Pages:
Author

Topic: JUST HAD 0.92329 BTC STOLEN - HOW??? - page 2. (Read 8361 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
Even if he did, that doesn't mean his seed is definitely unrecoverable as you imply.

Electrum, until recently, truncated the wallet file before writing to it for each wallet save. This could leave the (possibly encrypted) seed in multiple blocks on the drive, depending on how often Electrum saved the wallet file, even if he shredded it. (Newer versions of Electrum create a new wallet file, and then unlink the old one, again leaving the seed in potentially multiple blocks).

MZ's questions are good ones.

Sorry But I am not a technical guy and I didn't get what you said Tongue
Anyway, "Shred"="Permanently Delete"! That's what I have heard till now! If that can be recovered either I am using an outdated technology or you are using a new one Tongue

In other words, whenever Electrum saves the wallet file, it does a normal delete, and then creates a new wallet file. If OP shredded his wallet file, he only shredded that most recently saved file. Other older copies of the wallet, as deleted by Electrum, might still be on the drive somewhere.
Activity: 518
Merit: 501
Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.
Sorry if this is already answered. Which OS are you using? Have you tried to recover deleted file?

P.S. See http://wikihow.com/Recover-Deleted-Files-from-Your-Computer. If you are lucky, you maybe able to recover it.

He said he "shredded" it! It cannot be recovered! Shredding Files deletes it permanently and cant be recovered!

Even if he did, that doesn't mean his seed is definitely unrecoverable as you imply.

Electrum, until recently, truncated the wallet file before writing to it for each wallet save. This could leave the (possibly encrypted) seed in multiple blocks on the drive, depending on how often Electrum saved the wallet file, even if he shredded it. (Newer versions of Electrum create a new wallet file, and then unlink the old one, again leaving the seed in potentially multiple blocks).

Sorry But I am not a technical guy and I didn't get what you said Tongue
Anyway, "Shred"="Permanently Delete"! That's what I have heard till now! If that can be recovered either I am using an outdated technology or you are using a new one Tongue
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
Sorry if this is already answered. Which OS are you using? Have you tried to recover deleted file?

P.S. See http://wikihow.com/Recover-Deleted-Files-from-Your-Computer. If you are lucky, you maybe able to recover it.

He said he "shredded" it! It cannot be recovered! Shredding Files deletes it permanently and cant be recovered!

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
The coins have been joined in an address with similar small inputs and then passed through addresses with more coins, they have probably been mixed/are being mixed. I bet this is some new malware that's being widespread. Too bad OP shredded everything, otherwise we have many security experts around that could have analysed the system...

Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
So is this a flaw in Electrum?

We will never know if it is a fault 'by electrum' or a computer problem... but the OP said:

I've already deleted that wallet, cleared it out and shredded it. Shit. Is there anyway to retrieve it?

When ThomasV asked the seed for a check.

legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
So is this a flaw in Electrum?
Activity: 682
Merit: 500
Fuck sake. I sold my gopro to buy those coins. Unbelievable!
legendary
#Free market
It goes without saying then that I'm screwed, and now broke Sad

Can't believe it. Time after time I've been scammed by vapourware or delays. Never been robbed straight up from my wallet

Donations welcome  Embarrassed

Help a 'hero' out!

I don't think you will receive any donation from the forum users, because it seems really strange from you.

No me neither. Got nothing to lose though. I'm an honest guy I just really hope people don't think I'm making this up. I am just a small time bitcoin user with a roof over my head and place to rest my head. So I'm lucky in that respect. If anyone should be asking for donations it should be the poor souls in Nepal that really really need donations.

Just wish I hadn't lost all of bitcoin is all! Sad

However I suggest you to pubblic your seed (as ThomasV said previously in his post). So the electrum team can investigate, but I do not think it is an electrum problem (at 99% is a 'machine' problem).

Have you checked your computer? A complete check.

For the question of donation, I think if it is (was) an electrum error ... ThomasV will repay you (why not?).
Merit: 508
LOTEO
I think you have a trojan on your machine.

The blockchain record has the message:
13GrQ46YQ3x3fp1p5eHrPKSsMaxjDY9VwC (YoUr MyStErIoUs ThIeF lolz) 0.92329 BTC

The thief transfers to 13GrQ46YQ3x3fp1p5eHrPKSsMaxjDY9VwC -> 1FpsRjQXFgiGzLNwyb2UC7bDNkj99xwdnf -> 14GhadwWV4uaoxWZcNrnU3zWkTrtHbCF2T.

Can't believe it. Time after time I've been scammed by vapourware or delays. Never been robbed straight up from my wallet

Help a 'hero' out!

I don't think you will receive any donation from the forum users, because it seems really strange from you.

No me neither. Got nothing to lose though. I'm an honest guy I just really hope people don't think I'm making this up. I am just a small time bitcoin user with a roof over my head and place to rest my head. So I'm lucky in that respect. If anyone should be asking for donations it should be the poor souls in Nepal that really really need donations.

Just wish I hadn't lost all of bitcoin is all! Sad
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
Bitcoin clients still need to generate a random R value when creating a transaction, and if that isn't random then it can allow an attacker to recover your private key. Thus, while using real-world entropy to generate your private keys is a good idea, be aware that your client still uses an RNG when signing and if it is weak you can easily lose coins. This risk will be mitigated once more Bitcoin clients have support for deterministic R values. I checked OP's transaction and it doesn't appear that this was the case this time.

That is not the case here; Electrum uses deterministic signatures (RFC6979).
The only way a weak RNG could be exploited is for the generation of the seed.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1006
There is an attack vector where your machine could get corrupted while online and then use pre-determined random numbers
or a set of seeds known to an attacker.  So at that point it doesn't matter if the machine is offline,
the attacker caused the victim to unwittingly use a known seed/private key which the attack is
monitoring.

Note that you could mitigate this attack by rolling dice or flipping coins which the
ultra-paranoid should be doing anyway.

Bitcoin clients still need to generate a random R value when creating a transaction, and if that isn't random then it can allow an attacker to recover your private key. Thus, while using real-world entropy to generate your private keys is a good idea, be aware that your client still uses an RNG when signing and if it is weak you can easily lose coins. This risk will be mitigated once more Bitcoin clients have support for deterministic R values. I checked OP's transaction and it doesn't appear that this was the case this time.
legendary
#Free market

Help a 'hero' out!

Help a 'hero' out!
Yup. He also claims to not be very tech savvy, however engages in things that would typically only be done by someone who is tech savvy

Incorrect check my previous post. I am very computer literate and often very careful with my BTC.

No idea what SWX is, like I said, no one I kno knows I have any bit coin or what they even are! NO one has access to my PC. I've spent all night formatting and re-installing everything but I still can't work out if I was compromised or not.... Running in a VM with no other program except Tor and all unnecessary services disabled.

I'm stumped. And in a real tricky situation because I needed that BTC more than you can imagine.

FML
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
Another question: How long has the wallet been used? When is the last time you receive coins with this wallet?

The receiving address has never been used, it seems the key for that specific address was already compromised before the transaction happened. Since all the addresses in an Electrum wallet are generated by the same seed, it is very likely that the seed was compromised
Pages:
Jump to: