Pages:
Author

Topic: John the Ripper and partially known password bruteforce - page 2. (Read 379 times)

Activity: 118
Merit: 36
I think john the ripper is the right tool also. Have a look at this.

https://countuponsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/jtr-cheat-sheet.pdf

There are many sites you can download rule sets from.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1042
Death to enemies!
Of course I have created disk images and working on them.

A tool that creates wordlist from mangling given passphrase also would be workable. In fact it could be much better since it will be simpler for me to implement in bat file.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I have no backups
I can't help you with your problem, but (to state the obvious) I can recommend to create a backup first: create a disk image (or more than one). The image will still be encrypted, but at least disk failure won't mean losing the data if you ever recover the password.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1042
Death to enemies!
I have this DiskCryptor 0.9.x encrypted computer that I only partially remember password. I used this password for every day for like 1,5 years and one not so good evening I came back home, entered the password and it was not accepted. Tried various combinations, maybe I missed some letter or wrong case. Nothing. I am pretty sure that the encryption is not malfunctioning or somehow gotten corrupted. It is the password that got some bit flip in my brain. It got not only several bitcoins stored on that computer, but my digital life for almost decade that is locked away - pictures, music, game saves, everything.

I have the password written down after the incident as I remember it. Obviously, it is not the exact correct password. I think that John The Ripper is best software that can do various permutations on a text string given, then feed the output into command line of diskcryptor and depending of diskcryptor returned status repeat with new password or print out correct password. All could be controlled with BAT file.

I need some ideas and general discussion. Maybe someone have better software that can manipulate a password. I have no backups, the setup was super paranoid and secure.
Pages:
Jump to: