Pages:
Author

Topic: LEAKED - Latest status on forum software - page 2. (Read 4569 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
February 07, 2014, 08:06:42 PM
Normal websites only have to worry about automated vulnerability scanners, weak admin passwords and common misconfigurations when it comes to security.

BitcoinTalk.org is in a different kind of situation. It is in the cross-fire of cyber-warfare. Plenty of malicious hackers use this website for nefarious and non-nefarious reasons. It is likely to be the target of 0day exploits. Anything that runs on BitcoinTalk.org needs to be battle-hardened. We should be running OLD software that is known to be highly secure and stable. 3 year old web servers are a definite no go. We should be using 30 year old web server software. Some hacker would be browsing the forums one day, accidentally break something some hipster wrote yesterday and then realize they've just found a 0day in node.js and decide to own the forum.
In our defence, Node.js is used by big companies like Wal-mart and PayPal, so we won't be alone when a vulnerability is found. Also, I'm sure that our Google-level security bounties will help persuade people against attacking us maliciously.

That being said, I wasn't party to the negotiations, so I have no idea what language the forum will be built in.

Wtf kind of shit is this, building a software studio for one fucking forum
Well, when you have a few million dollars just sitting around, you might as well. Seriously, we're making enough money that we can support a dedicated full-time development team indefinitely, if we wanted to.
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
February 07, 2014, 04:59:38 PM
nobody picked up on his play on bangbus? wangbus?
Activity: 658
Merit: 502
Doesn't use these forums that often.
February 07, 2014, 04:17:17 PM
Yay, the developer's a node.js guy. \o/
donator
Activity: 1218
February 06, 2014, 06:38:50 PM
Satoshi claimed to be Japanese, this Wang guy is rather Chinese.

Might be TradeFortress again not Satoshi   Cheesy

i would lol so hard if it was TF.
That'd almost be worth it just for the historical level of ridiculousness. I'd fully support this progression of events.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
February 06, 2014, 06:27:26 PM

i would lol so hard if it was TF.

Then maybe theymos needs to cash out

Wtf kind of shit is this, building a software studio for one fucking forum
donator
Activity: 1419
February 06, 2014, 05:14:42 PM
We should be using 30 year old web server software.

Even Mosaic is only 21.

I remember when trolling was an art form and people put a lot of thought into it. Sad
Activity: 115
Merit: 11
February 06, 2014, 05:07:44 PM

legendary
February 06, 2014, 02:47:43 PM
For $350K I can do the whole forum, and in less than a year. Also what happen to people that had to build the most of the forum software and show it to the community thread? Theymos we need answers and now.

Thank you leak, you did this community a service!

Sorry, satoshi has to get paid without moving his stash
legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
February 06, 2014, 02:03:23 PM
350k holy shit, we only wanted a donation button for tips..

You should have wasted the money on a superbowl ad.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
February 06, 2014, 01:56:26 PM
For $350K I can do the whole forum, and in less than a year. Also what happen to people that had to build the most of the forum software and show it to the community thread? Theymos we need answers and now.

Thank you leak, you did this community a service!
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
February 06, 2014, 01:50:29 PM
This would be good news actually. Honestly, nothing would get done if this had to be discussed endlessly in the community, hiring a professional studio may actually get it done.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
February 06, 2014, 01:41:41 PM
We should be running OLD software that is known to be highly secure and stable. 3 year old web servers are a definite no go. We should be using 30 year old web server software. Some hacker would be browsing the forums one day, accidentally break something some hipster wrote yesterday and then realize they've just found a 0day in node.js and decide to own the forum.

Vbulletin 3.8.7 PL3
It's super secure, this version never got hacked yet.

But Hell, current software is good too.
legendary
February 06, 2014, 01:30:02 PM
Stupid kids want a shiny forum
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 06, 2014, 01:27:28 PM
Node is just a server it doesn't require client JavaScript ever. That's up to the developer. It doesn't magically change html all into JavaScript.

But yes I hate these new hipster languages.

I had a quick read. Yes your right it doesn't require client-side js. It essentially functions as any "real" "normal" webserver would without it and doesn't do all the "event-driven" stuff which kinda makes using it pointless.

But anyway, this is the way I see it.

Normal websites only have to worry about automated vulnerability scanners, weak admin passwords and common misconfigurations when it comes to security.

BitcoinTalk.org is in a different kind of situation. It is in the cross-fire of cyber-warfare. Plenty of malicious hackers use this website for nefarious and non-nefarious reasons. It is likely to be the target of 0day exploits. Anything that runs on BitcoinTalk.org needs to be battle-hardened. We should be running OLD software that is known to be highly secure and stable. 3 year old web servers are a definite no go. We should be using 30 year old web server software. Some hacker would be browsing the forums one day, accidentally break something some hipster wrote yesterday and then realize they've just found a 0day in node.js and decide to own the forum.
legendary
February 06, 2014, 01:19:08 PM
That's server side bro
But I'm sure JavaScript will be used, it already is lol

What I meant was that javascript would be required for the website to function. I'm not whitelisting bitcointalk.org. Typically node.js requires javascript to run on the client as well as server, I think thats by design. My knowledge of it is limited. I hate javascript because it is evil.

Node is just a server it doesn't require client JavaScript ever. That's up to the developer. It doesn't magically change html all into JavaScript.

But yes I hate these new hipster languages.
February 06, 2014, 01:09:58 PM
That's server side bro

What I meant was that javascript would be required for the website to function. I'm not whitelisting bitcointalk.org. Typically node.js requires javascript to run on the client as well as server, I think thats by design. My knowledge of it is limited. I hate javascript because it is evil.
legendary
February 06, 2014, 01:06:43 PM
I deep-searched the asian dude. He's a node.js guy
Is the new forum software going to use javascript?

If one line of javascript appears on bitcointalk.org, me and my sockpuppets are leaving forever. That will be the sign that the forum has gone full-hipster.

That's server side bro
February 06, 2014, 01:03:45 PM
I deep-searched the asian dude. He's a node.js guy
Is the new forum software going to use javascript?

If one line of javascript appears on bitcointalk.org, me and my sockpuppets are leaving forever. That will be the sign that the forum has gone full-hipster.
legendary
February 06, 2014, 01:03:36 PM
So this is how satoshi cashes out
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
February 06, 2014, 12:58:53 PM
Who knows if James wang is satoshi or slickage is his company.  Cheesy
Jk, Looks like it's real
http://hicapacity.org/page3/

You can find bitcoin, Nodejs and james wang on same page, they did some events in 2013
Pages:
Jump to: