Pages:
Author

Topic: Isnt it time to give up cryptocurrency ranking - page 2. (Read 503 times)

Activity: 78
Merit: 0
i think its too early to decide to give up on crypto because of the ranking. we have almost 4
4months to the end of the year.
Activity: 840
Merit: 254
One thing I know. Stop looking at coinmarketcap. That is a hell of fake news for me.
There is not much of a legitimate market of one crypto currency.

I saw a lot of projects which are really good and yet they are ranked at the thousands number. It is disappointing to see more people are relying on that and they are doing some math with the market cap and whatever it is.
Even with the good exchanges listed by them they are still somewhere at the bottom.
The market price notice is just the algorithm of the website being programmed. The price of each cash flow is due to the market or the owner of the project that updates the situation. All information is just behind them, the reality is very different. Do not spend too much time listening to the market. Be prepared for your plans to achieve certain goals do not be too greedy...

Do you think there's a bit of favoritism going on with some of these sites? Some false promotion in exchange for some coins under the table? It's insider trading like on wall street, except no one will ever know it happened. That's what you've really got to be careful about with crypto.

It's not worth spending much energy crawling through these sites anyway. Learn your own criteria for judging the value of a coin and then invest little by little until you have enough conviction that it is worth that money. And certainly, don't get too greedy or it might all disappear.
It is very likely that something like that is happening behind the scenes, no one likes to think about it because the consequences of such a thing for the market will be terrible but that is why it is not always the best idea to trade your coins, because if you find yourself in the wrong side of a manipulation of the market you could easily lose a substantial amount of your capital and it will not be your fault.
Activity: 10
Bitcoin may be wiped out for a different currency, but there is no such thing. Bitcoin is still the market leader
Activity: 81
Merit: 11
Rankings should count on community use because a successful coin must have a large user community. Next came new products, and applied to life. Don't trust the evaluation sites, they give the data themselves, no one checked the data. There should be a VoteUp system for everyone
Yes that is right I think that we should leave it on community, peoples, like and dislike, which they are already doing. In fact people have already selected bitcoin as number one crypto currency and I think that Etherium is on number two. Though there are so many other crypto currencies which have good potential and their ranks are also expected to increase because of the increasing interest of the people.
Activity: 332
Merit: 12
One thing I know. Stop looking at coinmarketcap. That is a hell of fake news for me.

I saw a lot of projects which are really good and yet they are ranked at the thousands number. It is disappointing to see more people are relying on that and they are doing some math with the market cap and whatever it is.
Even with the good exchanges listed by them they are still somewhere at the bottom.
The market price notice is just the algorithm of the website being programmed. The price of each cash flow is due to the market or the owner of the project that updates the situation. All information is just behind them, the reality is very different. Do not spend too much time listening to the market. Be prepared for your plans to achieve certain goals do not be too greedy...
But I think all such information provided on websites isn’t hand made. No one can just assume some price in mind and then put on the board just to show the audience that okay we have this assumption. You need to know that prices are official, and they can’t just be manipulated according to personal benefits. What comes official is official and you can’t just deny it.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 255
I am also losing my trust in coinmarketcap. I do not know if they are still reliable for the current coin rankings. But one thing for sure if blockchain technology would last in the next 8yrs. We can see all crypto market rise up.

ranking  of cryptocurrencies becomes outdated in my oppinion, its quite easy to create a currency which has a higher marketcap than bitcoin, but a corrupt sect arround the indexes prevents listening of those.

with the end of national banking cartels a time called "coins of style" will come, in this it will be more about a cryptocurrency and about its management and much less about a pretended selffullfilling ranking.

this could then also help prevent to get the market divided into new marketmovements. that want to free themselves from attention monopolies of established top 10 coins.
etc.

regards
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
For example, I would very much like a ranking service which compares only coins that have:
- an own blockchain (similar to the "Coin" table on CMC)

Coin market cap has this option. You just have to select from the dropdown menu whether you want only coins or all crypto according to their market capitalization. I agree with you though since the first ranking to appear on the site is list of top cryptos and not coins with their own blockchain.
Yep, but the second condition I would like (to list only coins without a pre-mine) isn't available at Coinmarketcap.

Coinmarketcap has at least a "Filter non-mineable" toggle option. This filter takes out currencies where the supply is fixed (most of them based on a pure ICO distribution, like NXT or NEM) and so it filters "the worst offenders" in terms of premine. However, coins like Ethereum, where a big part of the supply has been premined, are still available in this list. In theory, even a coin which has a 99% premine could made "mineable". Another point I don't like is that this list is pretty much hidden.

What I would like is a "Filter premined" option, and the resulting list presented prominently as something like "Decentralized cryptocurrencies." or "cryptocurrencies without premine".
Activity: 490
Merit: 101
Well, the rankings do help some investors make decision as to what and what to go for in deciding the right investments to make for the year; long or short term. I do also like this to some extents as it creates order.
Activity: 714
Merit: 100
Acewins.io
You are totally right that market cap is a horrible metric to "rank" cryptocurrencies, as it can be easily manipulated.

But the flawed rankings are caused partly because the ranking services (Coinmarketcap et al.) compare apples to bananas. Above all, because they compare complete blockchain projects with tokens which are created out of thin air, at almost no cost, on an existing blockchain.

For example, I would very much like a ranking service which compares only coins that have:
- an own blockchain (similar to the "Coin" table on CMC)

Coin market cap has this option. You just have to select from the dropdown menu whether you want only coins or all crypto according to their market capitalization. I agree with you though since the first ranking to appear on the site is list of top cryptos and not coins with their own blockchain.
Activity: 462
I have long been convinced that all these ratings do not show the real reality. All reviews comments are ordered from freelancers and there is no objective truth about the ICO. Therefore, we have to study all the coins and all the companies ourselves. Their products, websites, white paper, etc. are Time consuming, but it is more productive.
I also do not appreciate ICO analysis websites because I think the information about the ICO projects on those webmasters might be a PR rush for ICO projects. Take the research and analysis methodology of ICO projects you want to invest to take responsibility for your decision, mistakes will be the lessons learned in this market.
True, because not all of them can predict it very right. We don’t what will be the next move of market or the next move of bitcoin. Well, replacing bitcoin by other crypto currency is not that easy.
Activity: 644
Merit: 263
I think this procedure is automated and depends on various factors like daily trading volume for particular coin and its market cap. You saying that the market cap can be created with high volume but I say no, nothing like that can be done. It is not that easy to make market move in such way otherwise every coin would have done the same to have visibly and go to the Top 10 list. Everything happen naturally and you can observe that the rankings keeps changing all the time for many coins depending upon how the market cap is driving for them.  Smiley
Activity: 239
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
I have long been convinced that all these ratings do not show the real reality. All reviews comments are ordered from freelancers and there is no objective truth about the ICO. Therefore, we have to study all the coins and all the companies ourselves. Their products, websites, white paper, etc. are Time consuming, but it is more productive.
I also do not appreciate ICO analysis websites because I think the information about the ICO projects on those webmasters might be a PR rush for ICO projects. Take the research and analysis methodology of ICO projects you want to invest to take responsibility for your decision, mistakes will be the lessons learned in this market.
Activity: 284
Merit: 5
But in my opinion I think they're also good in some way to rank them. It makes people know where to follow and what to follow. Anyways I think it would also prevent people from manipulating the market though!
Activity: 658
Merit: 108
Cryptocurrency rankings are indeed flawed. It comes from a traditional (and obvisously correct) approach that market capitalization means number of shares times price per share. However, rankings distinguish between total supply and available supply and even count in tokens that are made on existing blockchains. It is entirely misleading and it confuses investors.
Activity: 346
Merit: 102
Activity: 308
Merit: 10
ranking of cryptocurrencies becomes outdated in my oppinion, its quite easy to create a currency which has a higher marketcap than bitcoin, but a corrupt sect arround the indexes prevents listening of those.

with the end of national banking cartels a time called "coins of style" will come, in this it will be more about a cryptocurrency and about its management and much less about a pretended selffullfilling ranking.

this could then also help prevent to get the market divided into new marketmovements. that want to free themselves from attention monopolies of established top 10 coins.
etc.

regards
In my opinion the main problem with the ranking of cryptocurrency is that those ranks are usually subjective, I haven't heard that somebody is paying money in order to get higher ranks and ICO bench and whatever else sources.

No it was not subjective, the rankings of cryptocurrency is always based on the prices in different market's because in this way you can determine what coin has the highest progress in the industry.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
It's really easy for new coins to do wash trading and price manipulation to get a higher ranking on coinmarketcap.  I've seen some really useless coins make their way to the top 50 of CMC overnight.  It's very concerning that a ponzi scam (bitconnect) was once a top 10 coin. Coinmarketcap has started to crack down on fraudulent coins but the problem still persists. 
Activity: 23

Do you think there's a bit of favoritism going on with some of these sites? Some false promotion in exchange for some coins under the table? It's insider trading like on wall street, except no one will ever know it happened. That's what you've really got to be careful about with crypto.

It's not worth spending much energy crawling through these sites anyway. Learn your own criteria for judging the value of a coin and then invest little by little until you have enough conviction that it is worth that money. And certainly, don't get too greedy or it might all disappear.
Activity: 266
Merit: 10

Activity: 840
Merit: 254
ranking of cryptocurrencies becomes outdated in my oppinion, its quite easy to create a currency which has a higher marketcap than bitcoin, but a corrupt sect arround the indexes prevents listening of those.

etc.

regards
This is not going to change besides you can only deceive the really dumb investors because another very important metric is volume, if a coin supposedly has a bigger market cap than bitcoin but this was created in an artificial way then this will show in the volume with a volume that is very low or almost non existent compared to bitcoin, so while the ranking by market cap is flawed it is the best system we have.
Pages:
Jump to: