Pages:
Author

Topic: Is there evidence that there is a correlation between difficulty and price? - page 2. (Read 2615 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
chaos is fun...…damental :)
Is there evidence that there is a correlation between difficulty and price?
No
Wrong. As the others are pointing out, there's a strong correlation between difficulty and price. Difficulty doesn't affect price, of course, but price affects difficulty. I mine for coins, and I'm profitable above around $4 per BTC right now. I used to be profitable above $2 per BTC, but difficulty has more than doubled since that time, and that trend seems set to continue. When the reward halving occurs, I'll need the price to be at $8 or more to realistically turn a meaningful profit.
do something
1 open excel
2 take the price on mtgox since day one
3 take the diff since mtgox did open
4 plot a chart with price and diff in % change not value
Activity: 482
Merit: 500
No
Wrong. As the others are pointing out, there's a strong correlation between difficulty and price. Difficulty doesn't affect price, of course, but price affects difficulty. I mine for coins, and I'm profitable above around $4 per BTC right now. I used to be profitable above $2 per BTC, but difficulty has more than doubled since that time, and that trend seems set to continue. When the reward halving occurs, I'll need the price to be at $8 or more to realistically turn a meaningful profit.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
And if so why do you think that is? What causes demand to go up? Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved. So I'm a little unclear on this.

I suspect your question is not really about correlation. You can look at the graphs of price and difficulty and the correlation is obvious.

Perhaps what you really want ask is "Does difficulty affect price?"

I don't think it does, at least not directly. I don't think anyone has come up with a good reason why it would. On the other hand, it could said be that as the difficulty goes up (or the reward goes down) the number of people mining will go down. Some of them might lose interest and that will result in a lower demand for bitcoins.

Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved.

The supply of BTC for sale continues to rise because mining increases the general amount of BTC. The amount of BTC sold on MtGox is 10 times the total amount of BTC being mined, so I don't think that halving the reward will make a noticeable difference in the supply of BTC for sale.
legendary
Activity: 938
chaos is fun...…damental :)
No
legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
And if so why do you think that is? What causes demand to go up? Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved. So I'm a little unclear on this.
When price is high compared to difficulty, miners invest in more equipment and difficulty goes up.  When price is low and difficulty high, mining becomes unprofitable for many miners.  They stop mining to save electricity, and difficulty goes down.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
I would expect there to be a correlation. As the price of BTC goes up, there will be more miners, and thus higher difficulty.
legendary
Activity: 826
amarha

Pages:
Jump to: