Pages:
Author

Topic: Jacob Appelbaum: "Bitcoin Prediction: Major bugs in the near future ..." - page 5. (Read 14831 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
My understanding of Appelbaum is that he would not risk his reputation on spreading lies, but I don't know him personally.

Jacob Applebaum is an idiot! I repeat: Jacob Applebaum is a fscking idiot!

He is a posturing publicity whore who cannot hack shit. Just look at this Tor commits - all he works on is lame stuff, not core Tor code!
Activity: 98
Merit: 13
Jeff - do you know what Appelbaum's concern is?

No.

I do know that bitcoin has a history of newbies appearing, claiming to have found some major hole in bitcoin, and then nothing coming of it.

Beware fact-free FUD.

syn
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Appelbaum is claiming he has knowledge of a specific bug.

He says that we need to direct our questions to Gavin.  Is Gavin aware of this? 

My understanding of Appelbaum is that he would not risk his reputation on spreading lies, but I don't know him personally.

Can anyone confirm that Gavin (or other lead developers) have gotten specifics from Appelbaum?
Activity: 8
Jeff - do you know what Appelbaum's concern is?
Activity: 98
Merit: 13
I agree.  For one thing it relies on encryption and a public log.  Encryption can be broken and with bitcoins as is, you can't force new encryption standards on old bitcoins.  As for the public log, if someone branches from it or introduces their own log then we loose credibility of the currency.

You appear to know very little about how bitcoin works.

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
The 'public log' is the blockchain.

I suggest you read the whitepaper about 'forking' the blockchain, since your statement seems to suggest it is trivial.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34237903/Bit-Coin-Whitepaper

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
Pfft, I expected a long analysis, twitter, classy.
Activity: 46
I agree.  For one thing it relies on encryption and a public log.  Encryption can be broken and with bitcoins as is, you can't force new encryption standards on old bitcoins.  As for the public log, if someone branches from it or introduces their own log then we loose credibility of the currency.

Bitcoins is a good proof of concept, but I think the concept will be taken over and improved upon by companies who don't respect the same level of anonymity that Bitcoins and Tor promote.

This is very silly, i've seen it mentioned several times that the encryption can be improved if need be.
Also: Lol at a company taking over the bitcoin concept, did you read a couple news reports about bitcoin and think you are an expert or something?
why doesn't he just say what it is?

he's effectively bragging that he knows more than us.

can someone who knows what he's talking about speak to it, please?
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
why doesn't he just say what it is? why do some people choose to create panic?
Activity: 284
Merit: 250
Considering what a little "announcement" on mtgox has done to the price today, any actual bug like this would crash the price back to $1.
Activity: 14

Bitcoins is a good proof of concept, but I think the concept will be taken over and improved upon by companies who don't respect the same level of anonymity that Bitcoins and Tor promote.

Jacob Appelbaum: "Bitcoin Prediction: Major bugs in the near future will mess with the 'market'".

http://twitter.com/#!/ioerror/status/78480502641803264

http://twitter.com/#!/ioerror/status/78520413315006465

grumble.
Pages:
Jump to: