Pages:
Author

Topic: Kimoto Gravity Well simplier alternative - page 3. (Read 5444 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10
March 07, 2014, 08:47:32 AM
Basicly KGW is just calculating running average, min x hours, up to y days. Then, it limits the max change with the horizon.
However, the calculated average block time should be weighted so the latest block times affects more than the older block times. KGW does not do this.

This is the alternative:

In the simplest theorethical implementation:

Count from the block 0: TimeAverage = (TimeAverage + LastBlockTime)/2

Cannot do that in practise; it would weigth the latest block time too much (50%), and also we cannot walk throught the blockchain everytime we start over, so

Code:
FilterAttenuation = 8
Walkingblock = (block@heightof(currentblock-(FilterAttenuation*2))
TimeAverage = Walkingblock.time
while Walkingblock.heigth < currentblock.height
{
   Walkingblock = Walkingblock.next;
   TimeAverage = (TimeAverage*(FilterAttenuation-1) + WalkingblockTime)/FilterAttenuation;
}  
Actually this simulates quite well RC circuits commonly used on electorics to filter signals.

What do you think? I think it is a lot simpler and more effective that KGW.

I assume WalkingblockTime is Walkingblock.time.

Interesting algorithm. I agree KGW could be simplified by a weighted average calculation.

It looks like it should work well. One question, why does the algorithm go back 2 * FilterAttenuation blocks and not FilterAttenuation blocks only?
Activity: 477
Merit: 500
March 07, 2014, 08:06:55 AM
Basicly KGW is just calculating running average, min x hours, up to y days. Then, it limits the max change with the horizon.
However, the calculated average block time should be weighted so the latest block times affects more than the older block times. KGW does not do this.

This is the alternative:

In the simplest theorethical implementation:

Count from the block 0: TimeAverage = (TimeAverage + LastBlockTime)/2

Cannot do that in practise; it would weigth the latest block time too much (50%), and also we cannot walk throught the blockchain everytime we start over, so

Code:
FilterAttenuation = 8
Walkingblock = (block@heightof(currentblock-(FilterAttenuation*2)))
TimeAverage = Walkingblock.time
while Walkingblock.heigth < currentblock.height
{
   Walkingblock = Walkingblock.next;
   TimeAverage = (TimeAverage*(FilterAttenuation-1) + Walkingblock.time)/FilterAttenuation;
}  
Actually this simulates quite well RC circuits commonly used on electorics to filter signals.

What do you think? I think it is a lot simpler and more effective that KGW.

Edit:
I assume WalkingblockTime is Walkingblock.time.
Ty, fixed! (also the missing parenthesis)
Pages:
Jump to: