark and is a question, not a statement. I was asking and it was just weird that what I use to both mine and sell/buy bitcoin went down around the same time.

It's funny when people say all I do is spread FUD because the majority of my posts are about being bullish which would be counter productive.
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
January 17, 2012, 11:08:59 PM
So I just read the pool thread and ABCPool is being DDOS'd. Do you retract your comment about me spreading FUD yet  because this seems to fit within my theory.

Just coincidentally corroborated. Still FUD. Oh and DDOS < MITM. way.
rjk
1ngldh
January 17, 2012, 10:58:17 PM
You didn't know that before? When you mentioned "gone down" I assumed you knew it was being DDOSed. Unfortunately, DDOS seems to be a fact of life for pool operators these days. In case you weren't around a few months ago, the same thing was happening - except to Slush, Deepbit, BTC Guild, and others - all at the same time. It was so bad that Slush was forced to move to a different hosting provider - the existing one kicked him out because it was taking their network down.

It comes with the territory.

I do not retract my comment, because it still appears to be valid - starting threads with fiery titles and noisy proclamations of doom and gloom with no real reason or research - stinks of weasel to me.
January 17, 2012, 10:36:27 PM
Activity: 406
January 17, 2012, 10:21:55 PM
Well, it could just be a flaw in the trading engine.

Source code should've been reviewed by 3rd part skilled devs.

Last time I remember MtGox employing a 3rd party...

They got read-only access to the user database and it got leaked out to the internet.  3rd parties are awesome !
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
January 17, 2012, 10:17:15 PM
Well, it could just be a flaw in the trading engine.

Source code should've been reviewed by 3rd part skilled devs.
January 17, 2012, 10:08:45 PM
OP exists and is here to spread FUD. That is all I have ever seen, and all I shall ever expect to see.
He is not the only one.

Anyone who has a viewpoint different than you is spreading FUD. Very weak.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
January 17, 2012, 10:06:57 PM
Just curious theymos, what is your take on what was going on with all the charts when it was cycling in a loop between 6 and 7? After about 25 minutes those cycles were erased and the market sat at 6 until orders that were placed during the swings on the charts were executed.  Anything is possible and I have never seen anything like what happened today.

I wasn't watching it, but it just sounds like bots were behaving strangely and maybe some MtGox slowness made it worse. Everything seems to be more or less back to normal now, so I'm not concerned.
rjk
1ngldh
January 17, 2012, 10:03:01 PM
OP exists and is here to spread FUD. That is all I have ever seen, and all I shall ever expect to see.
He is not the only one.
January 17, 2012, 09:58:35 PM
MtGox's HTTPS will prevent any MITM attack unless the attacker compromises a CA or something.

Just curious theymos, what is your take on what was going on with all the charts when it was cycling in a loop between 6 and 7? After about 25 minutes those cycles were erased and the market sat at 6 until orders that were placed during the swings on the charts were executed.  Anything is possible and I have never seen anything like what happened today.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
January 17, 2012, 09:56:02 PM
MtGox's HTTPS will prevent any MITM attack unless the attacker compromises a CA or something.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
January 17, 2012, 09:50:40 PM
It must be hell to be alive today with no clue about how anything at all really works.
January 17, 2012, 09:49:02 PM
The orders showed as being executed then were later removed from charting sites. If you look at charts people posted during the swings it was different. How many other pools are down right now?

So you think...someone got into MtGox and is pushing fake data out it's API and other sources to multiple exchanges and charting websites to cause massive swings in the markets ?

Pool ops deal with botnets all the time, they aren't being attacked.  Why does one 400 GH pool being down have on an 9.1 TH network immediately signal some type of coordinated attack LOL ?

And your guess the attacker being "either someone who lost a lot of money or the government"...no comment.

If you know what MITM stands for they didnt have to get into bitcoinica just in between them and their ISP. Then the packets could be dropped and replaced or spoofed. Someone could have spoofed the address and syntax from the API sending false information to the charting sites.

As for the pool I just thought it was interesting timing. That 500Ghash (what it has been lately) is a pretty good chunk of the global hash rate. I was wondering if other pools were not responding but it certainly would be one way to try and cause damage within the bitcoin community.

I see deepbit is still up so I guess I will be using them until ABC comes back online.

Just between Bitcoinica and their ISP...this would allow for switching/rejecting of packets to/from Bitcoinica only...has no effect over MtGox's API that servers the rest of the charting sites.  Unless you're saying they also got in between Bitcoinica <-> MtGox and MtGox <-> Charting websites ?!  Highly unlikely to me.  Just trying to piece together your theory here...

500 Ghash of 9.1 Thash is only 5.5%, and that's rounded up.  Maybe our definitions of "pretty good chunk" aren't the same on this.

I'm still quite intrigued on how you think MITM plays out in all of this, because I just don't see it.

I mistyped. I meant between Gox and ISP. This would explain what was going on with the charts.
Pages:
Jump to: