Pages:
Author

Topic: Learn to be safe and secured online - page 2. (Read 275 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 262
October 09, 2023, 05:57:21 PM
Scammers are creating new ways to scam the innocent people. With more modern technology scammers are adapting to new methods. Although the method you mentioned is kind of old but they are still in use and effective. Thousand of dollars are lost to these scammers daily.
New developments are coming due to the advanced technology age. As people adopt new technologies to improve their privacy and secure their assets and other valuable information online, scammers are also working hard to bridge the new technological ways that have been discovered. That is why we need to be very cautious with our privacy online.

Some months ago, I was almost scammed by a clipboard virus. Basically this virus replaces the original sending address with a phishing address. As a result all funds goes to an entirely different address. And it cannot be undone.

I don't know how I got infected. Maybe I downloaded some things or clicked suspicious links. After the incident I started using, sandbox, VM type of software, to test new things or links if I were unsure.
Malware attacks are very bad, and you will be wondering their source; mostly, they are gotten through the visitation of anyhow links that are unofficial while trying to download or install some software on your devices, and sometimes through email spam messages.
With or without a malware virus on your device, always double-check your bitcoin address before sending bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
'Life's but a walking shadow'!
October 09, 2023, 05:20:23 PM
I don't know how I got infected. Maybe I downloaded some things or clicked suspicious links. After the incident I started using, sandbox, VM type of software, to test new things or links if I were unsure.
It is basically impossible to be 100% certain that your device is free from malware or any other type of attack, thus you should hodl your funds offline, only keep a small amount of funds in a hot/online wallet because such funds are susceptible to being hacked and stolen.
Did you run a malware/virus check and find anything? We hear of these clipboard style virus' often, but with modern security OS' and security software it seems unlikely to receive one unless someone  is a victim of a phishing attack.
Open source and security-based operating systems are great to use, but mind you that if your device is online, you cannot be sure it is completely free from malware and other forms of attack, even if you use such OS', thus your assets should be stored offline in a hardware wallet.
Activity: 966
Merit: 701
October 09, 2023, 04:03:34 PM

Some months ago, I was almost scammed by a clipboard virus. Basically this virus replaces the original sending address with a phishing address. As a result all funds goes to an entirely different address. And it cannot be undone.
I have heard of these clipboard virus used by scammers, I’m not a technical expert but I always make sure I double check the wallet address I’m sending bitcoins to just to be sure I’m not making a silly mistake that will cost me. People who mostly are a victim of this scam are those who copy sending addresses without cross checking. this 
copper member
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
October 09, 2023, 03:52:31 PM
Scammers are creating new ways to scam the innocent people. With more modern technology scammers are adapting to new methods. Although the method you mentioned is kind of old but they are still in use and effective. Thousand of dollars are lost to these scammers daily.

Did you run a malware/virus check and find anything? We hear of these clipboard style virus' often, but with modern security OS' and security software it seems unlikely to receive one unless someone  is a victim of a phishing attack. For this reason taking absolute care around anything cryptocurrency related is vital. So it's good you've taken some measures to prevent this in future.
Activity: 583
Merit: 271
October 09, 2023, 02:56:56 PM

Activity: 574
Merit: 308
October 09, 2023, 12:10:14 PM
Security is everyone's responsibility and it has become very necessary and paramount to protect ourselves from cyber attacks as we engage ourselves online on a daily basis. As technology is advancing and improving is the same way hackers are also advancing in their methods by using different social engineering. This is not the first time something like this is being discussed in the forum but I think it's necessary to be bringing it up on a timely basis in order to keep us abreast. Let quickly brush on the following techniques use by hackers and how to protect yourself from them.
  • Phishing
  • Smishing
  • Vishing

Phishing is a type of cybersecurity attack which happens when malicious actors send messages (email to be precise) pretending to be a friend or a company so as to  steal information or corrupt their devices.
Example of Phishing

This unfortunate love story started in the Philippines in the year 2000 and was delivered with the subject line I Love You along with instructions to read the attached email. The virus was tracked to an email address registered to an apartment in Manila, which led to Onel de Guzman. He created the Love Bug virus, not thinking it would reach as many people as it did.Within 24 hours of releasing the virus, it had spread across the world.
Remember that it can be in form of link too and not necessarily need to be a file.

Smishing is similar to phishing just because it has a common goal. However, it uses deceptive text messages to manipulate victims into giving out sensitive personal information such as bank account details, credit card numbers and login credentials.
Example of Smishing

I have decided to call this lookalike walmart attack because their aim is to portray themselves as those big firms who you probably have transactions with, in other to trick you into believing they are rewarding you. At times, you can still get messages like this even if you have never used their services before. Sometimes, some amateur attackers just send these messages at random.

Vishing is very similar to phishing with the exception that this uses phone calls. This is a manipulative practice of making phone calls or voice messages pretending to be from well known companies in order to make individuals to reveal personal information, such as bank details and credit/debit card numbers and more.
Example of Vishing

Have you ever received a phone call, telling you your account has issues and the person you are talking to is a supposed customer service agent? That is Vishing. They pretend that they are from the banks or other institutions that houses your private information. Their aim, is to get those data off you and use it in dangerous ways.

How do we protect ourselves from being a victim of these attacks?

The simple way to avoid these attacks are by following the preventive measures which may include:
Don’t ever click on SMS or email you are sent from unknown sources. Go to the company's website for verification by typing their URL.
Check the names of the sender and most importantly, the links too. Does it make sense for a reputable organization to use bit.ly? Ask yourself that amidst others.
Never share private information over the phone. Its better you meet with the company physically to confirm.
Verify the number of the so called company that is calling you. Check their website or the internet to confirm if the numbers correlate. However, know that, numbers too can be cloned, so it’s better to just stick with not sharing sensitive information over online or phone call.
Always download your apps from playstore or apple store for android and apple device respectively because a malware named trojan can be embedded inside those Apps you download from untrusted sources. Better safe than sorry.
Do not visit sites that starts with Https because these are sites that are not secured with Tls(Transport Layer Security) or as it was previously known, Ssl (No more in use). Secured sites url should start with https.

A compilation of these tips and more on cyber security can be read via this documents
Pages:
Jump to: