Pages:
Author

Topic: Kick-off Discussion: Existing Forum Temperature Check + Criticism - page 3. (Read 4257 times)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
How many people are familiar with MarkDown on here?

Would updating the forum's editor to be markdown based vs. what's currently used a favorable idea?
Activity: 658
Merit: 502
Doesn't use these forums that often.
Thanks to Theymos, we have a completely new area to talk about the forum software that is being developed. Keep in mind that the code will be created for bitcointalk.org first but will serve as general purpose forum software under the MIT license once we have it delivered and in Alpha/Beta status. Let's start off with a temperature check...

Here are a bunch of questions and topics for everyone to discuss. Please keep the conversation going, keep trolling to a minimum and before you post, please ask yourself if your post contributes to the overall goal of creating this new forum software.
1. What are the existing problems (for you) with SMF and the current state of the forum? Please list as many as you can and feel free to elaborate on the issue.
2. What are the existing features that you would want to keep? Please do not be concerned about how petty it may seem as your opinion is valuable no matter what the feature is.
3. What would you like to see added that's currently not implemented in the forum?
4. Compare and contrast vs other platforms and their features. Would they work well with these forums? Take a look at Reddit, Discourse, Hacker News, Slashdot, Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, etc etc...

The goal is to create a compelling platform that can be used for notable/historical events while keeping useless content out of the way for the consumer.

-Slickage
1. As mentioned before:
  • 2FA and GPG auth
  • Laggy, old interface
  • Lack of proper moderation
  • Signatures! (although it has got better)
  • Ignore button
  • NOT the trust system
  • More user profile fields - like a GPG key field
  • New sleek look
  • Use all that Node.js has to offer Wink
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #QvzOWYIac4eEXeiG
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Thanks to Theymos, we have a completely new area to talk about the forum software that is being developed. Keep in mind that the code will be created for bitcointalk.org first but will serve as general purpose forum software under the MIT license once we have it delivered and in Alpha/Beta status. Let's start off with a temperature check...

Here are a bunch of questions and topics for everyone to discuss. Please keep the conversation going, keep trolling to a minimum and before you post, please ask yourself if your post contributes to the overall goal of creating this new forum software.

1. What are the existing problems (for you) with SMF and the current state of the forum? Please list as many as you can and feel free to elaborate on the issue.
2. What are the existing features that you would want to keep? Please do not be concerned about how petty it may seem as your opinion is valuable no matter what the feature is.
3. What would you like to see added that's currently not implemented in the forum?
4. Compare and contrast vs other platforms and their features. Would they work well with these forums? Take a look at Reddit, Discourse, Hacker News, Slashdot, Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, etc etc...

The goal is to create a compelling platform that can be used for notable/historical events while keeping useless content out of the way for the consumer.

-Slickage

Okay, I'll freely admit that I'm biased, but here are my suggestions.

1)  The trust system that exists with SMF is a really bad idea.  It makes it easier for people like TradeFortress to scam people over the long haul.  Please make sure that the new forum software does not have this system, I really think it is a bad idea, especially with the default trust list.

Also, the bb code has a (fairly minor) flaw that I noticed a while back: I was trying to link to a URL that's https, and it wouldn't let me.  It worked when I changed the url to be http format, but I couldn't do it with the SSL formatted link.  I think this is a flaw, and while relatively minor, it'd be nice to not have to deal with it.

2) Obviously, as I'm using the quote feature with SMF, I like this feature.  I think it's useful and makes it easier to reply to people's comments. 

3) I'm going to second Cyrus's "Mark as spam" recommendation.  Also, I think a better forum search option would be useful.  Oh, and the one thing that may be useful that other forums have: a threaded reply option, where replies show up indented to the the post being replied to.  Sort of in the reddit style, I guess?  The one downside to this, however, is that if there are a lot of replies, the 10th or so reply gets really hard to read, so...I can do without it too.

4) Don't emulate Facebook features, they tend to make their UI worse over time.  Disqus is even worse, I think it doesn't even work in Firefox any more, lately.  (Unless it's my Adblock that broke it, but the rest of the internet looks fine, so I'm inclined to blame Disqus.)
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
- sometimes it's slow
- Handling/managing/searching through hundreds of PMs is cumbersome
- no 2FA/3FA/x-FA
- the default forum search (not the Google one) without selecting some options to narrow the search results yields in strange results (I think it's only a problem for new members). But it's still limited, for example I'm unable to search for "+1 posts" by searching for <+1> or <"+1">. Yeah, I know it's the same with google, but duckduckgo works OK with special characters (if one puts the query between quotation marks) and so does symbolhound.

- Stats, though I wouldn't mind them being much more detailed
- Ignore button, ignoring PMs

- Wouldn't mind the forum responding a bit faster to posting, handling reports, nuking users, etc.
- 2FA/3FA/x-FA
edit: also, the Trust system, as much as the concept of DefaultTrust is very far from being ideal, it's somewhat of a protection for newbies

reddit - I don't like the layout and the voting/downvoting/karmawhoring, all which do not contribute or encourage meaningful discussions, but I like the idea of subreddits.
facebook - there's a joke of a chat... and that's it, not sure if it's something needed on this forum

Those are just a few that popped into my mind now, by no means a comprehensive list. Smiley
administrator
Activity: 3738
Merit: 2948
It's great to see action regarding the new forum software, I was happy to see this new section today.
I'll try to get the ball rolling:

• Multiple Factor Authentication: Signing a Bitcoin address, Yubikey, Google Authenticator, etc.(maybe more than one, with the possibility of picking).
  • Having a mobile version of sorts.
  • Would be nice to have threads grouped by tags too, not just by category. It should make it easier to find similar information that might be in other sections.
  • Bitcointalk.org/language would be nice to redirect towards that respective language section, and so on. This will make sharing Local subforums a lot easier!
  • Perhaps something like a "Mark as spam" button, close to Report to mod. If enough members click, a red flag notifies the mods, while the post gets minimized just like when you ignore the user and gets something like a "Not Spam?" button.
  • A "Say thanks" or a "+1" button could help reduce the number of "+1" posts.
  • Members being notified when someone mentioned them in a post.
  • A "Notifications" dropdown, where recent events are displayed(for instance, a new reply to your post, a user mentioning you in a post, etc.).

I'll edit this post and continue the list, as it is not a complete list.

Good luck Slickage.
Activity: 110
Merit: 11
Principal Software Engineer

-Slickage
Pages:
Jump to: