Pages:
Author

Topic: Legitimate Threats, Legitimate Demands - page 7. (Read 5475 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
August 24, 2011, 08:59:03 PM
How do you define 'legitimate'? How do you define 'demand'?

I would assume like most other people. Are you unfamiliar with those words?
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
August 24, 2011, 08:43:00 PM
How do you define 'legitimate'? How do you define 'demand'?

It might result in a lot more friendly discussion if you were to use e.g. the word 'promise' instead of 'threaten'. Changing the language like that should get you towards the language of contracts, and ease access to the large body of knowledge that exists in that field.
Elder Crypto God
August 24, 2011, 08:23:40 PM
For the sake of discussion, I agree that your conclusions follow from your premises. However, how do you determine what are really your rights and mine?

That's far beyond the scope of this discussion. Let's keep this focused on arguing about whether or not I can threaten to do what I have the right to do, or demand you to do what you have the right to do.
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
Apparently I inspired this image.
August 24, 2011, 08:13:42 PM
For the sake of discussion, I agree that your conclusions follow from your premises. However, how do you determine what are really your rights and mine?
Elder Crypto God
August 24, 2011, 08:07:16 PM
Here are the conditions for legitimate threats.

• If I have the right to do X then it is legitimate for me to threaten to do X.
  • If I don't have the right to do X then it is illegitimate for me to threaten to do X.

Here are some examples. I have the right to leave the room. Therefore, it is legitimate for me to threaten to leave the room. I have the right to hang up on you. Therefore, it is legitimate for me to threaten to hang up on you. I don't have the right to kill you. Therefore, it is illegitimate for me to threaten to kill you. I don't have the right to torture you. Therefore, it is illegitimate for me to threaten to torture you.

It seems simple so far but now for a real test.

I have the right to allow you to starve. I have the right to not give you my money. Therefore? It is legitimate for me to threaten to allow you to starve. It is legitimate for me to threaten to not give you my money.

What demands can I make? Here are the conditions for legitimate demands.

• If you have the right to do X then it is legitimate for me to demand that you do X.
  • If you don't have the right to do X then it is illegitimate for me to demand that you do X.

You have the right to kill yourself. Therefore, it is legitimate for me to demand that you kill yourself. You don't have the right to kill someone else. Therefore, it is illegitimate for me to demand that you kill someone else.

So please, stop acting as if threatening to allow you to starve is the same as threatening to kill you. Those are not the same kinds of threats at all. They both will result in your death but one is legitimate and the other is not. I can legitimately threaten anything I have the right to do. I can legitimately demand anything you have the right to do. I have the right to allow you to starve. You have the right to work. If I threaten to allow you to starve unless you work, it's legitimate. Work or starve.
Pages:
Jump to: