Pages:
Author

Topic: It can be totally avoided - page 2. (Read 217 times)

Activity: 2800
Merit: 595
https://www.betcoin.ag
November 24, 2023, 01:43:40 PM

At first, I thought these googleplay and appstore were paying devs and coders who would check the codes of the apps uploaded onto them. Seem like the best course of action since these come from opensource project. Android is based on Linux and Apple however is a close source but they have the responsibility since it's their platform and they allow devs to work on their proprietary devices.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 620
November 24, 2023, 01:38:45 PM
For reference, OP is talking about this incident: Microsoft Listing Fake Ledger App Leads to $590K of Bitcoin Stolen by Hackers

Now I'm really scared because most of my crypto apps were downloaded from Google play store. All my wallets including Electrum and Bluewallet and even some exchanges applications were downloaded there. Recently,  I downloaded Uniswap wallet there as well. If scammers can infitrate Google Playstore, the damage will be huge.

What then is your suggestion on safe way to download apps?
You are only going to be scared if you're the type of guy that downloads randomly from unofficial websites of the wallets that you use. Google Playstore, Microsoft store and even the Apple app store can be used by these scammers/hackers.

That's why as someone who uses the wallets that we trust, you need to download it directly from their official website than trusting these applications stores.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
Life's but a walking shadow!
November 24, 2023, 01:33:26 PM
From the original/official website, that is how to download your wallet and your other crypto stuffs. There are quite a lot of scam applications in Google playstore and Apple store, thus you cannot be sure if you are downloading the actual wallet or a phishing application.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
November 24, 2023, 01:28:18 PM
Be careful with third-party app developers, majority of them are criminals, the most common crypto thefts happened through google playstore and even Microsoft app store...
Now I'm really scared because most of my crypto apps were downloaded from Google play store. All my wallets including Electrum and Bluewallet and even some exchanges applications were downloaded there. Recently,  I downloaded Uniswap wallet there as well. If scammers can infitrate Google Playstore, the damage will be huge.

Activity: 229
Merit: 79
November 24, 2023, 01:19:48 PM
Be careful with third-party app developers, majority of them are criminals, the most common crypto thefts happened through google playstore and even Microsoft app store...

I don't completely blame these scammers but the official stores allowing any third-party developers to post their scam apps on the stores, knowing that they are responsible for millions of people visiting the stores to try out apps and software.

Ledger hardware wallet now can't be trusted because of the theft that happened around this year resulting in over 500 million dollars assets lost, the Microsoft store literally allow these third party criminals called developers to make their fake Ledger Live app available for many people.

As gullible as people can be, they thought the app was from Ledger officially, without doing their findings first they went on and connect their hardware wallet, them must have thing that because it's available on the might Microsoft store itself.

At some point, this fake ledger live app asked people to insert their recovery seed phrase and they did, it shows that many people are just running hardware wallet, they don't understand a thing about it, they order for hardware wallet and they believe that it's impenetrable.

There is no amount of security strategy implemented into your hardware wallet, once you insert it into something else apart from that your very hardware wallet you have given your crypto assets away, even if it's Air-gapped, Cold wallet, or whatever, every security is useless once you give your recovery seed away.

Apart from your hardware wallet itself, once something else ask for your recovery seed it's a scam, not even your hardware wallet official website should ask you that.
Pages:
Jump to: