Pages:
Author

Topic: Large walls moving on Gox orderbook aka Manipulator (Diagram) - page 2. (Read 6477 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Just thinking... Asks and bids which are far from the current price are "less serious" and should be weighted down in this kind of analysis. What matters most is what happens close to the current price. Can you consider adding weighing coefficients which decay as you go further from the price at any given moment?

+1, that would be very useful
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
Just thinking... Asks and bids which are far from the current price are "less serious" and should be weighted down in this kind of analysis. What matters most is what happens close to the current price. Can you consider adding weighing coefficients which decay as you go further from the price at any given moment?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
and updated once more

so what do you say, is it useful / interesting, should this go on bitcoinX ?
legendary
bump... updated
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
P.S. I think this thread belong to the speculation board.

It's not really about speculating, at least the OP isn't. 
legendary
This is great, thank you. The other day I was observing ask/bid curves during the major price swing, and it made me wonder how many players there were, actually... It seemed like the majority of the order book was controlled in unison by a single entity. For example, ask or bid curve retreating or advancing significantly while preserving their overall shapes. Most of orders were being canceled or placed in unison, and relatively few actually executed. Does this mean there was one big player in action (aka "the manipulator"), or there are lots of robots with very similar strategies?

it's so synchronous it can only be a single entity

actually I only posted facts Smiley

can I somehow move it myself?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
This is great, thank you. The other day I was observing ask/bid curves during the major price swing, and it made me wonder how many players there were, actually... It seemed like the majority of the order book was controlled in unison by a single entity. For example, ask or bid curve retreating or advancing significantly while preserving their overall shapes. Most of orders were being canceled or placed in unison, and relatively few actually executed. Does this mean there was one big player in action (aka "the manipulator"), or there are lots of robots with very similar strategies?

Yes. To speculation, agreed.

This has probably been posted in reference to walls before, but anyway:

Stupid sheep runs into a wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaSBsJyOoM

Stupid, stupid sheep, look at them  Wink

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Bitbuy
Where are you getting the 3M $ figure from? http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/mtgoxUSD_depth.html is "only" showing 1,5M $ in bids.

Edit: Never mind, I can now see it's with the asks factored in as well, at the current price. Brainfart Smiley
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
Long term it looks like someone with too much time and money on their hands that knows how to properly hedge both sides of the slopes.  Playing the short game against that could be deadly for the faint of heart though. ;p

as we all saw, playing the long game can be rough, too Smiley

Been pretty smooth sailing over here.
legendary
Long term it looks like someone with too much time and money on their hands that knows how to properly hedge both sides of the slopes.  Playing the short game against that could be deadly for the faint of heart though. ;p

as we all saw, playing the long game can be rough, too Smiley
legendary
first post updated
Activity: 504
Activity: 630
I read this post and see my Bitcion ticker showing 22.65.  The things that happen when you walk away from your computer for a bit.
legendary
I have been logging the mtgox order book lately. thinking about new charts for bitcoinX.

thought I would share these large movements of the order book. ~$250000 AND ~BTC50000 in the glimpse of an eye

edit: updated 2012-01-20
edit: updated 2012-02-16

since the bitcoinica burst the orderbook grew again... at peak it was ~ 3 M$

data points every ~17 minutes.

subplots:
first: bitcoin price [USD] (P)
second: B + (A * P) ~ estimate of complete orderbook value [USD]
third:
    blue: all bids in the full order book summed up [USD, left] (B)
    red: all asks in the full order book summed up [BTC, right] (A)

Pages:
Jump to: