Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Theymos anonymous? - page 3. (Read 7366 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
November 12, 2013, 02:51:42 AM
OP yes Theymos has been doxed but that info is not public for obvious reasons. However there is a fair amount on the Intternet if you know where to look.

Also ignore these trolls(staff). Your question was a valid one.

Hey Goat! What's today's reason for being butthurt?

Nobody said OP's question was invalid, he's just looking for answers in the wrong places, namely this forum.
My suggestion would be to skip the forum's trust system altogether and use bitcoin-otc.com which is much simpler and straightforward and doesn't have the bizarre concept of "default trust".
Activity: 187
Merit: 162
November 12, 2013, 01:37:20 AM
I've been a professional software developer for almost 10 years, I have a pretty decent idea of what it takes to run a site using someone else's forum software.

No offense, but your statements say otherwise. Hint:

Quote from: go1111111
-Bitcointalk uses Javascript. It is well known that a lot of members here will be on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet site at the same time. There may be some XSS opportunity here, though as I said I'm not an expert.

And so 90% of the internet, also you have no understanding of XSS. Can you please stop posting your "expert" opinions please? Because that's simply dumb.

I think some of you are misinterpreting my statement, which is understandable because it wasn't too clear. By "I have a pretty decent idea of what it takes to run a site using someone else's forum software" I meant that I had a sense of the resources it takes to do so, not that I'm familiar with the day to day technical process. I know people who run forums, I know roughly how much they spend on them, and I know how good their forums are. I know that bitcointalk doesn't look like a forum with 600k in funding.

You have correctly identified that I know almost nothing about XSS. I wasn't relying on my technical experience to give credibility to my XSS concerns. I pointed out my background to call bullshit on the idea that someone was spending $600k on this forum. Theymos basically confirmed that by saying that the 600k hasn't been spent.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
November 12, 2013, 01:00:44 AM
Your misunderstanding of how the trust system works is one reason why you are not in DefaultTrust.

No you misunderstand the trust system, yeah we get it, we don't have to trust anyone or use any list, but the fact is at some point you have to use the list that the majority of the group uses. So you have these default list, which the majority of the new users use, while old users are not forced to use, now have too. I used satoshi as a my default for a while then people were leaving me bad feedback and FALSE feedback and I had then switch to monitor that. Which is still something not fixed.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
November 12, 2013, 12:51:37 AM
"Actual trustworthiness is important"  But you say you did not trust him?

I trusted him not to abuse his power. Mostly because he had much to lose and almost nothing to gain by doing so, not because I thought that he was particularly ethical. And I was right: he didn't abuse his power in any noticeable way.
administrator
November 12, 2013, 12:44:07 AM
Well, you said you trusted the guy. You vouched for him.

No. That's not how the Trust system works. There's a reason why trust lists and trust ratings are separate. You can trust that someone is not a scammer but not trust them to have a good trust list, and vice-versa. Listing someone in your trust list indicates only that you like their ratings and/or trust list in some way (defined by you). With the default trust system, my goal is to maximize the number of default-trusted ratings while minimizing the number of incorrect ratings (especially negative ones). There haven't been any major failures in this area.

There actually isn't a way to vouch for someone in the trust system if you use it properly. There are only trust events which are interpreted by users, and trust list relationships which are mostly unrelated to real trust. This is why I kept my positive trust rating of TF even though my overall trust in him has diminished. My personal history with TF has not changed. My trust in him has diminished, but only because of how I am interpreting other trust events. My own history/rating is still relevant to the full picture of TF's trustworthiness in my mind, and it may still be relevant to others.

Your misunderstanding of how the trust system works is one reason why you are not in DefaultTrust.
administrator
November 12, 2013, 12:20:58 AM
yeah, Theymos, would you mind telling us the reason Tradefortress was on the default trust list? My speculation was that he had "disclosed security flaws in a responsible manner" as your feedback for him said, but was that the reason or was there another reason?

No. The damage someone in DefaultTrust can do is very limited, so a lot of trust isn't required. I've actually long been suspicious of TradeFortress because he was holding too much BTC, CoinLenders looked like a HYIP, and I've heard some suspicious rumors about him. But I thought that he was very unlikely to go totally crazy with trust. (And he didn't.)

He was on DefaultTrust because his trust list was good. There were only a few problems that ever resulted from his list, but he brought many good people into the trust network. He also seemed to understand the trust system more than anyone else, and he paid the most attention to trust activity across the trust system.

Someone in DefaultTrust is like a moderator responsible for cultivating a good trust network. They need to make sure that anyone trusting them sees many accurate ratings and no inaccurate ratings. Actual trustworthiness is important, but I can quickly respond to any abuses, so it isn't the most important factor in my decision to add someone to DefaultTrust.

The default trust network needs to work in this (somewhat counter-intuitive) centralized way, but you don't need to use the trust system in this way. You can use it more like a web of trust, adding only people who you trust to your trust list.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
November 12, 2013, 12:02:30 AM
Since you asked maybe cuz he was on the "default trust" list?

yeah, Theymos, would you mind telling us the reason Tradefortress was on the default trust list? My speculation was that he had "disclosed security flaws in a responsible manner" as your feedback for him said, but was that the reason or was there another reason?
administrator
November 12, 2013, 12:01:18 AM
Since you asked maybe cuz he was on the "default trust" list?

Ask anyone on the default trust list (or any of the moderators) how well they know me... I don't need to be friends with people to identify them as good moderators or trust-list-builders.
administrator
November 11, 2013, 11:39:40 PM
-Theymos seems to have been a defender/supporter of TradeFortress. 

Where'd you get that impression? I defended his Ripple-related actions once, and my opinion of that case hasn't changed. But I barely know him.

I'm not a sociable guy. There are few people in the Bitcoin community who I have any sort of casual relationship with. AFAIK, I've met a grand total of two forum users AFK.

-The fact that Theymos allegedly raised like $600k for this forum, yet the forum is not that good technically, is sort of weird and makes me wonder how much of that was actually spent on the forum. 

It's provable via the block chain that that money hasn't been spent, and I don't even hold a lot of that money.
legendary
1davout
November 11, 2013, 09:53:11 PM
It's not an either/or. Would you not care if theymos was using people's bctalk passwords to try to crack the web wallet passwords of newbs, as long as it didn't affect you?

Your question seems to imply that I'd have some way of knowing. I don't. I do know that money does strange things to people, so the correct course of action is to avoid the problem altogether by ensuring your very own safety.

You'd want the benefits of being your own bank without having your own bank to protect?
November 11, 2013, 09:34:14 PM

Everyone is responsible for their own safety, knowing that nobody will ever bail you out, or protect you is a much saner mindset than the "let's protect dumb people from their own stupidity and incompetence" fantasy.

It's not an either/or. Would you not care if theymos was using people's bctalk passwords to try to crack the web wallet passwords of newbs, as long as it didn't affect you?
legendary
1davout
November 11, 2013, 09:13:58 PM
Being indirectly raped by theymos still sounds suboptimal.

Sale/purchase of forum accounts is openly permitted, hence the indirect rape.
Just don't trust the forum.

I've been a professional software developer for almost 10 years, I have a pretty decent idea of what it takes to run a site using someone else's forum software.

Stick to development, you're not ready for management.
If there was a magical open source silver bullet it'd be used already. Otherwise it has to be tailor-made, see previous post.

I'm not asking about my own security. You guys are acting like it's not legitimate to care whether owners of this forum are contributing to newbs and dumb people being stolen from.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety, knowing that nobody will ever bail you out, or protect you is a much saner mindset than the "let's protect dumb people from their own stupidity and incompetence" fantasy.

Anyways, theymos is asking SMF for an exception so the forum's modifications can be audited. so you can audit with to your heart's content.

What?
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
November 11, 2013, 09:03:33 PM
You seem to assume that transforming money into working software is easy and frictionless. It just isn't, managing an IT project is a full-time job.

...right.

Anyways, theymos is asking SMF for an exception so the forum's modifications can be audited. so you can audit with to your heart's content.
November 11, 2013, 08:54:01 PM
That is true, dumb people will get raped, probably not by theymos though. Or at least not directly.

Being indirectly raped by theymos still sounds suboptimal.

You seem to assume that transforming money into working software is easy and frictionless. It just isn't, managing an IT project is a full-time job.

You shouldn't need to trust him if you use a different password for all sites you care about and if you assume no PM privacy.
Bottom line, if your security depends on trusting theymos I suggest you review your security instead of looking for reasons to trust him.

I'm not asking about my own security. You guys are acting like it's not legitimate to care whether owners of this forum are contributing to newbs and dumb people being stolen from.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 11, 2013, 08:45:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSWnxieScw heres a interview he did seems pretty transparent to me

Excellent fine, bud. I just found one of Gavin Andresen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtkflEaeGjo
legendary
1davout
November 11, 2013, 08:44:25 PM
I'm not an expert.

Obviously not, but at least you have a realistic assessment here. It's just that XSS doesn't work that way.

-There are some small % of newb/dumb bitcointalk forum members who probably use a similar password on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet. It seems possible that Theymos could somehow get access to people's bitcointalk passwords if he wanted, giving him or his friends a huge password cracking advantage over a random person.

That is true, dumb people will get raped, probably not by theymos though. Or at least not directly.

-Theymos seems to have been a defender/supporter of TradeFortress. It's possible that they are friends, but I'm not sure. The circumstances around 1 million dollars disappearing from TradeFortress's inputs.io business suggest that TradeFortress may be very shady.

TF looks like he's been sloppy, probably not malicious though. But that's just my opinion.

-There are a lot of people on reddit who pop up with stories about how funds were stolen from their hot wallets because they didn't have 2-factor authentication, and they describe having pretty complex passwords. It's somewhat of a mystery how their passwords are being cracked.

I think there are far more plausible explanations the one you're suggesting.

-The fact that Theymos allegedly raised like $600k for this forum, yet the forum is not that good technically, is sort of weird and makes me wonder how much of that was actually spent on the forum.

I'm not saying we should suspect Theymos of any nefarious activities, but the above is just why I care more about Theymos's trust level than I care about a random user's.

You shouldn't need to trust him if you use a different password for all sites you care about and if you assume no PM privacy.
Bottom line, if your security depends on trusting theymos I suggest you review your security instead of looking for reasons to trust him.
November 11, 2013, 08:43:46 PM
So, you want to trust theymos to protect people from their own stupidity? Did I got that right?

Not quite. I'm just wondering how sure we are that Theymos is not the kind of person to try to actively take advantage of the stupidity of people who use his forum.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 11, 2013, 08:36:45 PM
So, you want to trust theymos to protect people from their own stupidity? Did I got that right?
November 11, 2013, 08:30:28 PM

I'm not a security expert, but if Theymos did want to be untrustworthy, it seems like he's in a better position to do harm than a lot of people:

-Bitcointalk uses Javascript. It is well known that a lot of members here will be on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet site at the same time. There may be some XSS opportunity here, though as I said I'm not an expert.

-There are some small % of newb/dumb bitcointalk forum members who probably use a similar password on bitcointalk and on their favorite web wallet. It seems possible that Theymos could somehow get access to people's bitcointalk passwords if he wanted, giving him or his friends a huge password cracking advantage over a random person.

A few small bits of info that I found mildly concerning, and caused me to be curious about Theymos:

-Theymos seems to have been a defender/supporter of TradeFortress. It's possible that they are friends, but I'm not sure. The circumstances around 1 million dollars disappearing from TradeFortress's inputs.io business suggest that TradeFortress may be very shady.

-There are a lot of people on reddit who pop up with stories about how funds were stolen from their hot wallets because they didn't have 2-factor authentication, and they describe having pretty complex passwords. It's somewhat of a mystery how their passwords are being cracked.

I'm not saying we should suspect Theymos of any nefarious activities, but the above is just why I care more about Theymos's trust level than I care about a random user's.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 11, 2013, 08:15:24 PM
There's not that much info about him on the Internet, at least not much visible from some cursory searching.

Bad job sherlock.

What info are you finding? Sure, he appears to have a website which lists some personal preferences, an inactive twitter account, a Wikipedia user page which lists more personal preferences, and some references to his email/AIM/ICQ accounts. That's not very useful information for establishing trust.

And why do you need to trust him that much, may I ask?
Pages:
Jump to: