Pages:
Author

Topic: keep a small mining farm cool with only air conditioners. - page 3. (Read 501 times)

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Jambler.io
I am pretty sure the math above is correct, but what could go wrong with such a setup?

Not that much if you have temperature monitoring and you set them to downclock or even shut down if it goes off the charts, but there will be a few inconveniences:

Reality tight math, one of the AC units to underdeliver or fail and you're overheating the room, quite a small one, 5 extra miners means 5 3k heaters going full power in a one-bedroom apartment with 30 Celsius outside. Not funny!

Second is the airflow, just as Phil said, it's not going to really work perfectly as it does on paper, you're going to have a hot spot that is going to be way hotter than the entire room opposite the AC units near the ceiling where heat will be essentially trapped in this setup, so I would have two ducts on each side going straight to the back with an end fan and press the hot air with a cold flow for extra airflow and circulation.

So unless the building really heats itself during the day to above what you said due to direct sun, no shade, or materials, it should not be a problem. But, to be honest not really a thing I would want to be in charge of it.
Oh yeah, I'm curious about the end result, unless, of course, it's doxing somebody.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Hmmm how big is the room?

It is an interesting problem since the room is sealed  and there is no effort to do a true cold /hot set of aisles.

How much power do the ac units pull. You have a downclock option if too hot in the peak temps.

I allow some mixing of hot and cold aisles it actually is okay to mix the aisles a bit.

In your case you want the two aisles to mix because the room is sealed.

so if you have perfectly separated hot cold aisles the hot aisle will over heat.

worst case I see is you may need 1 split near hot aisle and space the m30s to let air mix.

bigger the room the better.

Room size is 10m*6m*3m / 32ft*19ft*9.8ft.

Each 60k btu AC pulls about 6kw worth of power, basically 1/3 of the miner's power.

Maybe a few fans sucking air from hot side back to the cold? I would imagine putting an AC in the hot side is going to melt it.

can the cold air from the split be piped to the hot side.

so 10 splits all on cold side but pipe cold air on two to the hot side.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-cooling-setup-for-my-asic-room-5454122

last photo shows a stand a lone ac with two tubes piping air in.

your inside splits should have a cold ac air vent. if you tube two of them to the hot side it will mix the air.

your problem is very close but not exactly the same as what we had.

we got the cold aisle and hot aisle perfect after months of trying.

but the hot aisle was too hot 🥵. becasue we could not vent enough hot air out due to limited vent space.

so we not let some cold aisle bleed into the hot aisle.

so we were 80f cold 105f hot
with the partial mixing
we are 85f cold 95f hot

this is working very well.

you are going to have to do something like it.

your room is bigger then my room is

20long by 8wide by 20high.

some links for vents and fans as your fan idea may be good.

something like this to move some hot air to cold side.
https://www.amazon.com/MOUNTO-COMBO-Heavy-Cylinder-25-foot/dp/B078HQD8DD/ref=sr_1_5?

something like this to move cold air from one split to hot side

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Insulated-Aluminum-Ducting-Ventilation/dp/B0BPKZ2FH7/ref=sr_1_8?

what they will do is even out the room

instead of 75 cold  105 🥵 hot 🥵

maybe 85 cold 95 hot.

with no venting or very little venting mixing cold and hot will be needed to some degree.

the exact degree I am not sure 🤔

I would love to see some photos when it is setup.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U

It is an interesting problem since the room is sealed  and there is no effort to do a true cold /hot set of aisles.

How much power do the ac units pull. You have a downclock option if too hot in the peak temps.

I allow some mixing of hot and cold aisles it actually is okay to mix the aisles a bit.

so if you have perfectly separated hot cold aisles the hot aisle will over heat.

worst case I see is you may need 1 split near hot aisle and space the m30s to let air mix.

Room size is 10m*6m*3m / 32ft*19ft*9.8ft.

Each 60k btu AC pulls about 6kw worth of power, basically 1/3 of the miner's power.

Maybe a few fans sucking air from hot side back to the cold? I would imagine putting an AC in the hot side is going to melt it.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
I am trying to calculate the cooling capacity needed to keep a mining farm running, with the following in mind.

- No intake/exhaust fans, the farm must be sealed and noise kept pretty low.
- No immersion cooling.
- No water cooling.
- Electricity is dirt cheap.

I understand there are better alternatives to cooling down a mining farm (I do that myself) but for this farm, there are no options, so now I am not exactly sure about the setup.

First, let's run some math.

50*M30s or a total of 175KW which is 597,000 BTUs per Hour.

This means a total of 597,000 AC BTU should keep the farm at an "ok" temp, at least on paper.

We have access to 60,000 BTU split AC which means if we place 10 of them, we get a total of  600,000 BTU and the miners should (in theory) run cool, the average ambient temp is 29C / 83F, go to 95 in some days, and down to 20C /68F on some other seasons.

I am pretty sure the math above is correct, but what could go wrong with such a setup?

Also, do you think we can get away with less cooling BTUs during the cold seasons?

So ACs blow in the direction of the miner's intake, cools the miner down, air comes out hot on the other side of the room, and eventually rises to find it's way back to the AC intake to come out cold again, it's obvious that the exhaust space of the miner will always be a lot hotter, contrary to how data centers are designed where they suck the hot air and send it back to the cooling units, but that kind of set up will not be easy/cheap to implement.

Open to all thoughts, especially from those who ran some miners on ACs only.
Pages:
Jump to: