Pages:
Author

Topic: John Mcafee & Bitfi launch the first 'unhackable' hardware wallet - page 2. (Read 1379 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
https://twitter.com/cybergibbons/status/1028987435873648640

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/08/13/bitfi-cryptocurrency-wallet-bounty/

https://cointelegraph.com/news/unhackable-wallet-reportedly-breached-hackers-claim-to-meet-bounty-conditions

I am particularly reassured by this quote.

“As of now, we have no evidence that our device can be hacked and if someone succeeds in doing so then we will immediately put out a fix to all devices to address the vulnerability that was discovered and it will be unhackable once again.”

Who knew it was all so simple?
Activity: 980
Merit: 507
That's mean ledger, trezors are hackable?
Not entirely, but that also doesn't mean they are unhackable. It depends on how stupid/knowledgeless a person is.

Okay so this entire unhackable wallet is a big fail. Oh well, what else could one expect from John stupid as fuck McAfee. I swear I'll lose my mind if he doesn't eat his dick in 2020, if bitcoin doesn't reach a Million $ until then.

Also, did you people hear that he no longer accepts money for promoting shitcoins?

120$ and it went that fast? even the Trezor T model didn't go that fast. It seems like John McAfee can tweet about literally anything, and It will get sold.
Wonderful, we have a crypto version of Kim Kardashian here, just wait for a video of McAfee fapping get leaked.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Welt Am Draht
That's mean ledger, trezors are hackable?

I don't think either of them have ever claimed to be unhackable. Anybody who does is an idiot.

Real hardware wallets will have their code carefully checked by their users and it's in everyone's interest to disclose any vulnerabilities they find.

As it stands there are two guaranteed ways for a hacker to get to the funds on your hardware wallet.

1 - you store the seed for the hardware wallet insecurely such as in a file kept online.

2 - the computer you use it with is infected and replaces the address you want to send to on your computer's screen through the wallet app. That's why you need to check the addresses on the screen of the hardware wallet itself which will always be correct.

Neither of them are actual hardware wallet hacks.
Activity: 641
Merit: 253
▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen
That's mean ledger, trezors are hackable? Then I don't think John Mcafee & Bifti can make unhackable hardware wallet. Because hackers are smart too. They will be making a new way to hack. But it is really very tough for them to hack hardware wallet. Sorry to say, This man, John Mcafee, He talks too much than work.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 269
That's a tough choice of words because in the cyber world there's no such thing as unhackable even hardware wallet are no exception because it will always has flaws and bugs. There are even proven research and guide on how to hack hardware wallet through MITM or you can intercept data traffics and get the private keys.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
gentlemand, everytime a post from you in this thread pops up on my watchlist, I actually get a tinge of excitement. Watching serial scammer McAfee and his shills getting repeatedly wrecked is just too fun.

I keep waiting for John's team of SEALs on crack and bath salts to bust through my ceiling and start pulling on their pop guns. Luckily he's made them so strung out they'll be seeing quadruple so I only have a 1 in 4 chance of being hit.
Activity: 145
Merit: 0
I doo agree... It may sound impossible thou... But if it's true, it would be a huge breakthrough in the crypto world. Imagine an unhackable wallet? Many will gain trust and confidence in investing cryptocurrency. Nobody will worry about hackers if this statement is true.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588
gentlemand, everytime a post from you in this thread pops up on my watchlist, I actually get a tinge of excitement. Watching serial scammer McAfee and his shills getting repeatedly wrecked is just too fun.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
https://twitter.com/danielgallagher/status/1029094497593053184?s=21

'Hey @p0isoNz, just wanted to let you know the team went ahead and consolidated all the Bitcoin on your insecure @Bitfi6 wallet and moved it to the next address it will generate so you can quickly secure your funds. We also payed the transaction fees. No thanks needed!'

Not totally sure about the circumstances regarding this one. It looks like the owner of the wallet posted some of his details, but it adds to the rich tapestry of failure. It doesn't look like a flat out grabbing of coins from afar yet.

Honestly I hope this is really true of this unhackable bitfi wallet by macafee. I have never seen anyone like it.

Have you read anything so far that convinces you it's anything other than horseshit?
Activity: 667
Merit: 1
Honestly I hope this is really true of this unhackable bitfi wallet by macafee. I have never seen anyone like it. Although I haven't seen it or used it or try to test it. but I see that macafee us very confident about its security and boastful of it always. I hope its as its said to be.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 106
i veyr well understand the importance of security in this technology and most especially in these days where the activities of hackers are everywhere and have become a challenge to the technological framework as well as the investor. that a wallet is unhackable is indeed a strong claim.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
That guy has been 15 for what feels like several years now.

Not too impressed with that tweet. As the article says, you post a bounty and then start dropping gangsta tweets? Eh?
legendary
legendary
But why would you want to? Smiley

So you can hack it and claim the $250,000 bounty of course! (Except you couldn't, because they will never pay out, because the bounty is just a scam marketing trick for their scam wallet.)
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
https://mobile.twitter.com/OverSoftNL/status/1025000286119780353:

"So yeah: you don't need a BitFi device to run a BitFi wallet.
I repeat: there's nothing in that device that is required for the BitFi app to function. There's NO secure element. They could've released it on the Play Store as an app."

Maybe this is a good thing - instead of forking out hundreds of dollars for what is essentially an unsecure old android phone, you can just download the APK and run it on any device with an android emulator.  Grin

But why would you want to? Smiley
legendary
https://mobile.twitter.com/OverSoftNL/status/1025000286119780353:

"So yeah: you don't need a BitFi device to run a BitFi wallet.
I repeat: there's nothing in that device that is required for the BitFi app to function. There's NO secure element. They could've released it on the Play Store as an app."

Maybe this is a good thing - instead of forking out hundreds of dollars for what is essentially an unsecure old android phone, you can just download the APK and run it on any device with an android emulator.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
So assuming it can be rooted, and most likely third parties will be selling compromised versions, what steps are needed to gain someone's funds assuming they use a compromised device from the off? Would it be very straightforward or are there are some steps that would be considerably harder?

Since this wallet is auto-updating itself each time it has an internet connection, you don't really need to sell compromised versions.
You would just need to find a vulnerability and use an exploit to compromise ALL devices which are logging in (auto updating) their wallet within the trame frame of the beginning of your attack and the end of your attack (when bitfi wallet server gets shut down).

But, assuming it can be rooted.. it would really be straight forward to create a malicious version which will serve as a backdoor. This is nothing compared to an attack on a ledger nano s / trezor.

legendary
Welt Am Draht
https://twitter.com/OverSoftNL/status/1024684201575108615

Bring on so much shrillness that checking their and Mcafee's Twitter accounts will cause your speakers to shatter.

So assuming it can be rooted, and most likely third parties will be selling compromised versions, what steps are needed to gain someone's funds assuming they use a compromised device from the off? Would it be very straightforward or are there are some steps that would be considerably harder?

As there's nothing on board I presume that also means there's nothing to stop you being fed whatever someone wants you to see and everything you do going straight to them.
Activity: 105
Merit: 59

Well, the opinion of every single person in crypto worth listening to on this corroborates your conclusions. They can screech all they want. That's not going to convince anyone.

I think "screech" is a good description of their social media "strategy".
legendary
Welt Am Draht
They're currently trying to throw shade on me, claiming I'm out to get them due to some perceived personal slight.

Well, the opinion of every single person in crypto worth listening to on this corroborates your conclusions. They can screech all they want. That's not going to convince anyone.

Pages:
Jump to: