Pages:
Author

Topic: Knowledge check: If a government had only 2 functions,what would they be? - page 3. (Read 3305 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
1. Tell the people what they are scared of
2. Tell the people what kind of food they can eat
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon
The correct answer is:
1. National defense
2. Create/enforce laws

I looked it up on Google.
1. Remove the revenue raising sectors of the economy to Asia             
2. Borrow money at an exponential rate
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I would say the second is diplomacy. As long as there are other Governments. The free nation would need to be represented towards them through a single entity.
This is a good point, but what purpose would a diplomat serve? I mean, foreign policy could be summed up in a press release: "We'll trade with anyone who comes in peace, and woe betide any who come in war."

Hm, if you put it that way, it sounds like a job a answering machine could do:

Thanks for your call, a government representative is currently not available.

If you want to trade press 1
If you want to declare war press 2
If you want to wait until a representative is available press 3 we have 12580 Hours of jingle music available to keep you entertained while you wait.

*1*
Thank you for choosing Trade. Just bring your shipment into one of our conveniently located ports, and our representatives will be glad to assist you.

*2*
We're sorry to hear that you've decided to declare war on us. Please record a message after the beep, which will be broadcast to all our militias. Please be advised that some of them do have rather advanced weaponry. *BEEP*

*3*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDKnWi2hNA

Cheesy
Activity: 196
I think division of powers is a very important concept that has to be protected by all means.

Or else a proper open integration into society where no information is hidden and the public are included in all decision making processes.
Activity: 196
1. Ensure all necessary resources (food, water, shelter, etc) for all publlic are available
2. Ensure necessary services ( hospital, police, etc) for all public are available
Activity: 87
I think division of powers is a very important concept that has to be protected by all means.

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
I would say the second is diplomacy. As long as there are other Governments. The free nation would need to be represented towards them through a single entity.
This is a good point, but what purpose would a diplomat serve? I mean, foreign policy could be summed up in a press release: "We'll trade with anyone who comes in peace, and woe betide any who come in war."

Hm, if you put it that way, it sounds like a job a answering machine could do:

Thanks for your call, a government representative is currently not available.

If you want to trade press 1
If you want to declare war press 2
If you want to wait until a representative is available press 3 we have 12580 Hours of jingle music available to keep you entertained while you wait.
So what do you guys think? I don't think he's crazy. Either way, post what you think those 2 functions are and later I'll reveal the answer (again, according to him).
  • Preserve the anthem.
  • Preserve the flag.
Ideally in a museum funded by donations.
+1
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
1) Ask for forgiveness.
2) Disband.
donator
Activity: 544
So what do you guys think? I don't think he's crazy. Either way, post what you think those 2 functions are and later I'll reveal the answer (again, according to him).
  • Preserve the anthem.
  • Preserve the flag.
Ideally in a museum funded by donations.
I'm not so sure about the military. Community Militias can form sufficient means for defense. Wealth People and companies could pay for the equipment while every citizens agrees to defend the county if attacked.
Indeed. In fact, there's solid evidence that military force is not a natural monopoly. Even in cases where a professional military is desired, bureaucratic concerns limit it's "optimal" size below that of a national force, even below that of some smaller markets.

legendary
Activity: 1232
As for the 2 roles of government, one is the security of the land from outside forces, the other is the enforcer of law inside the country.

Pretty sure that's indeed the correct answer: (1) national defense and (2) rule of law.
Yeah, that's my vote too. Essentially:
1. Police/military (they're pretty much the same thing, especially if the military is used only defensively)
2. Courts

The thing is, monopoly power distorts even these two essential functions. In brief, when the government is the law, they are above the law. Market forces can take care of everything, and there is no need for a monopoly on those services.

I also think the first is courts. Basically only acting as neutral and deciding Party when there are disputes between citizens / companies in this country or other countries.

I'm not so sure about the military. Community Militias can form sufficient means for defense. Wealth People and companies could pay for the equipment while every citizens agrees to defend the country if attacked.

As for the 2 roles of government, one is the security of the land from outside forces, the other is the enforcer of law inside the country.

Pretty sure that's indeed the correct answer: (1) national defense and (2) rule of law.
Yeah, that's my vote too. Essentially:
1. Police/military (they're pretty much the same thing, especially if the military is used only defensively)
2. Courts

The thing is, monopoly power distorts even these two essential functions. In brief, when the government is the law, they are above the law. Market forces can take care of everything, and there is no need for a monopoly on those services.
1. Pee into the wind
2. Shit on everything
1. Imperialize
2. Misinform
Activity: 420
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1218
1. Protection of private property, specifically threat to private property from coercion or fraud.

2. Protection of individual liberty from violent coercion.

These two are basically the same, it's about security.

How about this: to provide the benchmark of sexual deviancy??

Take the word "sexual" out of that and you have an essential role of government.  It enforces norms of behaviour and its enforcement action creates a benchmark that people treat as a kind of morality.  
Pages:
Jump to: