Pages:
Author

Topic: Is the Ivory Tower proof we shouldn't restrict other sections like the I.T.? - page 2. (Read 595 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1491
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
What really makes me wonder, is who the hell clicks on signatures? Pretty much nobody I'd think, but apparently that can't be so.

A small percentage of the thousands of people that read every post click on the signatures. When you multiply that by all people wearing that signature and all the posts, it makes a significant amount.

Apart from that, even if people don’t click on the signatures, they are exposed to advertisements and some of them will be more likely to use that service in the future.
Activity: 383
Merit: 161
https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627
I'm a big fan of the Ivory tower. Probably my favorite place to go in the Bitcoin forum. I feel like there is actual conversation going on rather than

"Bitcoin has given people hope because future will be good. I now afford good things for me and changed my life. I hope it goes higher still. Maybe even 10 million."

That stuff gets old real quick.

I still think signature campaigns are pretty sweet I just don't want them to flood into the Ivory tower. It isn't a common feature in many forums to have this kind of market place atmosphere that we have at Bitcointalk. I like Ivory tower just the way it is. The other forums may have some additional changes to make them better. I'm not sure what those could be.

What really makes me wonder, is who the hell clicks on signatures? Pretty much nobody I'd think, but apparently that can't be so. Campaign managers that allow a certain quota of posts really should watch where in the thread they are making those posts. Somebody making a post on a thread 13 pages long probably will never get read. It is surprising any of these campaigns actually generate any money.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1491
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
For me that’s no surprise. I’ve always said that if sig campaigns were banned, the traffic would decrease a lot, you don’t have to be a genius to see that.

Signature campaigns problem would be solved if bad managers were punished, although I don’t understand why Theymos has taken other measures and not that one. If that happened, you could still have sig campaigns, traffic and quality.

Merit system has helped a bit to improve quality but there is still a long way ahead.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150
Freedom&Honor
Ivory Tower was supposed to be a section without spam and a section where serious discussion and intellectual debates would take place.

It sort of achieved that.

Why sort of?
Well, there is no spam, just quality posts.

However, how many of them?

Once we've removed the incentive from the posters, we witness a mass decrease in posts overall.

There are spammers in other sections, but we must not forget genuienly good posts are incentivized too which makes them quite active unlike Ivory tower which gets a reply once a week or so.

Compared to the other sections which boom with activity.
Besides, since merit was introduced, there really isn't much incentive to spam pointless posts, since you need quality posts in order to rank up.
There is some incentive for people who have already reached certain ranks to spam, as to fulfil their sig. quotas.

My personal opinion is, although there is obviously some negative effects from sig.campaigns they are most certainly good for the forum overall.
They incentivize people to be active.
They help create active threads, sections, SEO rankings etc. etc.

Why do you disagree? Or do you agree  Shocked
Pages:
Jump to: