Pages:
Author

Topic: I've read somewhere in 4 years the blockchain will be 700GB - page 3. (Read 4986 times)

Activity: 219
Merit: 102
20 years ago the average person didn't need more than 100 GB of storage. File sizes have been getting progressively larger. Just because something is that way now doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

Sigh!  Cry Yet still the full nodes keep diminishing.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
Isn't SegWit supposed to make things smaller instead of bigger ? at least his is what I got from this infographic https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/43sjfz/the_bitcoin_core_roadmap_explained_i_made_an/
No. Segwit will make things bigger, like a block size increase. Something has to get bigger in order to allow more transactions.

Yeah I made a mistake, I meant to say blockchain. I post when I take a break from my job and my head is thinking about a lot of things at the same time.

But even if the price of HDs keep going lower, what happens if someday the blockchain is growing fast enough to be bigger than the average HD? I don't see average HD size getting higher than 1TB in the near future (I mean the average person doesn't need more than 1TB..)
That is an invalid argument. 20 years ago the average person didn't need more than 100 GB of storage. File sizes have been getting progressively larger. Just because something is that way now doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

Yeah but I mean in 4 years.

I don't see anyone I know needing more than 1 TB in 4 years, yet, if they wanted to run a bitcoin node, they would run out of space with their regular 1 TB HD which is more than enough for most people. People no longer store movies etc, since connections are so good that you can stream them in HD. So most HD space goes for games, and 1 TB is more than enough. The average computer user will not need more than 1 TB in 4 years at all.
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
Isn't SegWit supposed to make things smaller instead of bigger ? at least his is what I got from this infographic https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/43sjfz/the_bitcoin_core_roadmap_explained_i_made_an/
No. Segwit will make things bigger, like a block size increase. Something has to get bigger in order to allow more transactions.

Yeah I made a mistake, I meant to say blockchain. I post when I take a break from my job and my head is thinking about a lot of things at the same time.

But even if the price of HDs keep going lower, what happens if someday the blockchain is growing fast enough to be bigger than the average HD? I don't see average HD size getting higher than 1TB in the near future (I mean the average person doesn't need more than 1TB..)
That is an invalid argument. 20 years ago the average person didn't need more than 100 GB of storage. File sizes have been getting progressively larger. Just because something is that way now doesn't mean it won't change in the future.
legendary
The block size? The block size is most definitely not going to by 700 Gb. That's way to large. You're probably thinking of the blockchain size. The blockchain currently grows at a rate of 144 MB per day. With Segwit, it can grow at a maximum of 576 MB per day. You can then extrapolate that to the maximum size the blockchain at any point in time.

What happens once the size goes beyond 1TB, or beyond the biggest HD? what happens when you can't fit the blocksize in a regular HDs? Can you run 3/4 of the blockchain then the remaining 1/4 part in another HD?
Hard drive capacity will continue to increase, and it will most certainly outpace the growth of the blockchain. Disk space gets cheaper by the day. The concern should really be on bandwidth, CPU, and RAM bottlenecs. It takes a lot of bandwidth to download the entire blockchain and a lot of CPU and memory to process all of that data.

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031
The block size? The block size is most definitely not going to by 700 Gb. That's way to large. You're probably thinking of the blockchain size. The blockchain currently grows at a rate of 144 MB per day. With Segwit, it can grow at a maximum of 576 MB per day. You can then extrapolate that to the maximum size the blockchain at any point in time.

What happens once the size goes beyond 1TB, or beyond the biggest HD? what happens when you can't fit the blocksize in a regular HDs? Can you run 3/4 of the blockchain then the remaining 1/4 part in another HD?
Hard drive capacity will continue to increase, and it will most certainly outpace the growth of the blockchain. Disk space gets cheaper by the day. The concern should really be on bandwidth, CPU, and RAM bottlenecs. It takes a lot of bandwidth to download the entire blockchain and a lot of CPU and memory to process all of that data.

"Does it decrease the amount of information needed to secure the blockchain and therebefore make syncing with the blockchain faster you ask ? Why yes , yes It does"
Activity: 219
Merit: 102
Hard drive capacity will continue to increase, and it will most certainly outpace the growth of the blockchain. Disk space gets cheaper by the day.
You've been excellent at answering many questions on many threads then you come out with this tired trope. Please don't disseminate this rubbish. It's not, and has never been, a solution. It is the bitcoin equivalent of "Have faith that God shall provide".
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code

legendary
I remember reading this here the other day I think, and it was at a 1MB blocksize rate.... I would guess that in 4 years maybe the blockchain has been increased, at least doubled.

Anyway, let's imagine it doesnt, and we stay at 1MB.... what do you think the price for 700GB will be in 4 years? If things don't change much, it means running a node will take almost an entire HD (let's say the usual HD size is 1TB).

Pages:
Jump to: