Pages:
Author

Topic: It's possible to trace a bitcoin transaction? - page 2. (Read 517 times)

Activity: 186
Merit: 11
Thanks for the answers and information.
But maybe it's worth to try to hire some layer to track the person and get back the money? If the amount is pretty high?
Or it's not worth at all and just forget about it...
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
Hello,

Recently I have sent btc to a guy who was selling some stuff and till now I haven't received what I paid for, so my question is if it's even possible to somehow get back the coins or trace the guy who received the coins?

You can try looking up if the coins ended on some known exchange or service, if so, you can report the crime at the police and send them the police report, they might freeze the coins at least.
Activity: 2856
Merit: 768
The coins are gone unfortunately. There's no way of directly retrieving them.

As for tracing the thief it depends.

Some people are incredibly lazy and keep reusing the same address. The thief might post the address again somewhere online and link it to a real world clue. Google the address you sent it to and see if anything comes up and do it every now and then in future too.

If you manage to identify them, and that's a very long shot, law enforcement are unlikely to give a shit sadly but you never know.
Fact!

This is why its much better to move on than stressing out yourself and wait up for long just for you to find out that person.Then whats next? making legal action? that would surely cost even more.

For you op, theres no way on tracing it back nor reversing the transactions thats why you should really be careful on making transactions online.

Always use escrow when in doubt and if not then try to stick to those sellers that do have lots of positive feedbacks and recommendations.

Treat this situation as charged to your experience and making yourself aware on next time same scenarios.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
The coins are gone unfortunately. There's no way of directly retrieving them.

As for tracing the thief it depends.

Some people are incredibly lazy and keep reusing the same address. The thief might post the address again somewhere online and link it to a real world clue. Google the address you sent it to and see if anything comes up and do it every now and then in future too.

If you manage to identify them, and that's a very long shot, law enforcement are unlikely to give a shit sadly but you never know.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
so my question is if it's even possible to somehow get back the coins
No, transactions are irreversible.
If you could get your coins back just by clicking, bitcoin would be worthless, right?

or trace the guy who received the coins?
You can't trace the guy, but you can trace the BITCOINS you sent in the blockchain using the address.

You can go to https://blockchair.com/bitcoin/address/***** and change *** for the address you sent your coins too.

You will be able to see if he sent it or not to another address, but that's all you can do.

Did you buy anything in this forum? I can tag the user. You can make an scam accusation against him. Have you contact him already?
Activity: 186
Merit: 11
Hello,

Recently I have sent btc to a guy who was selling some stuff and till now I haven't received what I paid for, so my question is if it's even possible to somehow get back the coins or trace the guy who received the coins?

Pages:
Jump to: