Pages:
Author

Topic: Isn't this merit thing getting more monopolistic politics? - page 2. (Read 543 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 41
Am glad this thread is open by a legendary member who don't need a merit cause he is already on the highest position in the forum before the introduction of the merit system, will it will not do you any good withholding your smerit because their are being generated just to be given to others who deserve it in other to encourage them for they hard works but this days it very difficult to earn merit.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
... mostly everyone here is just to earn a side income, and for most of them, it's a living if they are in a signature campaign.

That's why I don't give merits to members of signature campaigns. I do not want to encourage people to post garbage for money.

I also ignore members of signature campaigns so I never see their posts. As a result, I give away very few merits because 90% of the members are here trying to make money.

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 10802
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
<…>- Are merits actually being circulated between those who really need it?
If we narrow the term “need” to being useful in terms of ranking-up, then let’s start by looking at received merit distribution by rank:
Code:
rank                          EarnedMerit                   %
Administrator                 3195                          1,11%
Global Moderator              757                           ,26%
Donator                       1510                          ,52%
Founder                       1526                          ,53%
Staff                         4261                          1,48%
VIP                           383                           ,13%
Legendary                     52479                         18,17%
Hero Member                   33784                         11,7%
Sr. Member                    47463                         16,43%
Member                        60211                         20,85%
Full Member                   48454                         16,78%
Jr. Member                    24418                         8,45%
Newbie                        9548                          3,31%
Brand new                     823                           ,28%

Total                         288812                        100,%
Note: Data as of 28/12/2018 (currently updating the Merit Dashboard to include data right up to today).  

Arguably, some ranks do not require merit for ranking-up purposes: Administrator, Global Moderator, Donator, Founder, Staff, VIP and Legendary. That adds up to 22% of total currently awarded sMerit (64.111 sMerits).
Nevertheless, those ranks may require some earned merit in order to participate in campaigns (some top paying campaigns seem to require it), feel a certain level of recognition, and as a side effect redistribute the earned sMerit to others.

- Are they also helping out others through their sMerits?
I make the following numbers to be reasonably true:
 600.000      sMerits from the Initial Airdrop
-291.791    Sent sMerits (Merit Sources and Regular users – as of today)
+146.000    minimum organically generated (merit halvings first degree)
--------------------------------------------
454.209   Total unsent sMerits

Therefore 291.791 sMerits have been sent, but there could be something in the line of 450K unsent sMerit, mostly originated in the initial sMerit Airdrop. Now a lot of that could be related to accounts that are no longer active, do not care for the Merit System, or whatever other reason.

There's a different sort of thinking I've come across - most people don't use their merits by not sharing them with those who deserve them.
As stated above, the initial unspent sMerit airdrop is an incognita as to why there is still so much. I don’t think it is so much a question of it been hoarded per-se, but rather that there are many people for who the merit game is not attractive, and have no direct operative need for it themselves.

If we focus strictly on earned merit that has not been sent, I make it around 38k (see [TOP-200] Members who have a lot of earned sMerits).

Overall, I don’t see too much of an issue to earn a couple of merits for those that create decent enough content, but rather find that ranking-up speed is really slow for the vast majority in the mid-to-high ranks.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462
https://JetCash.com
Can we get away from the whole concept of merits being awarded to members who need them to supplement their income? Merit should be awarded to encourage good posting, and not to provide an income for some semi-literate spammer who is promoting a scammy project.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 4265
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.
No system can be perfect but so far, since the merit introduction, the forum has taken another shape in respect to quality post.  Usually this type of topic are started by lower rank users complaining of not receiving merit but I'm glad you're a legendary rank user that means you truly want answers to your question instead of an attent to draw attention to yourself.

Back to your questions,
- Are merits actually being circulated between those who really need it?

Yes, the merits are been circulated between not just those  who truly need it but those who deserve the merits. For more info visit the recent merit stats board or keep an eye on this thread "[LOG] The ranked up members - Congratulations!"

You mean the merit receivers? Well it's not an obligation to merit others so it's their choice but we have the merit source to fill-in those space for them and in the near future rules will be implemented to decay unused smerit.

Although there are those who give them out, like
See Smerit as liabilities to myself and an Asset to others and give them away to deserving users immediately I get them.
and this topic starter "Giving 17 Newbie Members a Chance to Rank Up To J. Member" he started from 4 and now 17 newbies. I can't mention all but we have those who do so. .
Activity: 210
Merit: 19
OP actually made a whole lot of sense,as I think there are users who hoard their Smerits for the very reason you've outlined,but they happen to be very few of them,and it should not affect a good poster from ranking up as their are a lot of merits sources and members who merit worthy posts.
For now everyone is left to do whatsoever they wish with their Smerits and I think it should be so,more reason the system introduced sources to avoid complaints from users finding it hard to rank up that user A or B is hoarding merits and not giving them out probably to reduce competition for their spot on signature campaigns
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't matter if the person needs it. What's matter if the person deserves it.

There's a different sort of thinking I've come across - most people don't use their merits by not sharing them with those who deserve them.
There are probably a good number of people here who are not sending out their merits, but I don't think there's anything we can do. If their standards are just really high? Yea, nothing we can do. Content deservedness(for a lack of a better word), is hugely subjective. I personally intentionally lower my judgement slightly with people with lower ranks.

As for people who don't give out merit just to decrease the competition in signature campaigns though? I think that's quite farfetched. If there were people like that, they're probably a huge minority.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
The words I used in the subject above, have got a few more questions to ask:

Reason?!

Merits help others to rank up, mostly everyone here is just to earn a side income, and for most of them, it's a living if they are in a signature campaign. Just to stop others from being promoted to higher ranks so as to reduce competition and keep it low (with the fear of losing their own position in that campaign as few may not be confident enough of their capabilities of remaining in the same), they try their best not to share their merits ahead. But for your information, they're given only with the purpose to share on the basis of "Give & Take" tradition and keeping them to ourselves will be stupid and never be useful to us nor others. So, keep sharing merits and love to those users who really deserve those higher ranks we're at. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: