Pages:
Author

Topic: Is trust in Bitcoin developers required? - page 2. (Read 967 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Nope, I have good stuff around here these days. We have plenty of more decent things here for others to get used to. Hello?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Ultimately you need to trust someone, since no person is capable of knowing everything. That's how society works. People specialize on different fields, trusting that other people in other fields know what they're doing.

Imagine you have a building. It's open source, in the sense that you have access to all blueprints and all details about the construction process. But you're an accountant, and you don't understand anything about architecture. So, do you trust the architect and all the construction workers that are making the building you will be living in for the next decades?
Activity: 527
Merit: 500
The algorithms behind the scenes can be as beautiful as you want them to be BUT ultimately most people using these wallets can't code or read code so they need to trust that the cryptocurrency wallet they download isn't sending their passwords off to the creator of the cryptocurrency.  Certainly open source helps but theoretically the site hosting the wallet could giving out different versions to different people or something.

So what is the point of trustlessness if we are trusting developers?

I don't really agree with that statement myself, but I'd like to spark a discussion about the topic and hear the thoughts of others as well as solutions.
Pages:
Jump to: