Pages:
Author

Topic: Krux DIY Hardware Wallet - page 7. (Read 1949 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
July 24, 2021, 08:11:02 AM
Product or M5StickV device is working perfectly and it's unrelated with code that is still in early testing and just recently released.
Yes, but without that code that's still in early testing, the device won't be a HW wallet at all.  It's precisely that code that makes this thing suitable for a thread in this section, right?

Don't look just picture but look at link and specs, for me ledger wallet looks very cheap especially when you open it and see all the junk that is inside
I did see the specs and all the cool things the M5StickV K210 can do, but when I said it looks cheaply-made, I mean the plastic shell looks cheap.  It could be a great camera and mini Raspberry Pi-type of device, but I just don't like the look of it--and that's my opinion.  Then again, there doesn't seem to be a way to zoom in on the pictures so I can't tell with any great detail how the finish of the shell actually looks but it does look like cheap plastic.  

And as always I respect your opinion about Ledger products, even if I disagree with you.  We all have different tastes.  Have you ordered one of these, by the way?  I'd love to see some high resolution pics and hear a review about its utility as a HW wallet.  

Since Ledger/Trezor is not available in certain countries or there could be trust issues there, with this kind of setup you should be basically risk free.
Are those two brands specifically prohibited in certain countries or are HW wallets in general prohibited?  If it's the latter, then owning this device--even though it's not officially a HW wallet--would be kind of risky, wouldn't it?  Also, I know this is straying from the topic, but what countries have banned HW wallets?
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 24, 2021, 08:02:51 AM
...when for about the same price I could buy a Trezor or Ledger?

Since Ledger/Trezor is not available in certain countries or there could be trust issues there, with this kind of setup you should be basically risk free.
Although indeed that warning is somewhat concerning... (I'm not sure what are the actual risks though if one did save the seed properly; are there any?!)
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
July 24, 2021, 07:26:49 AM
And though this might just be a standard disclaimer, why would I go with a product with some code with this warning
Product or M5StickV device is working perfectly and it's unrelated with code that is still in early testing and just recently released.

On a positive note, it is very small and doesn't look like a standard HW wallet.  On the other hand, from the pictures it looks rather cheaply-made.  I'm not at all familiar with M5Stack, so I could be wrong.  Am I wrong?
Don't look just picture but look at link and specs, for me ledger wallet looks very cheap especially when you open it and see all the junk that is inside, but M5StickV is similar if not exactly the same device like Blockstream Jade wallet is using for their hardware wallet.
It can be used for multiple purposes as mini computer and not only as hardware wallet, and it has camera for QR codes, something that trezor or ledger don't have.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
July 24, 2021, 06:14:45 AM
Lol:

And though this might just be a standard disclaimer, why would I go with a product with some code with this warning:

WARNING: While functional, this is currently alpha-quality software and could have bugs or other issues that might cause you to lose your coins. Use at your own risk!
...when for about the same price I could buy a Trezor or Ledger?

On a positive note, it is very small and doesn't look like a standard HW wallet.  On the other hand, from the pictures it looks rather cheaply-made.  I'm not at all familiar with M5Stack, so I could be wrong.  Am I wrong?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
July 24, 2021, 04:31:02 AM

Krux wallet is turning any M5StickV device into an airgapped hardware wallet.
I knew before that M5Sticks are great for making DIY wallets like this but just now I noticed model M5StickV that is great because it has built in camera and battery, and there is no WiFi or Bluetooth connection.
It is fully Open Source, written in MicroPython and it is using QR codes for communication with other devices.
This is still fully functional wallet but it is still in alpha testing so please report any bugs you notice to developer or his Krux github page.
Krux wallet is not generating seed words so this should be done manually offline and you can import them yourself or with QR code.

Shopping list:

- M5StickV ~ $30 - $50 (included with screen, camera, buttons and battery)
 - MicroSD card

Code:

- Krux Wallet github (by Jeff jreesun )
 - Firmware, Requirements, Building, Installing

Website with step by step installation guide:
https://selfcustody.github.io/krux/

For support installing, using Krux wallet or any other questions you can visit https://matrix.to/#/#krux:matrix.org

Krux Android App for testing:
https://github.com/odudex/krux_binaries/tree/main/Android

Use at your own risk and only store coins you are willing to lose!
Pages:
Jump to: