Pages:
Author

Topic: Is there any interest in a hardware board which will allow remote power cycling - page 2. (Read 19526 times)

vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
Dual relays are pretty much useless for anyone with a farm.  I have 8 going on 12 rigs.  giga has 32 rigs.

I have 18 rigs (*starts dreaming about 32 rigs for a second). 3 per 208v 20amp circuit. 6 take care of the GPU rigs and the computer running the singles. The other 2 are for, well, more BFL equipment.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Dual relays are pretty much useless for anyone with a farm.  I have 8 going on 12 rigs.  giga has 32 rigs.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
To put this another way, I see two routes to getting remote power cycling.

Option #1 -> http://pdusdirect.com/power-distribution-units/switched/pdu-cw-8h2-c20m
Options #2 -> D&T having mercy on me with a reasonable price that he can still make good money on

With option #1, I would need at least 8.

But you can purchase that ethernet relay board, and it's completely open, so what's the prob on using them? :O

I think he wants serial, not ethernet, and these suit perfectly: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R220HP

24 bucks for a dual 20 amp SPDT relay board, homebrew serial. If you want 9-pin d-sub connectors, use http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R220HPRS for 10 bucks more.

If your rigs only have 1 power supply, use the single relay board for $19 each: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R120HP or the same thing with 9-pin d-sub for $29: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/R120HPRS

If you want to mortgage the farm, they offer a 32-relay board with 20 amp SPDT relays for $933: http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/ZUXPR3220PROXR_ZRS
donator
Gerald Davis
But you can purchase that ethernet relay board, and it's completely open, so what's the prob on using them? :O

Nothing.  One could also write their own miner or build their own pool too.  I would imagine not everyone would want to research boards, find one that is compatible, cut custom wiring harness, and code up an API.  Still there is nothing that is stopping them.

Having a common API is the reason I am interested in making a standardized board and API.  I already have a board and it gives me manual remote power control.  

However to expand beyond that I need there to be enough similar boards so that third parties look to support them via API.

Like:
* Having a cgminer monitoring program (like anubis) which reboots any rig in a farm as needed when a GPU crashes.
* Building a hearbeat into BAMT (and as a package for other linux distros) that the relay board listens for and reboots a server when its haearbeat stops.
* paying a third party to provide SMS support for the relay board so that you can get messages when a rig is rebooted.

There are advantages of having large number of people using the same hardware and software.
Activity: 402

Option #1 -> http://pdusdirect.com/power-distribution-units/switched/pdu-cw-8h2-c20m
Options #2 -> D&T having mercy on me with a reasonable price that he can still make good money on

vip
How's this project going?

My prototype is working.  I will share some pics tonight.  I have been busy working on watercooling stuff.  The code used to drive the prototype is ugly.  I am still debating if I will commercialize it.  On one hand it likely will be a lot of work with low margins.  On the other hand if enough units are sold that will likely create the demand for third party applications to provide
support which helps me.

I'll post the photos and see what kind of feedback I get.

What is this going to cost to make it worth your while?

legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
This sounds interesting but as always the devil is in the details...... Grin
vip

My prototype is working.  I will share some pics tonight.  I have been busy working on watercooling stuff.  The code used to drive the prototype is ugly.  I am still debating if I will commercialize it.  On one hand it likely will be a lot of work with low margins.  On the other hand if enough units are sold that will likely create the demand for third party applications to provide
support which helps me.

What is this going to cost to make it worth your while?
donator
Gerald Davis

My prototype is working.  I will share some pics tonight.  I have been busy working on watercooling stuff.  The code used to drive the prototype is ugly.  I am still debating if I will commercialize it.  On one hand it likely will be a lot of work with low margins.  On the other hand if enough units are sold that will likely create the demand for third party applications to provide
support which helps me.

Activity: 632
Merit: 500
donator
Gerald Davis
An update:
Got my prototype working in windows.  Device is detected by Windows and I can send signals to the board via console app.

I don't have all the wiring I need to connect all 8 relays but I was able to remotely power cycle (and power off and power on) a single rig hooked to relay #0.

Is it nerdy that I smiled after pressing enter on my laptop and seeing a rig power cycle? Smiley

Hopefully the rest of wiring parts will be here by this weekend.
Pretty cool. Each board has two 10 amp @ 240 VAC relays, and they are SPDT which means they don't have to be on all the time. Just turn the relays on for a few seconds when you want to kill the rig. The little ethernet board works directly with SNMP for you hardcore monitoring folks.

Some models have 15A relays. Not that it matters that much, as usually you have 16A fuse for a regular 230-240V line and 2.3kW is already plenty for single rig.

I bought a 16relay IP version for testing. Too cheap to pass up!

BTW, are you actually a (the?) guy that works at pulsedmedia.com? Great seedboxes there.

Yeah, i am Smiley
rjk
1ngldh
Pretty cool. Each board has two 10 amp @ 240 VAC relays, and they are SPDT which means they don't have to be on all the time. Just turn the relays on for a few seconds when you want to kill the rig. The little ethernet board works directly with SNMP for you hardcore monitoring folks.

Some models have 15A relays. Not that it matters that much, as usually you have 16A fuse for a regular 230-240V line and 2.3kW is already plenty for single rig.

BTW, are you actually a (the?) guy that works at pulsedmedia.com? Great seedboxes there.

rjk
1ngldh
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
Il be working on remote power cycling when i get my pi, Wink got alove gpio
legendary
Activity: 1204
฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!
I would like to buy one of this, definitively...

Sometimes, one or another mining rig just hangs... I know that cgminer is still "running" because I can access it trough its APT but, it is impossible to connect using ssh and restart my machine...

But, sometimes, I can access and reboot the mining rig using SSH and Linux Sysrq subsystem:

Code:
sudo -i
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

This works more or like pushing the reset button of the case...

Anyway, this does not works all the time, forcing me to do the regular local power cycle.

It can be awsome if cgminer can run "echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger" trough its API... So, even if machine is "out of ssh access" but, cgminer is still running (and machine still answer ping requests), we can send a command to cgminer do the restart job...

Best!
Thiago
Pages:
Jump to: