Pages:
Author

Topic: Lebron James says Rocket GM wasn't informed about Hong Kong - page 2. (Read 281 times)

Activity: 980
Merit: 62
Pretty interesting stuff here, seems like we're seeing some backtrack from people in the NBA as an attempt to 'kiss and make up' with China in order to get 'good' relations back with China.

I don't see how a US company, the NBA, feels as if this is so much of a threat that they're willing to let look the other way on people getting LITERALLY killed in the streets due to fighting for their freedom.

But if you read a little bit more, you find the reason into why he did this.

James has a lifetime endorsement deal with Nike, and China is the biggest source of growth for shoe companies. Nike recently announced its plans to release an apparel line based on the motto of James’s media company: “More Than an Athlete.”

Check it out: https://www.wsj.com/articles/lebron-james-says-tweet-supporting-hong-kong-protests-was-misinformed-11571107697?mod=hp_lead_pos9

Seems normal to make statements like this one.
Nike has a lot of profits from the products that are produced in the Chinese soil so they need to keep the bonds between US and China strong. And in order to do so, athletes like Lebron James is a great tool.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Either he was forced/instructed to say something like this by the NBA or he needs that sweet sweet sponsorship revenue. I don't understand why people would support China at this point after all the things we can see. I really like the Chinese but I feel bad for them when most of their news sources are censored.

I'm going to assume that Nike had instructed him to make a statement. I highly doubt the NBA would reach out to him, and risk a potential issue of silencing certain players' opinion.

Chinese people are great, though they are in a horrible situation with a government who wants to control every single thing that they do. HK fears that they're going to be under the same control as the Chinese people, which is why they're fighting to hard to ensure this isn't their future.

The Chinese government is horrible, they are oppressive to their people and they're willing to LITERALLY kill their own people in the streets to continue their control. Hopefully the world steps up and ignores the business considerations and notices that what China is doing isn't okay.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1329
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
Either he was forced/instructed to say something like this by the NBA or he needs that sweet sweet sponsorship revenue. I don't understand why people would support China at this point after all the things we can see. I really like the Chinese but I feel bad for them when most of their news sources are censored.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Pretty interesting stuff here, seems like we're seeing some backtrack from people in the NBA as an attempt to 'kiss and make up' with China in order to get 'good' relations back with China.

I don't see how a US company, the NBA, feels as if this is so much of a threat that they're willing to let look the other way on people getting LITERALLY killed in the streets due to fighting for their freedom.

But if you read a little bit more, you find the reason into why he did this.

James has a lifetime endorsement deal with Nike, and China is the biggest source of growth for shoe companies. Nike recently announced its plans to release an apparel line based on the motto of James’s media company: “More Than an Athlete.”

Check it out: https://www.wsj.com/articles/lebron-james-says-tweet-supporting-hong-kong-protests-was-misinformed-11571107697?mod=hp_lead_pos9
Pages:
Jump to: