Pages:
Author

Topic: Libertarians/ACists who support a rollback of MtGox transactions - page 2. (Read 2415 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
Except that you told me you would keep that car safe, and instead left the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked.

Where/when exactly was that said?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
MtGox is the only responsible party we're liable to catch, so, it is reasonable that they should pay to make the damaged account(s) whole, and return things, as much as possible, to the state they were in prior to the attack.

How is MtGox responsible? That's like me letting you keep your car in my front yard with a "for sale" sign on it, the car gets stolen and then you demand that I buy you a new one.

Except that you told me you would keep that car safe, and instead left the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. The thief (should we find him) would still have to pay you back, because they did the actual deed, but since it was your failure to secure my belongings that caused the loss you are liable for that loss.
Elder Crypto God
MtGox is the only responsible party we're liable to catch, so, it is reasonable that they should pay to make the damaged account(s) whole, and return things, as much as possible, to the state they were in prior to the attack.

How is MtGox responsible? That's like me letting you keep your car in my front yard with a "for sale" sign on it, the car gets stolen and then you demand that I buy you a new one.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Anyone who is against the rollback is just upset that they don't get to profit from the hack.

I don't really have a dog in the race, as I had less than .01 BTC in the account, and $0.00, But here's my interpretation:

Libertarians/AnCaps believe that the only one who should suffer for a crime is the one responsible, which is why we're so big on restitution.

Should we ever find and track down the hacker, he would be liable for the damages his (Or her) attack did to MtGox. (probably not lost revenue, but definitely for the cost of fixing the accounts.)
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
firstbits: 121vnq
err no. libertarianism and rollbacks have nothing to do with each other, nor do libertarianism and "regulation". All sorts of voluntary regulations could be offered in the bitcoin economy.

besides, i fail to see how openly profiting off of stolen funds has anything to do with a libertarian(left or right) perspective on the world where being free of coercion is paramount or an anarcho-capitalism perspective where individual property rights are held up as the highest good.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
It's mtgox's decision.

The owner of the site never promised you anything when you deposited your BTC or USD there. Please show me a contract signed by either party guaranteeing that there would be not rollbacks.

You have basically entrusted him to do whatever he likes with your BTC.  It's the risk you were willing to take. 
Elder Crypto God
Do you actually know anything about contract law or are you just talking out of your ass?

I've studied libertarian theories of contracts and title transfer.

Tons of contracts are unenforceable, even from a libertarian perspective.

That's true. For example, you can't have a contract to buy a square circle because those are logically impossible. You also can't have a contract to sell true love because feelings of love aren't something that can be consciously controlled. However, this seems completely irrelevant because I highly doubt MtGox had anything that was unenforceable from a libertarian perspective. Do you even know? I doubt that as well.

If you agree to a contract that gives someone authority to reverse transactions or simply take your money and run then there's nothing you can legitimately do about it except learn not to agree to such foolish contracts in the future. I have a feeling that you understand my point is valid but instead wish to engage in personal attacks. Of course, you can prove me wrong by explaining what you think is unenforceable about what you agreed to with MtGox. Otherwise, this is just a red herring.

Activity: 126
Just wondering how many rationalizing hypocrites we have on this board. Smiley

What does the contract say that you agreed to when you joined their service? They can do anything within those bounds. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have voluntarily agreed to it.

Do you actually know anything about contract law or are you just talking out of your ass? Tons of contracts are unenforceable, even from a libertarian perspective.
Elder Crypto God

What does the contract say that you agreed to when you joined their service? They can do anything within those bounds. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have voluntarily agreed to it.
Activity: 126
Pages:
Jump to: