Pages:
Author

Topic: It is possible to make a ZERO spend with Bitcoin? - page 2. (Read 1734 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I'm not an expert but I don't think it is possible, what a lot of people tend to do is send something like 0.0000001 or something which is barely worth anything right now to test stuff, It's actually a really handy feature that Bitcoin has where it stops you from sending any amount of money over what you actually have, as I'm sure most people here know when it comes to bank accounts if you send more than you actually have somewhere by accident you automatically get put on an overdraft and put into debt! >_<

If people didn't send anything of value as well then I suspect it would clog up the system with lots of 'useless' transactions and miners would be forced to confirm transactions that weren't actually worth anything or doing anything useful.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Recent speculation about MtGox has raised the possibility that Karpeles may have spent BTC into wallets for which he had invalid private keys.  Ie, his key generation algorithm may have malfunctioned.

I don't care to speculate about that.  However, it does raise a valid technical question...

Is there a way to test the private key of a Bitcoin wallet without transferring real value?  Ie, can I make a spend of 0.00000000 BTC to another wallet?

Obviously no value would xfer, but the transaction would get recorded in the blockchain.

Tell me, is this possible or practical as a way of doing a simple live test on a new wallet before sending live value to it?
Pages:
Jump to: