Pages:
Author

Topic: Ledger Nano S and a few questions - page 2. (Read 1642 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
November 14, 2017, 01:56:15 PM
What if i want to claim like 50% of my Bch, Ledger has a specific wallet for Bch, isn't that safe?

What if i send my Btc to two different Ledgers, do i get two private keys?

To be on the safe side you should follow the steps already posted. FIRST send your bitcoins to your ledger. After this Step you already secured your BTC.
From now on you "only" risk your BCH when importing your private keys into a different software. But if you use a reputable wallet, nothing should happen.

Your ledger is a HD (hierarchical deterministic) wallet. This means your wallet creates addresses (private/public key pair) based on your seed and a variable/counter (to put it simply).
So every ledger wallet is holding multiple adresses.
You can get a second ledger and initialize it with either (1) the same seed as your first ledger or (2) with a new seed.

Activity: 966
Merit: 342
November 14, 2017, 10:32:19 AM
Thank you so much for the answers!

Just recieved my Ledger.

Two more question.

I have my bitcoins in a wallet.dat file(using bitcoin core). Can i first send my bitcoins to Ledger and then claim my Bch(my private key is the same?)or do i need to claim my Bch before sending my coins to Ledger.

Can i claim Bch in pieces?
Lets say i move 0.5Btc to Ledger and claim 0.5Bch and then repeat that step?

The best thing is to first send the BTC to Ledger, and then claim BCH. Why? Because you have to use your private key to claim the BCH.

So, yes it is possible to claim in pieces, but because of this security risk I suggest to first send all BTC and then claim all BCH.
When you claim your BCH with your private key, also send them immediately to another wallet (or if you prefer to sell it, to an exchange), again because of the same risk.

What if i want to claim like 50% of my Bch, Ledger has a specific wallet for Bch, isn't that safe?

When you use two different seeds, you have two private keys.

You can't send your BCH from bitcoin core, you need to use the private key with a bitcoin cash wallet. That's why I suggest you to claim all BCH ASAP, but you can send them to different wallets ofcourse.
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
November 14, 2017, 06:45:20 AM

Just recieved my Ledger.

Two more question.

I have my bitcoins in a wallet.dat file(using bitcoin core). Can i first send my bitcoins to Ledger and then claim my Bch(my private key is the same?)or do i need to claim my Bch before sending my coins to Ledger.

The best thing is to first send the BTC to Ledger, and then claim BCH. Why? Because you have to use your private key to claim the BCH.

So, yes it is possible to claim in pieces, but because of this security risk I suggest to first send all BTC and then claim all BCH.
When you claim your BCH with your private key, also send them immediately to another wallet (or if you prefer to sell it, to an exchange), again because of the same risk.

November 14, 2017, 03:09:20 AM

Just recieved my Ledger.

Two more question.

November 14, 2017, 01:37:20 AM

Just recieved my Ledger.

Two more question.

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4316
November 03, 2017, 05:07:12 PM
You don't even need to send any funds... Just note down the addresses that have been generated... Then re-initialise the device (wrong PIN 3 times), select the "X" symbol when asked if you want to configure as a new device... Enter your seed (NOTE: This takes a LONG time)... After that's done, double check that the addresses being generated are the same... If so, you have it all correct. Smiley
Activity: 81
November 03, 2017, 12:06:38 PM
7. Can i "test" my passphrase?

If you are talking about bruteforcing ledger pin code, you can check out from passwordmeter.com.
If you enter the wrong pin code 3 times in a row, the device will reinitialize, so bruteforcing the pin is not really possible.

I don't know of a way as to test your pass phrase, apart from reinitializing it the device using your passphrase and see if everything is still there. That's what I did: I loaded some small amount on the wallet, reset it, and reseed it using my passphrase, and sure enough everything was still there  Wink
Activity: 840
Merit: 508
Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!
November 03, 2017, 10:09:01 AM
1. If i lose my Ledger nano S(the device), is the coins lost forever?

Nope, if you have the seed written up from the time when you did setup the nano S.

2. What happens if Ledger goes out of buisness?

Then it is broken. You will be able to access the funds with the seed that you generated.

3. Can i accidentally lose my coins? For example resetting the Ledger?

You cannot lose your coins unless you lose the ledger nano s and the seed which you have written upon the setup.

4. If i move my coins before the 3rd hardfork, do i still get segwitx2 coins?

I do  not think so. Im not sure but usually on hard forks you have to have coins on the address before getting any fork coins.

5. Can i use the link below to seperate Bitcoin from Bitcoin Cash?
https://coinsutra.com/bitcoin-cash-ledger-wallet/

It looks about right to me.

6. i have for example Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash on the same ledger do i have two different passphrases? Is it better to buy two Ledger instead?

No need for that. Nano S should allow you to store quite many cryptocurrencies on the same hardware wallet.

If you are talking about bruteforcing ledger pin code, you can check out from passwordmeter.com.
November 03, 2017, 07:38:23 AM
So i have just ordered a Ledger Nano S, i just want to get some answers on a few questions.

6. i have for example Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash on the same ledger do i have two different passphrases? Is it better to buy two Ledger instead?

https://ledger.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005161445-What-if-I-lose-my-Ledger-Wallet-
When you install your Ledger, you receive a seed of 24 words. These you have to write down and save very good.
If saved, you can use the same seed in another Ledger or another wallet using the same seeds (there are several wallets available).

So:
1. If you have your seed no problem.
2. If you have your seed no problem
3. If you have your seed no problem
4. If you have bitcoins on a wallet from which you have the private key, you will have coins on both chains. If you have them on an exchange wallet it depends on the exchange.
5. I prefer the information on the site of ledger itself: https://www.ledger.fr/2017/07/31/managing-the-bitcoin-cash-fork/
6. Ledger can have both, no problem. Second ledger can be handy if you want to, but it's not necessary.
7. Yes, why not?
November 03, 2017, 07:30:46 AM
So i have just ordered a Ledger Nano S, i just want to get some answers on a few questions.

Pages:
Jump to: